Major differences when syncing carbs at various RPMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Road_Clam View Post
    This thread is just too funny. Don't take my input the wrong way, but this whole "dog and pony show" about the need to synch at different RPM's IMO is a total waste of time on a STREET driven motorcycle. If Suzuki felt it was that critical, they would have outlined a totally different procedure in all their service manuals. You guys can certainly do whatever you feel comfortable with. For me, I synch per the factory manual, then forget about it, and just ride the thing........
    Right on the money Road Clam!!! 1750 rpm's and FORGET ABOUT IT!!!!!!!! No vibration here!!!

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
      Not exactly. LOL You get the synch off on one cylinder by 2cm and you will find both hands will be numb in less than five minutes at highway speed. In fact, your hands will be numb right up to your elbows. :-) :-)

Earl
      LOL heck I dunno I'm a drag racer I never use part throttle anyway LOL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
        I don't know why the middle carbs are different to the outer ones but suspect that the slightly richer fuel mixture would help to keep those cylinders running at similar temperatures as 1 & 4 where more direct airflow is available for cooling.
        The middle ajoining carbs are synch'ed at a different level of signal because of the stock exhaust. The 2 center exhaust pipes are joined by a crossover pipe, therefore they scavenge each other. Once you add an aftermarket 4 into 1 system, then you sync your carbs to pull equal vacuum levels.

Comment

Thanks for the info Road Clam.
          Was the 79 model stock exhaust not fitted with a crossover/balance pipe? If they were, why weren't the VM carbs synced differently on the inboard cylinders? I run a 4-1 system which performs great with the equal sync method.
          The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
            Thanks for the info Road Clam.
            Was the 79 model stock exhaust not fitted with a crossover/balance pipe? If they were, why weren't the VM carbs synced differently on the inboard cylinders? I run a 4-1 system which performs great with the equal sync method.
            Yes it was. '79 1000 factory manual says to synch 2 and 3 just a bit lower than 1 and 4.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Also, you'll get a slightly leaner mixture because of less vacuum, not a richer mixture.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I thought you syncd the cylinders differently was because the outer cylinders run cooler than the inner because of the cooling fins
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Clymer manual for 79 850's details the correct sync for VM carbs when vacuum is equal. They then suggest that CV carbs from 1980 onwards are synced differently on 2&3 carbs.
                  The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold

Comment

Well, if there's a crossover tube involved, any model any year with either carbs is synched with 2/3 a little less vacuum.

Comment

Makes you want to run a tuned 4-1 with stock carbs and airbox, doesn't it?

Comment

Ok, finally got around to doing some more tuning today (weather finally permitting). This time I synced at 4-5k RPM/throttle held. It's definitely smoother through all RPMs than the 750 RPM/idle screw sync. More power, less vibration, and generally a more refined feel. My impression is the bike seems "happier" with this sync. Even idle and off-idle smoothness is improved, which somewhat surprised me, since I figured syncing at 750 rpm with idle screw would give the best idle.

Also, the previous sync was still pretty much spot on, even though I've removed the locknuts and am relying solely on blue loctite to keep the sync screws from vibrating out of adjustment.

Comment

Something that should be realized is that the 4000-5000 rpm buzz is more an engine balance issue than carb. balance. All reciprocating engines have what is known as a vibration period. It is not possible to balance an engine perfectly. Even though the GS uses an efficient gear driven balancer (unlike the near-useless chain-driven efforts used by Hondas for example) there is always remaining an engine speed range where the engine vibrates more. You might think a 4 cylinder engine should be smooth without a balancer with the pistons opposing each other as the engine rotates, but they produce what is called a "Rocking couple" (yes, really!!!) This all starts getting very technical. but the point is that all engines have a rough period, and on the 4 cylinder GS it's 4000-5000 rpm, and you will never get rid of it completely.

Comment

Originally posted by steve-lloyd View Post
                            Something that should be realized is that the 4000-5000 rpm buzz is more an engine balance issue than carb. balance. All reciprocating engines have what is known as a vibration period. It is not possible to balance an engine perfectly. Even though the GS uses an efficient gear driven balancer (unlike the near-useless chain-driven efforts used by Hondas for example) there is always remaining an engine speed range where the engine vibrates more. You might think a 4 cylinder engine should be smooth without a balancer with the pistons opposing each other as the engine rotates, but they produce what is called a "Rocking couple" (yes, really!!!) This all starts getting very technical. but the point is that all engines have a rough period, and on the 4 cylinder GS it's 4000-5000 rpm, and you will never get rid of it completely.

Note, the only GS engine that has a balancer is the 400/425/450/500 twin models.

Some in line fours have balance shafts as well but the GS family are not included.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Isn't that what's termed the "engine harmonics"? Trying to scrape that last bit of high school auto mechanics class from the dark recesses of my brain.....

Comment

Working...
                              X