Affordable Valve Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Jay View Post
    Yes, all the perforemance shops are getting away from the multi angle seats and going to radius seats.

Jay
    Jay can you exlpain why a radius seat is better?? Please, I would have thought it would reduce contact area between the valve and the seat and increase the risk of overheated valves??

Dink

Comment

I guess full radius is misleading. The 45 is still there. Below the 45 is all radius. It the past people tried to create the radius effect by doing miltiple angles, thus 5 angle valve jobs, etc .

Now with todays technology creating the radius is easy to do. In the past they did mulit angles trying to get as close to a radius as you could with flat cutters.

If you have a shop that tells you they will do a 5 angle valve job, you know they are using old tech hand cutters of stones.
      Speed Merchant
      http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Say Big Jay, the machinist did not anything about the seats, I guess for that price they probally wouldn't.

Comment

Be careful getting port work done..If done incorrectly it will cause a drop in power and create tuning nightmares. Just having bigger ports isnt all there is to a porting a head. I would trust a guy like Jay who has worked on everything from et racers to top fuel bikes and road racers. A few decades of race only work under your belt speaks for itself. Besides he's a pretty nice guy.
          EULC ON

Comment

Originally posted by Don Williams View Post
            Say Big Jay, the machinist did not anything about the seats, I guess for that price they probally wouldn't.
            Then it is not a valve job. We have the same service we do on heads that do not need the seats machined. Runs $160.00.

However if you called and asked how much for a valve job, we would quote $229.99 plus seals.

Jay
            Speed Merchant

Comment

You need one of those SERTI ? machines

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jay View Post
                Then it is not a valve job. We have the same service we do on heads that do not need the seats machined. Runs $160.00.

However if you called and asked how much for a valve job, we would quote $229.99 plus seals.

Jay
                Now I have a 16 valve head off of a 83 1100e 41ks.
                I can take the head and all the new parts I am buying seals,springs,etc.. and have a local machine shop, w M/C experience, clean the valves and do the install work for $100. On a reference helps with the price.\\/

When would it seem like I would need to have the seats machined.
                I always had constant good numbers across the bore @compression and wasn't even smoking.
                Only reason I have the head off, is to fix some leaks.
                Any helps is appreciated.[-o<
                Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                2000 Kawasaki Concours
                Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Doug if the local shop is any good they will "vacuum test" the head beforethey do anything else, so they can decide it seats need cutting or not. Of cause if you are concerned lay the head on its side and fill the ports with fuel to see if it leaks anywhere.

Dink

Comment

The seats can be pitted and stull pull good static vacuum. But it can leak when real world cylinder pressure is applied.

Have your guy lap the valves. See if the seats lap all the way around and there is no pitting. Otherwise do the seats.

A word of caution.... The valve guide clearance has to be very good, or you are wasting your time doing the seats. We almost never see a rocker arm cylinder head without worn out guides.

Jay
                    Speed Merchant

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                      You need one of those SERTI ? machines

That's Serdi, and that is what we use.
                      Speed Merchant

Comment

Hey Jay, checked on the valve seats and they use a Neway cutting machine, it's a manual carbide cutting machine.

Comment

Working...
                        X