Manual cam chain tensioner thread pitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual cam chain tensioner thread pitch

Looks like another manual cam chain tensioner thread!

I pulled the nut off the manual cam chain adjuster on my GS1150 racebike. The adjuster isn't marked, but I suspect it's APE. Red aluminum plate, adjustment is via flathead screwdriver.

The nut was a #!&!#% to remove from the adjustment screw; it took so much torque to get it off it felt like it was by design (like the valve adjusters on my 1966 Dodge ... no locknuts, just a "semi-interference" fit between the adjustment screw and the rocker arm).

I'm looking to get a replacement nut; anyone know the thread pitch? My gauge says 20 threads per inch, and the nut I took off of it fits fairly well on a 7/16"-20 test bolt. If the threads are metric they don't appear to be either 1.25 or 1.5.

Both the nut and the adjuster are a bit boogered, so before I chase the threads on the adjuster with a die I want to make double-sure I've got the right pitch.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Related, am I right in thinking I can simply remove the adjuster to clean it up? The red aluminum plate holding the adjuster is attached to the cylinder with two socket-head cap screws, it'd be easy to remove. I suspect the "foot" of the adjuster just pushes up against a blade-style tensioner, so there's no harm in removing it. But figured I'd ask before I just start pulling things.

I called APE, they report 16 TPI for their 'standard' series, and 20 TPI for their 'pro' series.

20 TPI squares with my measurements, so I'm going to proceed with a thread chase unless someone convinces me otherwise ...

Comment

Ended up running a 7/16-20 tap through the nut. Threads onto the pusher perfectly now!

Comment

We don't make ant screw driver adjusting tensioners. Ours have APE on them also.
        Speed Merchant
        http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Thanks for the info Big Jay, good to know! APE was just my best guess ...

Comment

Probably a Ward. Think the Top End Oiler is the same maker on that bike.
            The Three Horsemen
            '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
            '83 GS1100ES
            ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
            Porkchop Express

Comment

Working...
            X