need help w/steering dampener..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help w/steering dampener..

Hello, Going nutzo here! '85 1150e trying to mock up mount locations for my fork mounting stabilizer, best so far is rod eye bolt bracket on right fork tube, but bolt mount to right? left? to rear? Then I drilled hole in right horn bracket that is frame mounted, and it is sturdy. bolted stabilizer body bracket(adjustable swivel eyebolt) to horn bracket, and have full lock to lock travel, but it is real sloppy if Imove it by hand. This alright? I tried unit crossing over to left tube but oil cooler in the way. can you folks post pics of your set-up please? I'm lost! Thanx, A.J.

Why on earth would you want to put a steering damper on an 1150??
    What is wrong with the bike?? Why not just fix that instead??

Dink

Comment

answer to why...

The chassis wasn't really designed for the power it has now and it has an old school Kosman widened 6in. rear wheel with the stock 16in. front. Also has a 4in.over swingarm with a works rear shock, lowered. Will have forks gone through but only so much you can do with this set-up. 1229 motor with agressive cams, and rs flatslides. I could go with a modern GSX-R wheels/suspension, but the bike is an old school-period correct piece that I love! Sure I could of kept my smoother,faster,easier to ride 2000 ZX12r 1270 motered bike, but I like the "Timebandit"! When this bike came out when I was 21, I always wanted one especially set up like this cause mine is how most street/strip musclebikes were.... Just want to make the bike a little safer on the pipe, cause with 92 ft.lbs. of torque it can get 'perty nasty! Peace,A.J. Picture of my bike is seen on general gs discussion section by member supergus sub. title "new to site, take it easy on me!" 3rd. page. Dont know how, so he posted for me...click my username, click posts by timebandt1150e,find "take it easy on me"subject,scroll down 3rd page,should work...thanx again for help...
      Last edited by Guest; 11-01-2006, 04:46 PM. Reason: added pic location

Comment

The fork mount is a pmfr piece that has been modified a bit to allow clearance of the damper at the valve cover
        EULC ON

Comment

On mine I just installed a big o-ring between the swivel and the mount. Remove bolt, pull swivel out and place o-ring around bolt hole on swivel then force swivel back into mount and then insert bolt. This keeps the whole assy from flopping up and down due to the action of the swivel. Hope this make sence??
          1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
          1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
          1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
          1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
          01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Bill, Iwanted to use that that same boss/bung on my frame too, but my unit is longer than that. I will try Jakes idea on the swivel, I think I follow? Gotta be a way to do this, the piece was given to me for powdercoating parts, so I don't have a bunch of money in it but I cant afford a new one. Too bad it isn't short like bill's, cause I'd really like to use that same boss thats just sitting thier doing nothin'! A.J.

Comment

Turn the Damper around. Mount the body to the fork and the rod to that lug.

Dink

Comment

This is on my gs1100. The body rocks up and down, but seems to work just fine.

Comment

Thanxs guys,I'll get it to work. A.J.

Comment

Dink,

They are there for safety. From the ProStar rules:

2.4.6 *STEERING DAMPER
                    Mandatory on all bikes 9.20 or quicker or 140 mph or faster, and may not act as fork stops.

I ran this one right down the center to keep it out of the way. Bike has enough rake that it works pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by lecroy View Post
                      Dink,

2.4.6 *STEERING DAMPER
                      Mandatory on all bikes 9.20 or quicker or 140 mph or faster, and may not act as fork stops.

I ran this one right down the center to keep it out of the way. Bike has enough rake that it works pretty good.

Wow - that's ingenious. I'd have never though of it....

I've got a Toby that I've been thinking of installing on the 750 - purely for useless bling, though.

Comment

Mines just like Ryan's below, love the rebuildable ones. If it feels sloppy and it's like this then an oil ring between the swivel and the adjustable mount works great.

Originally posted by rosco15 View Post
                        This is on my gs1100. The body rocks up and down, but seems to work just fine.
                        1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                        1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                        1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                        1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                        01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Originally posted by lecroy View Post
                          Dink,

2.4.6 *STEERING DAMPER
                          Thanks for that!! I didnt realise he was talking about dragbike not motorcycles.

Dink

Comment

I'm going to try that o-ring idea. never thought to try that. Very good idea.

Comment

Working...
                            X