X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NuuB, GS550EF and compatable parts

Hey guys...
    This is my first post by the way...
    So im lookin into buying my first bike, which is a either 85 or 86 GS550EF. its a project but a light one at that... merely gas tank (which is a bugger to find one!), carb rebuild, new side panels, and a good once over...

Anyways, im wondering what other GS550 models have compatable parts like gas tank, body parts, carbs, rims, tires... anything really that come off other GS550 models that will work for the EF.

I know that the EF was only made in 85 and 86, but is it something like I can take a tank of a ES or an E and use it on the EF with the same body lines and stuff, like are they they same?
    Any info would be great!

basically a list of whats compatable between models would be great. Im just finding it SUPER hard to find specific parts for the EF... :S if i could make the search a little broader would be great!

Also what does the EF stand for?

Andrew

Let me be the first to officially welcome you to TheGSR...

WELCOME!!!

With any luck, member BassCliff will be along with his "Mega-welcome" and that'll point ya to all kinds of great stuff.

So, it sounds like you have a 1985 GS550E(F). The F is actually a year designation and NOT part of the model number (It's either a 1985 GS550E OR a GS550EF, both indicate the year. See this link for further info:

GS Model Chart

The E designation indicates that you've got a sport model with the 1/4 fairing. I've got the ES (aka GS550ESF or 1985 GS550ES) with the E indicating a sport model and the S indicating the 1/2 fairing. There is also an GS550L version which is a cruiser style. Be sure to check out the front page of this site and check out EVERYTHING, including the gallery where you'll see pics of the various models and years.

As far as parts compatibility goes, you in good shape sticking with the 83-86 GS550E's or ES's and, to some degree, L's. That said, there are many parts from many years that other members have discovered to be compatible or made work even though they're not technically compatible. One favorite is upgrading the rear shock with a later model GSXR shock from various bikes.

If you're interested, I recently started up a list of sorts for us members who have these fairly uncommon bikes (83-86 GS550E's and ES's). Check out and sign up by following the link in my signature.

Once again, welcome and best of luck with your GS!

Comment

thanks

Thanks for the quick reply!

Heres a pic of my bike that I'll likely be getting...

So in that case then... what does the 1/4 fairing and 1/2 fairing differ? I assume 1/2 fairing would be more body panels?

Andrew
      Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2008, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BeABiker View Post

So in that case then... what does the 1/4 fairing and 1/2 fairing differ? I assume 1/2 fairing would be more body panels?

Andrew
        yep, half has i believe partial removeable lowers.

welcome, and i'm jealous! i want to get an ES or EF 550 badly

Comment

Andrew
          Hmmm....looks like I've learned something new today, judging by your pic. I've got an ES and I've my fairing doesn't go all the way down like yours does. I guess the F on your bike is actually yet another version level and I'm guessing it was only available in 86. So that means there's the E = 1/4 fairing - windscreen only pretty much, the ES = 1/2 fairing - windscreen + partial lower fairing (see my pics), and the EF = windscreen + full lower fairing.

I look forward to seeing you get that bike on the road!

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I think the lower fairing on that bike is a Lockhart aftermarket piece. The red/black ES I just picked up came with those parts that the orig owner bought with the bike new.

Comment

Hey guys...
              This is my first post by the way...
              So im lookin into buying my first bike, which is a either 85 or 86 GS550EF. its a project but a light one at that... merely gas tank (which is a bugger to find one!), carb rebuild, new side panels, and a good once over...

Anyways, im wondering what other GS550 models have compatable parts like gas tank, body parts, carbs, rims, tires... anything really that come off other GS550 models that will work for the EF.

I know that the EF was only made in 85 and 86, but is it something like I can take a tank of a ES or an E and use it on the EF with the same body lines and stuff, like are they they same?
              Any info would be great!

basically a list of whats compatable between models would be great. Im just finding it SUPER hard to find specific parts for the EF... :S if i could make the search a little broader would be great!

Also what does the EF stand for?

Andrew

You will find next to nothing for performance parts including exhausts.

The bikes ran from 83 - 86 I think. limited prod run could not make for a viabnle market it seems.

Wiseco made a piston kit for em back in the day.

Engine is identical to the GS 550 L of the same model years as are carbs (jetting is slightly different between L and E models and different from canada to US)

parts can often be found on Ebay
              most want crazy amounts for parts but once in a while a real parts person with realistic expectations has one and you can pick up parts for nearly nothing.

E woudl indocate it was not originally faired
              I think the es had a chin fairing and the ese had a full factory fairing.

F is the year it was produced mine is GS 550 LD D being good old 1983

Comment

E = Standard
                ES = Sport
                EF = Faired

If you have an '86 with the "new style" gas cap, good luck in finding a replacement tank. They were only out the one or two years and I haven't seen many of them. If you have the older style gas cap (standard round one), you should be able to find a tank from any of the E/ES models from 83 through 85... Just about everything else is swappable as well though look out on the front forks... Some years they had a brake activated anti-dive system on them (cap em off and get progressive springs), Other years they had an adjustable pre-load up there.

Comment

Anyone know where I can get those full fairings? I have the little 1/4 fairing, and LOVE that full fairing. Crazy jealous!!!!

Comment

awesome

this old thread helps a lot. I have an 85 EF that needs a lot of work.

Comment

There is not much difference between ES And EF, just the addition of the lower fairing, or "belly pan" on the EF. There are numerous differences between the faired models and the E, relating to the lack of fairing. Someone pointed out standard vs sport, and the E has taller bars, and no fairings whatsoever. Also, the front brake M/C, speedo bracket, headlight/mount/bracketry are different. Drivetrain and everything else is the same. The faired models are relatively rare in the states because they were only imported here for the first 2 years of the model, and the latter 2 to Canada and Europe, as Suzuki thought the market was glutted with faired sport bikes and/or sales weren't up to par.

Comment

Working...
                      X