Heatwrapping headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heatwrapping headers

I know it's not purely an aesthetic, but would it help with anything performance wise? I know that it holds the heat better making things around it cooler, but is it just good for cars?

Just curious, yeah my headers look pretty crappy already but I was told that mac doesnt have a good finish, it doesn't bother me as the rest of the bike is pretty scuffed up, if anything it fits the bike.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Even if the wrap is expertly installed, it rarely ages well. And as bad as the exhaust looked before it was wrapped...well, you know. I would prefer to just spray (or even brush) on flat black.

And performance wise, maybe on an Indy car. But on our bikes, nada.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Not picking on you Ian, but have you gotten this bike to run and braking properly and consistently since you’ve started working on it? Honest question. Seems like you’ve been at it for quite a while. Recent carb issues sorted?

Anyway. Everything I’ve read on wrapping bike exhausts ends pretty much with “don’t do it”.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
        Not picking on you Ian, but have you gotten this bike to run and braking properly and consistently since you’ve started working on it? Honest question. Seems like you’ve been at it for quite a while. Recent carb issues sorted?

Anyway. Everything I’ve read on wrapping bike exhausts ends pretty much with “don’t do it”.
        I've put over 250 miles, I have to get my choke plungers worked on before I do anything else, hoping that is the issue. It seems likely with the symptoms of my bike and other people who have had them replaced aswell. If not I'd kinda be stumped but I'd keep going at it, I've never synced the carbs but I really really think it wouldn't set my bike off that bad. They were fairly even with each other

Just curious if they help, I'm probably never gonna wrap the bikes exhaust lol it looks ugly, I didnt know if it would do anything for the bike.
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
          I know it's not purely an aesthetic, but would it help with anything performance wise?
          As noted, it is pretty pointless on our bikes and will greatly accelerate the corrosion on your headers if you ever get it wet.

Since no one has talked about the performance benefits, I will. It will cause gains, but not large ones. What it does is keep the pipes hotter and the exhaust gases at a higher average temperature over the length of the primary pipe. This increases the speed of sound in the pipes, raising the RPM that resonance occurs at. The effect of this is that it moves the torque peak up the RPM range which should give a higher peak power at a high RPM than without. On a very highly tuned race motor this effect can be used to a measurable advantage, but on a stock GS (ie - mildly tuned, air cooled, 1980's technology) ridden on the street you will never notice the difference.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
            As noted, it is pretty pointless on our bikes and will greatly accelerate the corrosion on your headers if you ever get it wet.

Since no one has talked about the performance benefits, I will. It will cause gains, but not large ones. What it does is keep the pipes hotter and the exhaust gases at a higher average temperature over the length of the primary pipe. This increases the speed of sound in the pipes, raising the RPM that resonance occurs at. The effect of this is that it moves the torque peak up the RPM range which should give a higher peak power at a high RPM than without. On a very highly tuned race motor this effect can be used to a measurable advantage, but on a stock GS (ie - mildly tuned, air cooled, 1980's technology) ridden on the street you will never notice the difference.

Mark

Note taken, so if I build a turbo 1100 power plant maybe itll be worth it. So its probably not gonna happen lol.
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

As mentioned. Exhaust wrapping is intended to insulate the exhaust to prevent heat dissipation which in turn maintains exhaust gas temperature and increases gas flow and improves scavenging.
              Ok for racing but not that great on a road bike with a mild steel exhaust as the wrap will hold in moisture and cause accelerated corrosion on the headers, especially if the bike is used in all weathers.
              A stainless exhaust actually runs hotter then mild steel so has a similar effect and would be the better option.
              Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
              VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                Note taken, so if I build a turbo 1100 power plant maybe itll be worth it. So its probably not gonna happen lol.
                You would be far ahead if you just had such an exhaust Jet-Hotted.
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                  Yup....I am a big fan of ceramic coating....

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                  '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Same, Bob. Most every bike on which I've installed an aftermarket exhaust has seen it ceramicoated.
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Ouch! My brain hurts. You guys are forcing me to learn new facts. I always thought of ceramic coating as a kind of super strong black paint that was baked onto your frame. Like the reason why my SuperLow's frame was still black in the places where it bottomed out and dented on speed bumps.

Trevor ceramic coating his "entire" bike. Metal, plastic, where will it all end? The entire house, the dog, pop tarts, in-laws? I'm going to need a larger oven.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                        Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                        Yup....I am a big fan of ceramic coating....

Great thread, I'm learning lots.
                        GS1150Pilot, Baatfam, is the ceramic coating primarily done for protecting the exhaust from corrosion over time? Additionally, is ceramic coating something one can do one their own or must one take it to a shop?
                        Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
                        1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

For a high-heat application like a motorcycle exhaust, it is best to have it done professionally. I have friends who ceramic coat firearm components to good effect, but the process probably isn't as durable as an exhaust system warrants. Ceramic coating an exhaust has several benefits:

~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
                            Great thread, I'm learning lots.
                            GS1150Pilot, Baatfam, is the ceramic coating primarily done for protecting the exhaust from corrosion over time? Additionally, is ceramic coating something one can do one their own or must one take it to a shop?
                            My drag bike already had it, for the heat efficiency outlined above. But it was getting shabby, so I had it redone.
                            Definitely a professional job. I used the same place the others racers did. It wasn't cheap, but far less costly than new headers.

On my street GS1100E, I went with a black ceramic coat. For the street, it was strictly a cosmetic decision.
                            Unfortunately, I used a local, less costly guy who did "some" car/bike stuff.
                            I don't know if it was poor prep, or just too thin in spots, but after 3 years or so, it developed surface rust in a couple of places.

But several years later, it still looks pretty good.

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Working...
                            X