This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The GS Resources GS

This website has long needed a motorcycle of its own. In a few weeks it should have one.

I have for some time now been looking for a new home for my trusted and beloved Mr Ratley, an '82 1100GK Yellow Frank model (more on that later) who has reliably and selflessly served me in spite of the negligence and abuse I have shown it over the years. Then it came to me that the website that has served me so well and the motorcycle that has served me so well were a perfect match for each other. So I contacted Frank and after persuading him of my plan got him to sign off.

Mr Ratley is currently running well and I will soon be having him painted a beautiful yellow. Once that is done I will be hauling him up to Frank's in North Georgia where I will pass it to him. At that point he becomes responsible for overseeing the project.

That project will be to transform Mr Ratley into a one of a kind, stunning looking, sweet running, smooth handling sport touring motorcycle worthy to represent the excellence of the GSR. We would like many members to be involved by contributing suggestions, parts, expertise and/or funds toward that goal. There will be a separate thread or forum for the work.

Frank has agreed to four things that I requested of him.
    1. that he keep the bike for at least three years.
    2. after that should he want to sell or pass it on it would be to another GSR member
    3. that he attend at least 1 GSR ride each season on the motorcycle
    4. that he keep a log of what all is done to the bike for permanent reference

In addition it would be nice if he would a) ride the the hell out of it, and b) post up lots of pictures.

Stay tuned. More to follow over the next month.

Mr Ratley 'before' picture.

Attached Files
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Interesting idea but why are you painting it yellow?
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Sounds like a great idea to me. I'll figure out how I can add my two cents to the project one way or the other... Good ol' Mr. Ratley
      My Motorcycles:
      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)
      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

The Yellow would refer to a long running insider knowledge of the existence of the ever elusive motorcycle known as the "Yellow Frank".
        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I didn't realize that Frank lived in North Georgia. I may be able to contribute labor to the project if he's that close.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

You're not quite "neighbors", but it's only about 65 miles (straight line).

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Marvelous idea, should be fun.
              -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Count me in!

No idea what will be needed, but I've probably got a couple of old spark plugs around here somewhere I could send in...

Then again, I've seen Mr. Ratley. You may not want to disturb those plugs.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Let me know if it needs a stator.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Very cool idea. I hope it comes to fruition. Stator (the mascot) and the bike together would be icing on the cake.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I'll send a set of brackets / spacers should he decide to go that route with brakes...
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                        I didn't realize that Frank lived in North Georgia. I may be able to contribute labor to the project if he's that close.
                        I used to live in Loganville but I now live in Blairsville. That's about a 2 hour ride.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          Count me in!

No idea what will be needed, but I've probably got a couple of old spark plugs around here somewhere I could send in...

Then again, I've seen Mr. Ratley. You may not want to disturb those plugs.
                          Wow Brian, should I be scared?

Frank

Comment

I would like to thank Don for bringing this idea up, as well as supplying the motorcycle for this project. I'm honored that you would even consider doing something like this. Thanks so much!

As Don mentioned, this will be a project bike of sorts. The intention is to get it running reliably (if there are any issues there) and make it pretty as well as get it to be a mean touring bike. I plan on documenting the whole process via the main website. That way anyone passing by can see what's going on with it. It's been a while since a touched a GS so I may be askng a few questions your way. I look forward to working with you all on this.

Frank and soon, Yellow Frank
                            Last edited by administrator; 04-15-2015, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                              Interesting idea but why are you painting it yellow?
                              And what's wrong with yellow?

-Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Working...
                              X