Stuck Jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck Jets

So, I'm taking another look at the carburetor. When I first disassembled it, all but one jet came out. Now, only one came out. The others are stuck, the heads shorn off.

How do I get them out?15689766643687781010648390677081.jpg
    1980 GS550E

Here is another one. Basically, there's nothing to grip to, on all of them.
    I figured I might as well replace them anyway.

15689767543217317238528862329691.jpg
    1980 GS550E

Comment

When you remove stuff like this, best first to hit with some penetrating oil...and wait. Then you need a screwdriver modified to fit the jet head completely by grinding back the screwdrivers shank - otherwise fun ensues . Since the jets came out before, they probably aren't stuck that bad. A left handed drill bit (about 3/4 the size of the jet's head) used carefully should bite into the jet and spin it out.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I agree with the left hand drill bit. Be careful, don't drill into the carb body. If the drill bit doesn't bite and cause the jet to spin out, you can take an appropriately sized torx head driver and lightly tap into the hole you drilled. You can also apply a little heat.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

I think it might be a good idea to replace the jets, at least the pilot jets. What size are they? I tried looking up the parts in the service manual, but it lists "Pilot Jet #1" and "Pilot Jet #2," Yet I only see one jet under the rubber plug.
          I've heard that aftermarket rebuild kits can be pretty shoddy. What would you recommend?
          Last edited by ZombiePotatoSalad; 09-21-2019, 10:06 AM.
          1980 GS550E

Comment

Get genuine mikuni...according to this carb spec chart, you want #40 pilot
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I’ll have to remember the Torx bit idea, but I have always used a left-hand drill to extract them.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Using the left-handed drill bit seems to just core out the jet, but it doesn't seem to loosen. Is that supposed to happen? This process seems more destructive.
                1980 GS550E

Comment

Turn the bit SLOWLY. Let it dig in, rather than spin out all the chips.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

The idea here is to hollow out the jet slowly and get the bit to bite into the remnant.
                    i trust that your bit is going counterclockwise??
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

Yes. I got a heat gun. How long should I heat the jet tube?
                      1980 GS550E

Comment

A heat gun isn't enough. You need at least a propane torch, if not oxy-acetylene.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          A heat gun isn't enough. You need at least a propane torch, if not oxy-acetylene.

Don't give him any ideas!
                          hey zombiepotatosalad, are you now working on the jet tube? Or still the stuck pilot jets? If the latter, how about a updated pic so we can view crime scene?
                          1981 gs650L

Comment

Gotta give it to ya ZPS. I like trying to do just about everything myself, too. But I think I'd have given up on these carbs by now and begged Steve to overhaul them for me. I'm sure he'd treat you well. Just my $.02.
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

That's the problem with the internet: so much conflicting advice. A heat gun, a propane torch. A propane torch will ruin it, but a heat gun isn't enough.

Who is Steve? Also, pictures incoming.
                              1980 GS550E

Comment

Working...
                              X