• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
    Worked for me!

Thanks!
    ~Mike
    Im glad you didnt give up mike!Human nature is why we get frustrated with what we dont understand,but overcoming our frustration is when it leads to success!Plus now you know your bike intimately.Happy riding.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
      I need to change the title of this thread,...

...BECAUSE SHE IDLES!!! Every single one of those valves was WAY too tight. Put her all back together and started her up and she idled. She didn't die. She didn't stall.

I'm so mfing happy!

Thank you all. Thank you for your patience. Thank you for walking me through every step.

SHE IDLES! After more than a year, she idles!

(And I'm sorry, Dink, but I was putting the feeler gauge between the lobe and the tappet, although I did check between the valve and the screw as well. And I didn't use the genuine tool either, but it's on order!)

THANK YOU ALL!

=D> \\/ =D> \\/ Nice job Mike.

Comment

Man... I love a happy ending!!

And I can't tell you how much I learned from reading this thread!! You ALL rock!!

Comment

I don't even think she has an intake leak after all. She starts with almost no choke and comes off it very quickly to idle at around 1200. When completely warm she'll idle around 1500. It's not jumping around anymore either.

And re-torquing the head fixed the leak too!

Comment

Rock on dude!

Comment

Well done Mike.
              We've all learned a lot, especially about taking the wrong route through trusting assumptions.
              That ticking sound had me thinking leaking head or exhaust gaskets, but still didn't expain why the engine would stop after a couple of minutes.
              You now know more about your bike than you would have had it run sweetly from the start.
              Ride it and enjoy.
              Cheers
              The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
              GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
              GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
              GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
              http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Mike
                If it starts with almost no choke & idles at 1500 rpm, you need to adjust your idle mixtures, way too rich. Maybe your carbs need a thorough cleaning & set up!!!:-D :-D
                Did you check ignition timing??

Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink View Post
                  Mike
                  If it starts with almost no choke & idles at 1500 rpm, you need to adjust your idle mixtures, way too rich. Maybe your carbs need a thorough cleaning & set up!!!:-D :-D
                  Did you check ignition timing??

Dink
                  The carbs most definitely do not need a thorough cleaning. They had their time in the bath!

I still need to further adjust the mixtures and balance, however.

Timing has not been checked, I don't have a gun.

Comment

You dont have "static" timing marks?? Remeber the "T" and "F" marks from adjusting the valves? you use them, a "flashlight" at dusk works if needed, BTW a timing light is only about $10.

Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink View Post
                      You dont have "static" timing marks?? Remeber the "T" and "F" marks from adjusting the valves? you use them, a "flashlight" at dusk works if needed, BTW a timing light is only about $10.

Dink
                      Oh, then yes, I do have "static" timing marks.

How come the timing guns I see at the store are always $100+

Comment

Geez you guys get ripped off in the US!!
                        BTW use some "liquid paper"or light coloured model paint on the lines; makes them easier to see (gettin a lil blind in Dotage:-D )

Dink

Comment

Guess I'll check the timing!

Comment

Very cool to hear the bikes problems are gone. Just need some fine tuning now.
                            It appears to have been a combo of poor valve clearances and a loose head. That's what makes participation so cool. We all kind of feed off each others thoughts and come up with ideas. Even if someone doesn't actually pick the right cure, they may have said something that led others toward a fix.
                            This thread does point out how important it is to be sure all the basic tuning/maintanance has been checked/done first though. It may seem like a lot of "unnecessary" work to do all the scheduled maintanance first, but it needs to be done more often than not anyway and it can actually save time instead of trying fixes one at a time.
                            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                              Very cool to hear the bikes problems are gone. Just need some fine tuning now.
                              It appears to have been a combo of poor valve clearances and a loose head. That's what makes participation so cool. We all kind of feed off each others thoughts and come up with ideas. Even if someone doesn't actually pick the right cure, they may have said something that led others toward a fix.
                              This thread does point out how important it is to be sure all the basic tuning/maintanance has been checked/done first though. It may seem like a lot of "unnecessary" work to do all the scheduled maintanance first, but it needs to be done more often than not anyway and it can actually save time instead of trying fixes one at a time.
                              You're absolutely right, Keith. I wish I had just gone through and checked the valves/compression as soon as I got her.

Thanks for everything!

Comment

Congrats Mike: \\/ Best of Luck on the rest of the small things...give it another month or two and you won't even remember how much fun you were having working on the thing! YOU OWN IT!!!! :-D

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X