Friday night in New York City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday night in New York City

(Astoria Park - pretty much the view from Sean Penn's apartment in Carlito's Way)

The first group I came upon was weird. Two Honda Groms. Small next to my 11, but one had a guy on it who looked almost 300 lbs and the other had a girl who might have been 350. Here's the weird part: both of their license plates were camouflaged. One had the bottom 3/4 completely covered with tape, and the girl used a marker and tape to disguise hers. They told me it was to avoid being caught by the speeding and red light cameras that are popping up all over. I can picture those Groms in the trunk of a police car and the riders handcuffed in the back seat.

The rider I encountered next had his first bike, a Yamaha 300 that he had picked up the day before. It was the second day he had ever ridden a motorcycle. He didn't even know how many cylinders it had. When he asked me for advice, I was momentarily speechless. I told him to get to know his front brake, that's where most of your stopping power is, and keep your head on a swivel. Know where all the cars around you are. When he showed me the passenger seat, I said "Don't take any passengers yet." I wished him luck and moved on.

I finally came upon what I was looking for - a group of sportbikes. A GSXR, a Kaw 10R, a bike with stunt bars. The one next to me was a 2019 Yamaha 600 supersport with an Akrapovic exhaust. "Want to hear it?" he asked. I asked where the redline was and he revved it to 16k.

They liked how my GS looked and sounded, but didn't quite know what to make of it or the old man riding it. "You mean it's not water cooled?" When they started vaping various substances, I figured it was time to leave. Each one came up and shook my hand. It's nice to know that the current generation of hooligans respects their elders.

When I got home, Suzi posed for this pic:

image.jpg
    Last edited by Rob S.; 08-18-2019, 12:48 AM.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

I can picture those Groms in the trunk of a police car and the riders handcuffed in the back seat.
    I've been to New York as a gawker..Tourist Agape at the place. You are definitely a card-carrying Street Fighter riding anywhere there! .. I never got far away from the tourist beats but man there's police everywhere and not many bikes. Sooo many lights. I Don't know how you do it once off the bridges and tunnels.
    Last edited by Gorminrider; 08-18-2019, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
      The first group I came upon was weird. Two Honda Groms. Small next to my 11, but one had a guy on it who looked almost 300 lbs and the other had a girl who might have been 350. Here's the weird part: both of their license plates were camouflaged. One had the bottom 3/4 completely covered with tape, and the girl used a marker and tape to disguise hers. They told me it was to avoid being caught by the speeding and red light cameras that are popping up all over. I can picture those Groms in the trunk of a police car and the riders handcuffed in the back seat.
      my bro-in-law was trying to impress me with his obscured license plate, I informed him that it was illegal but he insisted it wasn't because he bought it in a store, lol.

The rider I encountered next had his first bike, a Yamaha 300 that he had picked up the day before. It was the second day he had ever ridden a motorcycle. He didn't even know how many cylinders it had. When he asked me for advice, I was momentarily speechless.
      I've met a 40-50yr old guy on a group ride and was talking like he was a veteran rider. He had a newish fully faired BMW that I didn't recognize. Not being able to see the engine I asked how many CCs and what the cylinder configuration was, the 4 or the 6 cylinder. He had no idea and he had already owned the bike for two years.

I finally came upon what I was looking for - a group of sportbikes. A GSXR, a Kaw 10R, a bike with stunt bars. The one next to me was a 2019 Yamaha 600 supersport with an Akrapovic exhaust. "Want to hear it?" he asked. I asked where the redline was and he revved it to 16k.
      that's what I get when I pull up on my CBX, only it's my bike they want to hear revved.

They liked how my GS looked and sounded, but didn't quite know what to make of it or the old man riding it. "You mean it's not water cooled?"
      yeah not many young guys know what they're seeing when they look at our dinosaurs

When they started vaping various substances, I figured it was time to leave. Each one came up and shook my hand. It's nice to know that the current generation of hooligans respects their elders
      That's what I like about the young hooligans they really are moto brothers, regardless your/my age. Something I can't say that about most HD riders, I've always found them to be aloof and standoffish. Almost as if we're not of their quality, not surprising as that's what HD marketing has been telling them for decades.
      1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Groms are cool-I don't care who you are. Fat slobs on them are slightly less cool.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
          my bro-in-law was trying to impress me with his obscured license plate, I informed him that it was illegal but he insisted it wasn't because he bought it in a store, lol.

Yes, and does he know how many stores sell crack in NY City?

I've met a 40-50yr old guy on a group ride and was talking like he was a veteran rider. He had a newish fully faired BMW that I didn't recognize. Not being able to see the engine I asked how many CCs and what the cylinder configuration was, the 4 or the 6 cylinder. He had no idea and he had already owned the bike for two years.

Sounds like my little brother, who started riding at 54 years old. His very first, still his only bike? The 2015 HD "Dyna Low Rider," 103 cubic inch twin cam. The "sportiest" , most powerful HD then available (I don't count the "V-Rods.) Very nearly twice the displacement of my 883 Sporty, and I know he's never had it near 70. Does 50, 55 mph at the most while cars in all lanes are zooming around us. Not safe. Always felt that intuitively, have to show him where Cycle World confirmed it a few years ago in print, that going the same speed or a little faster than traffic is safer than going slower. Something about picking your spots, safer to pass people than have them pass (and frequently surprise) you. When I say, "Cycle World," genuflecting is optional but appreciated.

that's what I get when I pull up on my CBX, only it's my bike they want to hear revved.

What do you expect? I'll never forget the day I heard and saw a CBX with 6-into-6 exhaust. Fairly short pipes, and I can't recall any mufflers. Can you say, "exhilarating"?

yeah not many young guys know what they're seeing when they look at our dinosaurs

That's what I like about the young hooligans they really are moto brothers, regardless your/my age. Something I can't say that about most HD riders, I've always found them to be aloof and standoffish. Almost as if we're not of their quality, not surprising as that's what HD marketing has been telling them for decades.
          I sometimes entertain myself by going through Harley catalogues and seeing how many times on each page I encounter the word, "Attitude". Lots. Lots and lots. When I go to the Carlitos Way Park in my original post (some people calls it Astoria Park, I calls it a sling blade), there will frequently be more than just one or two groups of parked bikes, and the road is curved so you can't see them all. Decision time: do I stop at the first group, do I try to find the Harleys if I'm on my Sporty, the Sport bikes if I'm on my Suzi?

My default is to seek out the Sport bikes or Superbikes no matter what I'm riding. I'm sometimes a little surprised by a slightly cool greeting when I pull up and park my Sportster right in the middle of a dozen modified, full-liter modern Superbikes. Each of the Japanese "big four" has their flagships represented, and as I said, they're rarely stock.

It quickly occurs to me that they're not being as mean to outsiders as the Harley guys, and besides, "Hey! This ain't me. I've got an 1100 Suzuki at home. It's a GS1100E, but everywhere in the world except the U.S. they call it a GSX1100. I'm only missing an R!"

And my habit, whether they seem open to me or not wanting to even glance my way, is to stop and check out each and every bike. Top to bottom, front to back, left side, right side. Sometimes it's an act (how many ten-year-old "Supersport" 600s with their fairings long since broken off can you get excited about?)

But more than once, I have seen and examined the recent Yamaha 1000 Superbike, Cycle World's "Bike Of The Year" several years running now. Ditto the 230 hp, supercharged Kawasaki. I didn't know where to look first. And guys, even strangers appreciate it when you look, look closely at their bikes. (Newbies, non-riders: not too close. Not so close it could be misconstrued that you touched it. Strictly verboten.)

And then, I ask questions. What rider doesn't like to be asked about his bike in an admiring, complementary way by another rider? Especially if that rider rode up on a loud-ish, I would say "impressive" bike, but they're rarely old enough to be immediately impressed by my Suzi. But they can hear it, and if they get close enough or just see her right next to their bikes, they don't have to be geniuses to see that mine is a full sized bike. "Actually, guys (youngsters), I'm ten percent bigger than you are. But who's counting?"

Now of course I don't say that (out loud), but I'll admit I think it, and it makes me feel good. I'm plenty confident, in this anonymous-type world we're inhabiting, to admit that I'm not so confident. I want to ride up on something that's as big, or bigger than the next guy's. Especially at my age (early 60s), I am not confident enough to ride a 2 or 3 hundred cc Honda "Rebel" into a group of Superbikes.

Those "Grom"s? They were for 'local color'. When I saw them both with their license plates disguised, I couldn't resist pulling over and later writing about them. But they're not motorcycles. The good-looking, but too tiny for me Honda Rebel (234cc, produced on and off for many years, cruiser style, according to this other tiny supercomputer next to me), I'm willing to grant that motorcycle status. It's got full size wheels. It's not a 'step-through.' If you've got tiny wheels, and/or the step-through feature, I'm sorry. You're not a motorcycle.

Call it a scooter, call it a moped. I don't care if you call it blue dog shyte, as Denzel said in American Gangster. Just don't let me catch you calling it a motorcycle. Now I did love mini-bikes before I loved motorcycles. And to this day, if I see a Honda Trail 50 or Trail 70 (deluxe mini-bikes from the late '60's and early '70's) I want it. I'd sooner be seen on an old style mini-bike than these scooters, and mopeds, and step-throughs and electrics that are everywhere, sidewalks and expressways included. Briggs & Stratton lawnmower engine, 3.5 hp at the most, tiny wheels, one or two brakes (sometimes), no clutch or (manual) shifter, but it had arguably the first and most important feature that made me fall in love, the twist-grip throttle. You'd start it like you started your lawnmower - by pulling a rope. It warms this old man's heart. Anyone got an old Sears and Roebuck catalogue I can drool over?
          Last edited by Rob S.; 01-02-2020, 09:27 PM.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
            Groms are cool-I don't care who you are.
            Agree to disagree. Cycle World, my love, my authority until they discontinued monthly printing, riled me up somethin' fierce with their rave review of it, on and on, month after month about how fun and great Groms are.

Cool? The bikes I see in your signature, they are cool. Grom? Not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
              Agree to disagree. Cycle World, my love, my authority until they discontinued monthly printing, riled me up somethin' fierce with their rave review of it, on and on, month after month about how fun and great Groms are.

Cool? The bikes I see in your signature, they are cool. Grom? Not so much.
              Ever ridden one? They are a hoot. Perhaps, for those who never had a Z50, there is a displaced sense of what makes a bike cool. Jedz is a great advocate of the small bike, and there is nothing at all uncool about them.
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                Ever ridden one? They are a hoot. Perhaps, for those who never had a Z50, there is a displaced sense of what makes a bike cool. Jedz is a great advocate of the small bike, and there is nothing at all uncool about them.
                Grom's are ok. Basically a moped//bicycle that lost it's pedals. LOL One thing that does bug me though is calling a scooter a moped. It it doesn't have pedals and can not be pedaled, it's a scooter. If it has pedals, it's a moped.
                Last edited by earlfor; 11-26-2019, 08:27 PM.
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

As a former HD goon I can honestly say that an 883 Sportster is a girl's bike. Whenever you see a guy on one it's because he's a wannabe but it's still better than jap crap, ditch the Sporty and get a real mans bike!

You'll find more genuine brotherhood amongst the sport bike crowd these days. Keep the Zook and forget about the HD scene, it's really just a PG-13 version of what it used to be.
                  1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                  1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                  LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                    As a former HD goon I can honestly say that an 883 Sportster is a girl's bike. Whenever you see a guy on one it's because he's a wannabe but it's still better than jap crap, ditch the Sporty and get a real mans bike!

You'll find more genuine brotherhood amongst the sport bike crowd these days. Keep the Zook and forget about the HD scene, it's really just a PG-13 version of what it used to be.
                    Friends with Sonny Barger?

I was planning on having them upsize my engine to 1200, especially since if you do it within a certain period, or before you even pick it up, full warranty is unchanged. What stopped me? The 1200 cylinders are a different color, and I wanted the stock look.

I know the 883/girl association. Heck, it's the only one in the catalogue with a female on it. The print is about the only caption that doesn't mention, "attitude." Neither, "female," or "beginner," for that matter. "Confidence inspiring," "easy," etc. are what they say about it.

For me, a Sportster is the only desirable Harley. I think they were 883cc back when they were called, "900s", pre-1972. And I'll blow the doors off of my brother on his 1660cc "big twin" on my 883 or even the slowest 250 you can find, any time, any place.

And if push were to come to shove, "Wait here 20 minutes. I'll be back on Suzi, and then we'll see who's a poser, then we'll race." So I guess having the 11E always ready to roll gives me the confidence to ride little Sporty.

Happy Thanksgiving, LAB3.

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving to you too. Looks like cold and rainy here for tomorrow but after three days of 70° weather I'm well stocked and don't really need to stray too far.
                      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

The title of this thread makes me think of the old John Denver song: "Saturday Night in Toledo Ohio".
                        Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                        1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                        1981 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                        X