No announcement yet.

Mikuni BSW30SS Carb Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a set of these carbs and I cannot for the life of me find the air fuel mix screw. Which side is it on? Ive traced all the holes in these carbs and can only find 2 screw on the inside that are nothing more than vac screws. Im also working ont one of those dreade.. "Fix someone else's mistakes" bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Danjal View Post
      I have a set of these carbs and I cannot for the life of me find the air fuel mix screw. Which side is it on? Ive traced all the holes in these carbs and can only find 2 screw on the inside that are nothing more than vac screws. Im also working ont one of those dreade.. "Fix someone else's mistakes" bike.
      The idle mixture screws are located on the front side (engine side) of these carbs. There are four of them, two per carb. located on the forward corners. They came originally with a metal plug covering them. This plug is a tamper proof seal. They are not supposed to be adjusted after they leave the factory.
      I guess Mr. Suzuki Engineer did not expect that these bikes would last this long.

Comment

Originally posted by GSJim69 View Post
        The idle mixture screws are located on the front side (engine side) of these carbs. There are four of them, two per carb. located on the forward corners. They came originally with a metal plug covering them. This plug is a tamper proof seal. They are not supposed to be adjusted after they leave the factory.
        I guess Mr. Suzuki Engineer did not expect that these bikes would last this long.
        Brass plugs by chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Danjal View Post
          Brass plugs by chance?
          The ones that I have seen are a grey aluminum color. They usually have a small hole in the center.
          I attached an old picture that I have of some carbs before cleaning. I put a grey box around the idle mixture screws. The plugs are removed, but this should clear up where they are located.

Comment

Thanks very much jim.

Comment

Dredging this back up for some more info here...

Does anyone know if there are any particularities to cleaning these? I've done everything else to my ride but clean the carbs, but I've been a bit leery of doing so since there's really no guides to speak of on cleaning and tuning these.

I got a o-ring set for CV carbs, and hopefully the rings in there can be used with these goofy Mikuni's. I'll try to take photos when I do break them down and do a little writeup like the wonderful tutorial on "normal" carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by fenderfreek View Post
                Dredging this back up for some more info here...

Does anyone know if there are any particularities to cleaning these? I've done everything else to my ride but clean the carbs, but I've been a bit leery of doing so since there's really no guides to speak of on cleaning and tuning these.

I got a o-ring set for CV carbs, and hopefully the rings in there can be used with these goofy Mikuni's. I'll try to take photos when I do break them down and do a little writeup like the wonderful tutorial on "normal" carbs.

These carbs are not goofy they are siamesed to save space to allow for design flexibility.

Bah some folks still arent over square headlights in spite of the advent of composite designs.

KZ 1300 had sianmesed carbs as well.

no different to clean than any other carb in fact a wee bit easier due to half the number of floats and float valves.....

while yah gots em off change the intake o rings

Comment

I did change the intake o-rings, but hadn't gotten around to deep cleaning the carbs themselves.

I guess "goofy" probably wasn't what I was really going for, but they are comparatively "odd" so I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I'm missing here. They're definitely not covered as much as all the other BS carbs. I did notice that the caps on the mix screws are gone, so someone's tweaked them along the way.

My problem is that it won't start without the choke wide open, though warming it up on partial choke for a minute or two lets it run without any problem. I've done the coil mod and inspected, adjusted, and/or replaced the plugs, valves, intake o-rings, airbox, and boots, so the only thing left to tinker with is the carbs themselves.

My gut tells me the mix screws just need tweaking, but since I don't know anything about the service habits of the PO, I'm just gonna break em down and dip everything to be sure.

I've treated everything as if the PO hadn't done any service at all, and so far my assumption has been proving to be very prudent. The valves were way too tight and the intake rings were hard as a rock and flat as a pancake. It's doing much better, but there's still work to do before it runs the way I want it to.

Comment

Go to BassCliff's website and download the workshop manual for the 1983 GS550 ES (the TSCC) model 16 valves.
                    Hope this helps.

Link: GS550E/ES/L Servivce Manual '83 (149MB)

Comment

Just for reference I drilled the plugs out on a spare set of carbs I have and they were set at 2.25 turns from the factory.

Comment

Working...
                      X