BRP from Roanoke, VA to the Southern end at Cherokee, NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BRP from Roanoke, VA to the Southern end at Cherokee, NC

Has anyone ridden this entire stretch of the Blue Ridge Parkway? I am wondering on the realistic number of hours that would take? Thinking of riding down, spend the night in Roanoke, then hit the BRP the next morning. Maybe stop for a night in Asheville, then complete the ride the next day on my way to Robbinsville. Or, I could reverse the trip. Head straight to Robbinsville for a couple days, then hit the BRP at Cherokee and ride north. Very flexible with that.
    Any thoughts are appreciated.
    1983 GS750 E - gone forever
    Yamaha FJ-09 - My retirement Bike (For when I retire)
    1996 Honda XR-600R - a Man's bike
    2007 Suzuki DR 200SE - Oh Yeah
    2005 Yamaha TR125 - Little Man's bike

I rode it last summer from Skyline Drive all the way south and it is a slow ride both for speed limit and traffic reasons in some areas. Depending on what your intent is, expect a couple of days especially if you are going to stop and take a lot of pictures. Check out my Blue Ridge thread - https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...kway-Ride-2016

I started that ride in 2016 but wrecked then redid it this last year
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks, I actually did read your thread earlier. Great trip you had and the write up/pics!! I have a few places I want to stop along the way, but I mainly just enjoy the riding. Do you you think I can make it in 1 day to Asheville? There are 3 stops I am planning before Asheville. Thinking maybe 1/2 hr each stop. Then of course Lunch and a gas stop in there. Already changed my plans and looks like I'll be riding it on a Sunday. Not ideal, from the traffic issue. Thinking it may not be too bad until around Boone.

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      I rode it last summer from Skyline Drive all the way south and it is a slow ride both for speed limit and traffic reasons in some areas. Depending on what your intent is, expect a couple of days especially if you are going to stop and take a lot of pictures. Check out my Blue Ridge thread - https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...kway-Ride-2016

I started that ride in 2016 but wrecked then redid it this last year

Comment

It really depends on how you ride so I cannot say for sure but it would be a very long day. Virginia's speed limit is 35 and it won't turn to 45 until NC but then turns back to 35 for awhile. I highly suggest you don't try to speed. Of course, I also dealt with heavy fog the first day so YMMV. Also, the parkway is closed between mile markers 121 and 135 near Roanoke from the road damage that still isn't fixed. They detour you through Roanoke and you'll come out the south side of town. Great hill to climb (loved it) and it's fast but pay attention as the curves are VERY TIGHT in that area.

I will add, please treat the road as it's meant to be - a touristy look see; treating it like a race track will only get you into trouble between the traffic, cops, weather, and the road itself
        Last edited by cowboyup3371; 04-16-2021, 04:46 PM.
        sigpic
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Man, that is great info on the road closure. I was planning on staring around Mile Marker 120 from Roanoke, or the nearest entrance to MM 120. ha ha. Thank you! Nah, I'm not a racer. I do like to ride fast in the twisties, but I've slowed down in my old age. lol Getting a ticket on the BRP, I imagine, isn't fun at all. Being Federal land. edit: I have ridden on the BRP many times down near Asheville. Just never this far. So I do know how it is. Especially on weekends. Just wasn't sure on that many miles in a day. :-)

After looking into it more, and your advice, I think I'll ride from Roanoke (South of MM 135 ;-)) to Boone for the night. Finish it up the next day. Going to spend 3 or 4 nights in Cherokee. So no rush. Thanks for the info man.

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          It really depends on how you ride so I cannot say for sure but it would be a very long day. Virginia's speed limit is 35 and it won't turn to 45 until NC but then turns back to 35 for awhile. I highly suggest you don't try to speed. Of course, I also dealt with heavy fog the first day so YMMV. Also, the parkway is closed between mile markers 121 and 135 near Roanoke from the road damage that still isn't fixed. They detour you through Roanoke and you'll come out the south side of town. Great hill to climb (loved it) and it's fast but pay attention as the curves are VERY TIGHT in that area.

I will add, please treat the road as it's meant to be - a touristy look see; treating it like a race track will only get you into trouble between the traffic, cops, weather, and the road itself
          Last edited by ratatouille; 04-16-2021, 05:21 PM.

Comment

It's on my bucket list to ride the whole thing, but I'd want to spend 3-4 days doing it.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

The views from the BRP within an hour or so either side of Asheville are some of the best in the Eastern US without a doubt... Really starting just south of the Linville Gorge area if I recall?

I don't quite have the patience for the low speed limits and occasional tourist/pirate party caravans though, so I don't foresee myself anytime in the near future trying to ride the entire duration... But I most certainly do enjoy jumping on it for 45 minutes or 90 minutes when I'm down in the mountains near Asheville NC. There are so many amazing roads that come up and over the parkway and nearby mountains... All of my favorite routes end up being extremely convoluted zigzagging between the best of all the twistiest paved roads I can find...

Rt 80 a ways North of the BRP/Little Switzerland (north of a big four lane super slab) was one of my favorites in recent years. It is labeled as a scenic byway. Rural residential, not so much National Forest, but absolutely amazing graceful curves that I was scraping my boots on considerably around every other corner. The portion of 80 (Buck Creek Road?) that goes over the BRP was not nearly as exciting and had some deteriorating pavement the past two visits.
              The Little Switzerland 226/226a loops got repaved last year however, and wow that was amazing... I've blown it off in previous years as being perhaps overrated, until the new pavement...
              '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
              '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
              '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
              '79 GS425stock
              PROJECTS:
              '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
              '77 GS550 740cc major mods
              '77 GS400 489cc racer build
              '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Interesting, I was reading earlier about Little Switzerland. Thought about checking that out. Amish country in Ohio, out past Berlin, Sugarcreek, Oh has a little Switzerland. And unless I missed the correct spot, it was sort of a joke. I thought about checking this one out. Thanks for the tip. And as you mentioned, the BRP, that is all we did in the past, a 20-60 min jaunt and off again around Asheville. That was many years ago. My current plan, I'll stop in Boone for the night and ride the rest of the way south on a Monday. I'm hoping that keeps traffic light on the Southern section.

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
                The views from the BRP within an hour or so either side of Asheville are some of the best in the Eastern US without a doubt... Really starting just south of the Linville Gorge area if I recall?

I don't quite have the patience for the low speed limits and occasional tourist/pirate party caravans though, so I don't foresee myself anytime in the near future trying to ride the entire duration... But I most certainly do enjoy jumping on it for 45 minutes or 90 minutes when I'm down in the mountains near Asheville NC. There are so many amazing roads that come up and over the parkway and nearby mountains... All of my favorite routes end up being extremely convoluted zigzagging between the best of all the twistiest paved roads I can find...

Rt 80 a ways North of the BRP/Little Switzerland (north of a big four lane super slab) was one of my favorites in recent years. It is labeled as a scenic byway. Rural residential, not so much National Forest, but absolutely amazing graceful curves that I was scraping my boots on considerably around every other corner. The portion of 80 (Buck Creek Road?) that goes over the BRP was not nearly as exciting and had some deteriorating pavement the past two visits.
                The Little Switzerland 226/226a loops got repaved last year however, and wow that was amazing... I've blown it off in previous years as being perhaps overrated, until the new pavement...

Comment

This is near Little Switzerland. Sounds must do.

"He's old enough to know what's right
                  And young enough not to choose it"
                  Rush.
                  Last edited by ratatouille; 04-17-2021, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Yes that is the route that I was talking about with 226 and 226a...
                    Rt 80 north of Rt 19E was also a top pick as of my past few trips down that way. 80 from 19E north to 226A near Bakersville. North a ways from Little Switzerland but not too far. If you have a reason to stray a little further away, I recommend that, but I understand if you are on a time constraint. So many great roads, never enough time!
                    '79 GS425stock
                    PROJECTS:
                    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Thanks for the tips and the closure around Roanoke. As of now, my rough itinerary is:
                      Day 1: Ride down to Roanoke, spend the night. Day 2: Head south and hit the BRP around MP 136 (Thanks Cowboy). Got a few stops planned, but nothing to time consuming. Mabry Mill, a few over looks. I'll stop in Boone, which looks to be about MP 290 ish. Spend the night there, check out Blowing Rock, etc. Should be an easy day. Day 3: Hit the BRP south, stop off around Little Switzerland. Ride the Diamond Back loop (Thanks Chuck). May check out the town also, we'll see. Get back on the BRP south. Maybe a few more stops, but I've ridden that area before several times, around Asheville. Will see how time goes. I will be spending 3 to 4 nights in Cherokee, so if I need to hop off the BRP and bee line to Cherokee if it starts getting dark, that's fine. I can ride the rest of the BRP the next day.
                      As for my time in Cherokee, lol. Yeah, got lots of plans. Figure Foothills Pkwy. May make a loop of that , the Dragon and the Cherohala Skwy. Want to make sure I get my time on 28. LOVE that road. Another day, I'll ride thru the park, maybe over to Townsend. Got no real plans for those 3 days, just riding and enjoying life.
                      If anyone has other suggestions, please share. Thanks all!!

Comment

Sounds like a fantastic plan! I'm envious!
                        If you have time towards the leisurely end of your trip, North Carolina 215 and US 276 criss crossing over the Blue Ridge Parkway like a really nice figure 8 loop.

Also, if it is open when you are passing through, the cafe in Little Switzerland makes a real nice stop. There's a bookstore / coffee shop next door. It's at the top of 226a right where it nears the Parkway and runs parallel to it over to 226. Directly across from the post office.
                        I just checked and they do appear to be open for the season, but closed on Tuesdays. Hours are 11-4 pm.
                        The Switzerland Cafe & General Store, Little Switzerland, NC, Blue Ridge Parkway Restaurant Western North Carolina. Sandwiches and Barbecue.
                        '79 GS425stock
                        PROJECTS:
                        '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

The poop straight from the NPS on the closures:

Yeah, you could plonk from one end to the other in a couple of days, I guess, but why would anyone want to do that unless you really enjoy minivan spotting and pirate parades?

I will echo the above; the BRP's popularity, ridiculous speed limits, and often zealous Federal enforcement (not to mention the legendary un-friendliness of the Gendarmes in Virginia) do not make a fun combination for longer jaunts. You'll definitely want to avoid all but short stints on the BRP, especially on weekends.

Anyway, if you think of the BRP more as the "spine" connecting "rib" routes to either side, you can use it as the basis for any number of absolutely epic riding days in the mountains. So instead of just plodding from one end to the other in a couple of days breathing Hawg fumes, I'd take five days or a week or more.

There's also lots of hiking at various points if all the Federale radar guns are starting to make your brain warm and mushy.

Much the same goes for the Cherohala; the really fun parts are all the unpaved roads off to the sides.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I have hardly been on the BRP in Virginia, but I'm very familiar with how strict their traffic enforcement regulations are especially regarding offenses that motorcyclists can commit (SPEEDING!). I believe anything over 5 mph above the limit is considered Reckless Operation in Virginia. In Ohio, 20 mph over the limit constitutes a Reckless Operation charge, which is a hefty 4 points against your license, of a maximum allowable 12 points. Or maybe you lose your license at 12 points accrued within 2 years?

Honestly I think I've only seen police with radar guns out one time in my many visits to the Blue Ridge Parkway in the North Carolina area which have all been primarily during prime riding season.
                            Have others experienced a heavy frequency of speed traps on the BRP in this vicinity?
                            '79 GS425stock
                            PROJECTS:
                            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

One funny story about my bike tuning experiences at 5,000+ feet on the BRP... I changed engine configurations but did not spend much time rejetting my mains at home, 900 ft above sea level, before departing on my road trip... I noticed I was lacking in passing power on the BRP. I stepped down 2 sizes on main jets. Yet still, this was not enough, as my friend was no longer following 100-150 ft behind me after many long hours riding per day. Eventually at our next stop, he said the reason he was niw consistently 500 ft back was because of the fumes of my bike running too rich, particularly on the high altitude sections! Oops...
                              Last edited by Chuck78; 04-19-2021, 05:41 PM.
                              '79 GS425stock
                              PROJECTS:
                              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
                              X