D 404 tires ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fatkid89704 View Post
    i bought a set from dennis kiek.com in the catalog they were listed as gbc street sharks but when they showed up they were sakura street sharks.they have awesome grip.i am using a set on my fz750 sport bike and they stick very well and i am getting good wear from them.i now have about 2000 miles on them and they look almost new.so you might try going to www.denniskirk.com and see if they have a set that will fit your gs.good luck and have a great day.
    I have this tire on the front of my 650L. After 2000 miles I have complete confidence in it. Not much wear and what is, is even. I think it's a great value but I'm not aggressive enough to tout it to our more spirited riders. I was going to put a d404 on the back but when I went to make sure it was in stock,it wasn't! I'm riding on a slightly squared back tire still. Oh well,I'll get to it eventually.
    Would you like to share the experiences you have had with a new accessory, part or vendor? Post your review here.
    Last edited by omaharj; 11-25-2006, 12:01 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

501's would be awesome, but they don't have a 130 wide rear.

I have the Harley 401's on my bike and they have been great. One of the best compromises between wear and grip I have found. Got almost 4000 miles out of it. The Metzlers definitely are a better performing tire, but I'm lucky to get 2500 miles out of a rear. That's a tire in less than an oil change.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Hi

I got almost 3500 miles on my rear Metzeler Lasertec, and 4500 miles on the front tyre....

Comment

saw a post on KZrider that goodyear is on strike and tires are likely to be scarce. So if you need them, get them while you can.

Comment

Long story short, I ended up with a D404 (100/90-19) on the front of my GK with almost 7K on it. I've got one ordered for the rear and am hoping it sticks like the front does. I am replacing a Cheng Shin Hi-Max with 9k on it that probably should have been replaced about 1K back. I had a heart stopping near-miss deer encounter on the Fall Texas Hill Country ride and the D404 stuck like glue on a drizzle coated asphalt road. Plenty good enough for me.

PS. Front D404 shows very little wear.

Comment

Dunlope website. And GK tires.

Here is a link to Dunlop Motorcycle tire web site. It has a 'fitment' page where you can select make, model of bike, and it comes up with a couple suggested tires. Or can go thru the catalog and select tires by catagory such as Original Equipment, Cruiser, Touring, Sport Touring ectera.

Here is a link to Metezler
              Discover Metzeler's range of motorcycle tires and read our insights to guide your choice. Find out more online!

But thier fitment function doesnt list any of our GSs from the 80s.

A few observations :

- Dunlop has the D402, the D401 and the D591 for Harley (with HarleyDavidson on side wall) for touring, cruiser and sport respectivly. My GK has the D591s and are now worn. SO thats why I am looking. I would say the only thing I didnt like about the 591 on my bike is the lettering on the sidewalls. And I will admitt that about everytime I went into a curve I would think about the letting on the sidewalls, but I was thinking H-D as in big heavy but slow cruiser or tourer. That - and the fact that the bike was new to me, so I really havent pushed it in the curves too much. Now I see that 591 is listed as a sport tire, not cruizer nor tourer.
              Also noticed that the K591 come in only one size for front and 3 sizes for rear (how many HD sport bikes can there be? har har har) but includes just what the GK needs.

- I personally have heard a couple very crediable recomendations for the D404 specifically for my GK. I have seen them listed in catalogs (JP ectera) as 'Original Equipment'. But I see on Dunlope site they are listed as sport/touring, and not listed in the Original Equipment section. Hum....

- The fittment function on the Dunlope webpage does have the GK and then comes up with the GT501. The GT501 are listed as sport/touring sport bias.

- THe 850G that I had for 14 years came with Metzeler ME33 & ME55, and I really liked them, I could push them hard and could feel the limit apporaching (or so I thought anyway, maybe it was more the limit of my scenabilitys, but I thought I could feel just a bit of squirming). Rear seemed to last a good 2 1/2 seasons which would be about 6 - 7K miles (maybe more, I am quessing, dont rteally keep track). Front last quite a bit longer. Very even wear on both, not scalloping, nothing like that. I allways replaced them with the same Metezlers and then Metz Lastertech.

I see in catalogs that the D404s cost about 50-60% of the Metzler Lazertech, dont know if the big difference is between the H and the V rating or what. But anyway the big cost difference is what has me looking into this some more, rather than just getting the Lasertechs again.
              I need to look into this further, will reread people comments in this posting. ANy fiurther comments/recomendations welcomed.
              Last edited by Redman; 03-03-2007, 01:11 PM. Reason: spulling

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Check out Dunlop 491s Also called Elite 2 and Elite3. Just got a Set installed on My 850 to Replace the 404s that Only Lasted 1 Season. So far I Really Like them and From what I have Read They should Outlast the 404s by Thousands of Miles.
                sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Ok, I see the 491s also called Elete I and II. The Elete I are raised white letter and the II are blackwall in radial and bias. I see that they are listed as "high milage and high load rating touring" and what the "GoldWingers have been waiting for". And they dont have the the 110/90 nor 130/90 but have MM and MU as the closest equvialnt size for what the GK calls for. So the 491 Elete II seem like a good alternative if you are concerned about mileage.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                  X