Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
    Bikers:
    Hapless Saps in Assless Chaps. Rides only when necessary to impress buddies, or show off his overpriced piece of crap. Usual destination, the next bar.
    Looks down upon other riders who may not be riding the same make, style, or even model bike.
    Spends tons of money on little chrome things, so his buddies will envy his shiny bike.
    Likes to hold up traffic in the slow lane, so everyone can be impressed by his shiny ride. Generally likes to impede the flow of traffic. Wears cool looking stuff.
    Runs very loud pipes so everyone will be impressed when he needlessly blips the throttle waiting for a light to change, or blasts through quiet neigborhoods.
    Around here, those are called POSEURS, not bikers.

Maybe it's regional or something... we don't have many poseurs because people in these parts don't have a lot of money. They ride what they like and can afford. Everyone I know who is comfortable with the term "biker" lives and breathes it. I think of the term biker as the more old school type rider who sees riding as a lifestyle. Yes, lots of them have long beards and long hair. Some wear colors and vests and whatnot. Some of them were wilder in their youth. Most have grown up and have blue collar jobs - mechanics, drivers, factory workers, etc. All I know is if I need help with something, these guys are there. They do a LOT of charity stuff too - not just riding in the event but organizing and planning and working at them on top of their 50+ hour work weeks. Some ride Harleys, some ride other makes.

I had a girl from a local but more rural area tho who contacted me through a social networking website. She asked me what kind of bikes I like. I replied that I like lots of different bikes but am more into cafe racers and cruisers. She replied "Oh, I like sportbikes. Too bad, we could have ridden together next year" and I thought WTF? None of my Harley friends give me that attitude! It was the first time any one gave me any attitude about bike type. She didn't care that I have Suzuki and a Yamaha.

Attitudes are everywhere, and anyone of any style can have them!

Comment

Originally posted by MissFabulous View Post
      Around here, those are called POSEURS, not bikers.
      They're not at all the same.

Comment

. . . . . I have Suzuki and a Yamaha.
        BOTH! And to think I was starting to like you . \\/ . Wait, you're a girl? Why do you get to have 2 bikes?!?!? I want two bikes! Thats not fair. I'm going to hold my breath till I get a second bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Giblet View Post
          BOTH! And to think I was starting to like you . \\/ . Wait, you're a girl? Why do you get to have 2 bikes?!?!? I want two bikes! Thats not fair. I'm going to hold my breath till I get a second bike.
          Because I am insane and a glutton for punishment, I mean uh, projects... at least I got the dirt bike to fart and sputter all by myself tonight! I'm telling you - the best smelling farts are the ones out of a bike that hasn't run in a while!

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Bikers:
            Hapless Saps in Assless Chaps. Rides only when necessary to impress buddies, or show off his overpriced piece of crap. Usual destination, the next bar.
            Looks down upon other riders who may not be riding the same make, style, or even model bike.
            Spends tons of money on little chrome things, so his buddies will envy his shiny bike.
            Likes to hold up traffic in the slow lane, so everyone can be impressed by his shiny ride. Generally likes to impede the flow of traffic. Wears cool looking stuff.
            Runs very loud pipes so everyone will be impressed when he needlessly blips the throttle waiting for a light to change, or blasts through quiet neigborhoods.

Motorcyclists:
            One who Eats, Breathes, Sleeps, Talks, Lives, Loves, and Rides Motorcycles. Motorcycle is always the first choice of vehicle to get anyplace. Any and all motorcycles, new, old, big, small, fast, slow, dirt, street, ugly or pretty are all worth getting exited over.
            Would rather ride to Alaska or South America than fly there.
            Spends tons of money on improvements, modifications, tools, whatever it takes to make the motorcycle better suited to his type of riding.
            Rides fast, safely, and smoothly. Usually very good at not screwing up the flow of traffic. Wears protective gear.
            Practices riding skills and learning new things whenever possible.
            Seen "On Any Sunday" lots of times.

Interestingly, in Europe I saw zero of the "biker" types, even the guys on Harleys acted like regular motorcycles, and they all rode pretty well.

I think the whole "Biker" thing is an American concept.
            I think you have them reversed...a biker rides for the sake of the ride. A motorcyclist...I'm still trying to figure out what that's from. I think its the title of a magazine. What you describe as a biker IS actually a POSER.
            Last edited by snark; 01-04-2007, 01:48 AM.
            1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
            The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Originally posted by snark View Post
              I think you have them reversed...a biker rides for the sake of the ride. A motorcyclist...I'm still trying to figure out what that's from. I think its the title of a magazine. What you describe as a biker IS actually a POSER.
              Its quite simple actually. Anyone that rides less than 30K per year is a poser.

E. :-)
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post

..............And so is anyone who pays more then $20,000 for a bike.

Stevie D

Comment

I might have to take a small exception. I ride to/from work almost every day. I rode home from work in the dark/rain last night & rode in this AM in the dark/rain. Got to feeling very sick and decided to come back home. Could have waited for a relative with a cage to come get me but nooooooo. . . . . . I toughed it out and rode home. Does that make me a poser? If so, I've gotta start taking a longer route home \\/ .
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-04-2007, 12:42 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                    Lucky dog!! :-D Do they still have the Playboy mags?? Bob
                    Argosy. :-D

Comment

I understand about attitude. I get it from all sides. When riding the Harley I get no respect from kids on their sport bikes. I was at a poker run with one of the Gs11s and there was a guy on a ZX12 that absolutely refused to talk to me because I was some old guy on a dinosaur bike, (I asked one of his riding buddies what his deal was and that is what he told me).
                      As for myself, I'll ride with anybody. All I care about is that you want to ride, even if you just want a ride. As long as you refer to me as a motorcyclist and not a biker we'll get along just fine.

Comment

I had a girl from a local but more rural area tho who contacted me through a social networking website. She asked me what kind of bikes I like. I replied that I like lots of different bikes but am more into cafe racers and cruisers. She replied "Oh, I like sportbikes. Too bad, we could have ridden together next year" and I thought WTF? None of my Harley friends give me that attitude! It was the first time any one gave me any attitude about bike type. She didn't care that I have Suzuki and a Yamaha.

Attitudes are everywhere, and anyone of any style can have them!
                        Oh wow, I've told people the same thing (or nearly...)! I didn't mean that I was too cool to ride with them or anything, it's just a dfiferent kind of ride when I go sportbiking! Cruisers and whatnot just won't be able to keep up, and I wouldn't think it would be fun for them!

Gee, I guess a bunch of people must think I'm a jerk! I certainly like to ride with cruisers or whoever when I'm on my Kat or something though!

Comment

Um...I don't put 30K on the truck, the car, and the bike combined...we may want to take a poll and figure out a good mileage number.

I ride everyday I don't have to worry about snow or ice.
                          1981 GS 450L

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie D View Post
                            ..............And so is anyone who pays more then $20,000 for a bike.

Stevie D
                            Is that for the whole bike at once or all the parts and pieces to put it together?
                            1981 GS 450L

Comment

Originally posted by Commodus View Post
                              Oh wow, I've told people the same thing (or nearly...)! I didn't mean that I was too cool to ride with them or anything, it's just a dfiferent kind of ride when I go sportbiking! Cruisers and whatnot just won't be able to keep up, and I wouldn't think it would be fun for them!

Gee, I guess a bunch of people must think I'm a jerk! I certainly like to ride with cruisers or whoever when I'm on my Kat or something though!
                              Well, in her case, she knows I'm brand new to riding, so even if I had some screaming crotch rocket, I still wouldn't be in any shape to keep up, although she's only been riding for a year I think. Since I never heard from her again, I think it's more that she has a snobby attitude. Lots of little cafe racers could keep up with a Ninja 250!

Comment

Well, in her case, she knows I'm brand new to riding, so even if I had some screaming crotch rocket, I still wouldn't be in any shape to keep up, although she's only been riding for a year I think. Since I never heard from her again, I think it's more that she has a snobby attitude. Lots of little cafe racers could keep up with a Ninja 250!
                                Most real cafe racers could more than keep up! Their #1 job was to ton up as fast a mechanically possible. Keeping up shouldn't be an issue!

Comment

Working...
                                X