Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Still Won't Idle! I think I'm done.

DanTheMan Guest

Cool

Mike, here's something to look at and try (again, due to a Craftsman lawn tractor). It'd run great, then wouldn't run without choke, and not well. I opened the carb, had to do this twice, I'd installed new fuel lines and everything, turned out both times I had to do this so it would run right, there was a little sliver of fuel line hose in the float valve, wouldn't allow fuel past.
    Now, I wouldn't expect something like that to affect all four carbs, but maybe it could effectively clog the inlet passage to the carbs? Just a thoght, something to look at again.........

UncleMike Guest

Okay,...I'll check the mfing carbs again.

Not what I wanted to hear, I was hoping more for a "snowman with his hat blown off" situation. "There you go little buddy!" And it's all better,...

...alas, it's not to be.

Anyway, thanks for taking yet another look at my hell and giving opinions. I'll keep you all updated.

Thanks,
    ~Mike

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

I agree with the others that it's most likley a carb problem. Not sure what to suggest though other than getting inside and varifying everything is clean and sealed. I've heard the same thing regarding some of those aftermarket carb kits. I ordered carb parts direct from Bike Bandit for mine.

Sorry for all these problems. Don't give up.

DanTheMan Guest

Cool

Hey, Mike, one more idea from another thread, check out your petcock from the tank and make sure it's working properly. It could even be your whole problem......

UncleMike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheMan View Post
    Hey, Mike, one more idea from another thread, check out your petcock from the tank and make sure it's working properly. It could even be your whole problem......
    Yup, it passed the vaccuum test both this spring and about two weeks ago.

I hope you all realize I'm not being short with my answers. I do appreciate anyone who's still willing to contribute to this insanity.

~Mike

t3rmin Guest

Well in the off-chance it is still ignition-related you could get a Dyna S. It's an upgrade you'll be glad you did anyway. At $120 it's not quite cheap (but not really super expensive either), but I still think of it as "cheap insurance" since it's better than getting stuck on the road somewhere and/or wasting hours of time t-shooting and second-guessing the crappy stock ignition. Can you put a price on piece-of-mind? ;-)

One last thing, have you checked the carb balance beyond a bench sync? I did what I *thought* was a pretty good bench sync the other day but when I put it back together I had one completely cold cylinder (flapper wasn't even open at idle in that carb) and a crappy idle and off-idle. Vacuum carb sync cleared that up 100%. If you had a combination of poor sync and maybe rich float and/or mixture screws, I could see that causing crappy idling or dying.

Have you seen this page? I found it on these forums the other day and it's fantastic:
    http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tunin...m_engines.html
    Last edited by t3rmin; 10-19-2006 at 04:43 PM.

bonanzadave is offline Forum Guru Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Ill go along with Dan and say Fuel Supply. Check your main fuel line and your petcock vacuum line. Both ends. If you have not changed those hoses get some new hoses and clamp each end. If your sucking air.........Then your sucking air.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

UncleMike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bonanzadave View Post
    Ill go along with Dan and say Fuel Supply. Check your main fuel line and your petcock vacuum line. Both ends. If you have not changed those hoses get some new hoses and clamp each end. If your sucking air.........Then your sucking air.
    I have new hoses on both, but have not clamped the vaccuum line. It wasn't clamped to begin with. In fact, none of my GS's have had their vaccuum lines clamped.

t3rmin Guest

One more question: when you slowly rev it off-idle is it rough like there isn't fire on one or more cylinders? If so, try yanking the plug wires off the plugs one at a time and see if there's one cyl where, when there's no spark, the idle changes very little or not at all. Then you've identified your problem cylinder(s).

UncleMike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by t3rmin View Post
    One more question: when you slowly rev it off-idle is it rough like there isn't fire on one or more cylinders? If so, try yanking the plug wires off the plugs one at a time and see if there's one cyl where, when there's no spark, the idle changes very little or not at all. Then you've identified your problem cylinder(s).
    I haven't noticed that, no.