No announcement yet.

The Next Nerobro's HowTo: Doing the Stator Dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He did indicate which model it is in. First post.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
      He did indicate which model it is in. First post.
      So you think he put an 550 rotor into that 1150 frame?

Comment

No, I don't. He rides a 550.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          Could you indicate what bike the stator is on and what R/R you have used with how much mileage.
          I would presume if there is any amount of mileage with a Shunt R/R that it has started to at least discolor from heat.
          To determine how much damage has occurred so far, would need have photos of physical inspection.
          Alternatively doing the stator tests at 5K RPM and comparing to previous results when new might provide additional information without pulling the cover.

As I recall, you had repeated stator failures causing you to start doing your own rewinds. I don't know if you have specifically posted this, but are you seeing that your newly wound stator is lasting much longer under the same condition as before when stators were failing?
          1983 GS550ES. That was indicated somewhere along the line. It's got ~3000 miles on it since then. I think. I"d need to go look. I've checked the stator several times, and because I used larger diameter wire, it's always given 80+ volts instead of the 90+ we really want. But that's not changed over the years.... That said I haven't checked it in 3-4 years. It just works....

I've only had two stator failures. One on a 1980 GS550. It came with a burnt out stator, and I replaced that with an OEM stator. I didn't have an OEM stator for my 83, and the cheapest method was rebuilding the one I had.

From what I've experienced over the years, I think most stator failures start at the r/r. I've flipped 10 bikes? something like that. The vast majority have had charging issues. Since I tended to pick up bikes that had been given up on, because they wouldn't keep running, or had "carburetor issues". I didn't run into bikes that had been babied and were put on chargers all the time. If they had a bad r/r I'd replace those. They always seemed to have an ok stator. What this indicates to me, is that a failing R/R can leads to a toasted stator. Depending on the r/r's failure mode. I think "abuse" leads to a burnt stator, if you get the r/r when charging system fails.... well the stator never seems to go.

There's really no way i'm going to be popping the stator cover to inspect the stator. The gasket isn't weeping, and it charges.
          You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
          If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
          1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
          1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
          1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
          1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
          1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro View Post
            1983 GS550ES. That was indicated somewhere along the line. It's got ~3000 miles on it since then. I think. I"d need to go look. I've checked the stator several times, and because I used larger diameter wire, it's always given 80+ volts instead of the 90+ we really want. But that's not changed over the years.... That said I haven't checked it in 3-4 years. It just works....

I've only had two stator failures. One on a 1980 GS550. It came with a burnt out stator, and I replaced that with an OEM stator. I didn't have an OEM stator for my 83, and the cheapest method was rebuilding the one I had.

From what I've experienced over the years, I think most stator failures start at the r/r. I've flipped 10 bikes? something like that. The vast majority have had charging issues. Since I tended to pick up bikes that had been given up on, because they wouldn't keep running, or had "carburetor issues". I didn't run into bikes that had been babied and were put on chargers all the time. If they had a bad r/r I'd replace those. They always seemed to have an ok stator. What this indicates to me, is that a failing R/R can leads to a toasted stator. Depending on the r/r's failure mode. I think "abuse" leads to a burnt stator, if you get the r/r when charging system fails.... well the stator never seems to go.

There's really no way i'm going to be popping the stator cover to inspect the stator. The gasket isn't weeping, and it charges.
            Thanks for the update. You are correct R/R's cause stator failures, but it is not (in general) R/R failures that cause stator Failures. It is SHUNT v.s. SERIES that has been discussed bow at length.

As far as abuse, I'm not sure what you mean unless it is"neglect"of connection maintenance or thrashing of high RPMs in which case I agree.

As far as 80V vs 90V, open loop voltage always goes up with RPM (it is basic physics), but power produced is limited by the magnetic flux paths which is a function of the rotor design no matter the stator.

Comment

Working...
            X