A word of Warning regarding Chains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A word of Warning regarding Chains

I recently freshened up my 1980 1100E and bought new a new DID 630 Roller Chain and JT Sprockets. I simply picked the DID because it was on the shelf at the local shop, about 70 bucks and you can always trust a DID.
    I put about 200 miles on it and noticed the chain would be pretty warm after running, about 140F, the lube dried up quickly and I had to adjust it twice in the first few hundred miles.

So I ordered a new sealed RK630GSV sealed chain as I didn't like how the DID roller was wearing in. The chain came in, and it was a nice day so I took the GS out to go pick it up, figuring, you cant break a brand new DID 630, ignoring the signs it was giving me.

I lubed the chain before I left and a few miles into my ride to pick up the new chain, it spit the DID out while shifting from 4th to 5th, only going about 45. Luckily the chain guard took most of the impact. I broke a cover mounting hole on the cases, absolutely destroyed the chain guard, cut into my new tires, gouged the rim, and bent the chain guard mounting brackets.

Luckily, I was going slow at the time as I have been hot rodding a bit since I freshened it up.

So, this is just a warning to other GSers to Stay away from the DID 630 "K" Roller chain. It is absolute garbage! The GS ate it up in 300 miles and made a mess on the way out.

I am fortunate to be ok and luckily no major holes in the cases.

On a side note, I am now on the hunt for a new chain guard, so please let me know if you have one!

Thanks, Clayton
    Attached Files

Did your front sprocket have the proper spacer? I mean this is just too weird. Are you sure everything was lined up right?
    2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
    82 gs1100L probably the next project
    1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
    1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Yeah, if that chain wasn't majorly defective, something else was the cause there. Chains don't just explode.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Your reported heating makes me think your alignment was off. Though honestly I’ve never measured the temp of my chain ,ever. Anyone else? Do they get that hot if running smooth?
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I did install the spacer recommended by JT to take up extra width from the OE Cushioned sprocket.

As far as alignment, The tire was strait in the swing arm and the sprocket to sprocket appears to be visually strait, but no other checks.

I was also curious about the temperature.. Can anyone who knows chime in on typical running temps of a chain?

After looking into a bit more I found the Master Link, it was bent outwards, meaning the clip popped off and the link worked its way out, so to clarify, It didn't snap the chain, however the locking clip failed.

I too am wondering about the alignment, if the JT spacer is correct or not, other than looking strait, maybe someone has a suggestion to check it out.

Either way, the chain is junk and I can see how someone would be tempted to get one as it's name brand and relatively cheap

Comment

Originally posted by cl4yd0h View Post
            After looking into a bit more I found the Master Link, it was bent outwards, meaning the clip popped off and the link worked its way out, so to clarify, It didn't snap the chain, however the locking clip failed.
            Could be the clip was on backwards. I've had master links break but never have had a clip come off. If the master link is on the top side of the chain run when you put it on the fat (closed) side of the clip goes forward, if it's on the bottom side of the chain run it goes toward the rear.
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

YIKES. That could have been a COMPLETE disaster. It makes me glad that my GS550 uses an endless, no-master-link/clip, hermetically-sealed chain. While it might be more difficult to install (getting around the swing arm, removing the chain guard) it sure seems safer. Is that an option on yours? I assumed that these were common on the GS machines.
              sigpic
              '77 GS550B
              '78 GS550C

Comment

The master link was definitely installed in the right direction.

Aside from the clip failure, in the few hundred miles I had it, it was a very, very bad chain. Loud, stretchy and hot.

I can verify it's the chain quality itself as I have the same new DID "K" Roller chain on my GT750 in a 530 version and it is doing the same exact thing. I didn't go with a sealed chain originally as the GT barely has any space for a wider chain.

Switching that out now to the slimmest 530 I could find, a DID 530VX3 with a rivet link before the GT spits it out. I just completed a full restore on the GT750, so luckily the GS spit the chain, because if the GT did it it would devastate the cases.
                Last edited by cl4yd0h; 06-26-2021, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cl4yd0h View Post
                  I did install the spacer recommended by JT to take up extra width from the OE Cushioned sprocket.

As far as alignment, The tire was strait in the swing arm and the sprocket to sprocket appears to be visually strait, but no other checks.

I was also curious about the temperature.. Can anyone who knows chime in on typical running temps of a chain?

I too am wondering about the alignment, if the JT spacer is correct or not, other than looking strait, maybe someone has a suggestion to check it out.

Either way, the chain is junk and I can see how someone would be tempted to get one as it's name brand and relatively cheap
                  There's got to be side load on the clip link for it to bend and release the clip.
                  I'd take the time to check sprocket alignment with a good straightedge.

Comment

Some interesting reading here...
                    241052 Vis_016-048 (daidocorp.com)

They mention chain temperature here:
                    DID Chain Questions and Answers - YouTube

30*/40* above ambient..

I know that DID do differing qualities of chain. I could only get one kind I forget which but the link plates were significantly thinner than the chain I took off my old YDS7. I will replace it when I remember to think about it one day.
                    Wrecking a chain over that sort of distance is shocking something else is affecting it to have done that.
                    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Is China Inc. Counterfeiting 630 drive chains? Ship a million bucks of knockoff to hell with the danger?
                      Is the chain you bought the bottom of the line offering? There's has always been a marked increase in service life with price in my experience.

My friend who swears by his trusty scot oiler broke a chain and case last fall. Almost got killed.
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Roller chain? Why on earth would you put a plain ole regular roller chain on? They don't last for crap even lubed.
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Years ago 37 I was perusing my roommates Engineering Material text a resource for mech. Engineers.
                          Among the vast and varied charts specs of real world off the shelf components was a section on roller chain.

I looked up the power rating of standard 530 chain and was amazed that my bikes bhp was far in excess of what standard chain could adequately service.

This 630 you bought is the lowest offering daido makes.
                          1983 GS 550 LD
                          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I had a master link fail on me once. That was the last time I used a master link chain.

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                            Roller chain? Why on earth would you put a plain ole regular roller chain on? They don't last for crap even lubed.
                            And they are loud!! I made that mistake once, bought it because it was cheap. False economy since it lasted less than the rear tire did.
                            Currently bikeless
                            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                              This right here. Roller chain is NOT appropriate for motorcycles in any way, shape, or form. It's an industrial product intended only for use in constantly lubricated low-speed applications.

OP got very lucky that the aftermath wasn't worse.

This pops up on ADVrider fairly often; someone thinks they've found a cheat code for saving money, and reasoning that if roller chain works on my bicycle, why not my motorcycle...? I don't need no fancy-schmancy o-rings... it never works out; even if the chain doesn't fail, it rarely lasts more than a few hundred miles.

FWIW, the cheap Chinese o-ring chains and sprockets infesting fleaBay and scAmazon are also a very dangerous false economy. Over on the V-Strom and other forums, for example, there are reports of outright failures.

Buy ONLY name brand o-ring or x-ring chains and sprockets manufactured in a first world country from trustworthy suppliers. For example, JT sprockets are made in Taiwan and are very high quality. Sunstar are also excellent and I think made in Japan. (However, JT and Sunstar branded chain isn't great.) Most of the best chains are made in Japan; I'm partial to EK, but there are several other good brands like DID, RK, and Regina.

"House brand" chains from some retailers can be a mixed bag; proceed with extreme caution. Primary Drive chains and sprockets from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC are excellent quality and a screaming bargain for KLR owners, but the cheap stuff peddled at Cycle Gear under the Orbis name is mostly pretty bad.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                              X