Crazy language restrictions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy language restrictions...

I posted in a thread today mentioning someone was pi$$ed off about something (remove $$ and replace with ss) and the forum software edited my comments to be "*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ED"

Wow! Is it necessary to be so draconian? I can respect the desire to restrict the F word but "pi$$ed"? Extreme overreach here.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    I posted in a thread today mentioning someone was pi$$ed off about something (remove $$ and replace with ss) and the forum software edited my comments to be "*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ED"

Wow! Is it necessary to be so draconian? I can respect the desire to restrict the F word but "pi$$ed"? Extreme overreach here.
    Lol...I always found it funny that in a country that values "Free Speech" so much that they sure like to censor "swear words"....seems rather immature imo.
    No signature

Comment

This is not a USA thing trevor, it's a Frank thing.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Trevor takes yet another opportunity to USA bash.

Ed, it is bullsh!t that swearing is so locked down. Half the words that get censored here are just spice and not harmful at all.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

I just use the exclamation point and dollar signs for alternative i's and s's ....... { Oops I forgot . And the letter p for an alternative f } . Mind you we have an alternative cuss word up here " fuddle duddle " which I use on occasion in honour of one of the funniest press conferences in our history .....
          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
          1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
            Trevor takes yet another opportunity to USA bash.

Ed, it is bullsh!t that swearing is so locked down. Half the words that get censored here are just spice and not harmful at all.
            Yeah, that's it Mason....and it is a usa thing. The us tv channels I get always censor swear words...the Canadian don't do it nearly as much...rarely actually. And that's a fact. Don't be so sensitive...lol
            No signature

Comment

Bruce Cockburn is a washed up entertainer.
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Hey cock can be used. George Carlin "its in the bible! Cock is in the bible!
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Only broadcasts that are under FCC rules.
                  Add another layer omg.
                  Youtube censors a satirical song about censorship that successfully skirted FCC rules.

And yet
                  1983 GS 550 LD
                  2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                    Yeah, that's it Mason....and it is a usa thing. The us tv channels I get always censor swear words...the Canadian don't do it nearly as much...rarely actually. And that's a fact. Don't be so sensitive...lol
                    Trevor, you gotta get over yourself here. Ed posted a very specific thread and you took the first opportunity to turn it into something political. That is not cool, and I wish you would get past this unpleasant habit of yours.

As a side note, I'm guessing that profanity and its censorship on television may not have much to do with Frank's decision to censor it on a web forum. Is Canada like the UK, with profanity mostly okay only after 9 PM? Websites don't have such opportunities, though I still think a number of the words prohibited here are incorrectly censored.
                    Last edited by GS1150Pilot; 03-11-2021, 10:05 AM.
                    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Just use some creativity in your wording.

And no, substituting visually similar characters to circumvent the filters is NOT creative.

The naughty filter is and was a choice made by Frank, the person who owns and runs this forum, and I think we need to respect it. It's now an important component of the GSR forum's uniquely civil, robust, and welcoming culture. There aren't any US laws governing forum language as in broadcast language.

Sure, I and most of us (but not all) pepper our real-life conversations freely with spicy language. But only when appropriate; I have enough respect and control to avoid swearing in front of clients and elderly aunts, for example, and I'm sure most of you do too.

No one is being censored or restricted in the slightest because they can't use a few naughty words, and as a benefit, a significant portion of folks feel a lot more comfortable and welcome. No downside, and there's a good upside.

Crikey, use some flippin' brain cells to come up with more interesting ways to flavor your furshlugginer sentences.

Personally, I'm not the least bit offended by curse words, but I am often bored by them; they're one sign of a brain that can't think of anything better.

I'm just glad we can freely discuss petcocks now. That particular filter was kind of annoying.
                      Last edited by bwringer; 03-11-2021, 10:52 AM.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        And no, substituting visually similar characters to circumvent the filters is NOT creative.
                        Yeah but it can be funny ......

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                        1983 GS 750

Comment

The naughty filter is and was a choice made by Frank, the person who owns and runs this forum, and I think we need to respect it. It's now an important component of the GSR forum's uniquely civil, robust, and welcoming culture. There aren't any US laws governing forum language as in broadcast language.

Sure, I and most of us (but not all) pepper our real-life conversations freely with spicy language. But only when appropriate; I have enough respect and control to avoid swearing in front of clients and elderly aunts, for example, and I'm sure most of you do too.

No one is being censored or restricted in the slightest because they can't use a few naughty words, and as a benefit, a significant portion of folks feel a lot more comfortable and welcome. No downside, and there's a good upside.

Crikey, use some flippin' brain cells to come up with more interesting ways to flavor your furshlugginer sentences.

Personally, I'm not the least bit offended by curse words, but I am often bored by them; they're one sign of a brain that can't think of anything better.

I'm just glad we can freely discuss petcocks now. That particular filter was kind of annoying.

Well said, all of it.

I might change only one thing: they're one sign of a brain that WON'T think of anything better.

Everything said on this forum is in print, so, without exception, there is unlimited opportunity before every post to make better choices.
                          "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                          Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            This is not a USA thing trevor, it's a Frank thing.
                            I was gonna say.

I've also noticed that after I've repeatedly substituted some characters, all of a sudden the substituted word got replaced as well.

But yea, as bwringer said, free service, house rules, etc. etc.
                            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Well said, especially this:

'82 GS650G 27k
                              '00 GZ250 5k "Pocket Hawg"
                              ('98 GS500E 18k, new project - moved on to new home)
                              '98 GSF1200 39k, new project, fixed the blown out spark plug, waiting on time
                              '05 Moto Guzzi Nevada 750IE (the Pocket Hawg's days are numbered)

Comment

Working...
                              X