Vancouver Newbie Looking To Learn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vancouver Newbie Looking To Learn

Are there any GS whizzes in Vancouver (BC) willing to spend a little time with a newbie to help learn to basic maintainance and some tune-up/diagnosis skills?

I'm more than happy to bring some beers for when you're done, or can trade your time for video games for yourself or your kids - I work in the industry

I've a 81 GS650E that runs great (maintainace/tuneup) and an 83 GS650L that doesnt run so great (tuneup/diagnosis)

I'd be happy enough to gain enough skill/knowledge that I wont be easily scammed by shops/garages but finding a buddy to learn from and ride with would be rad too.

If no one is in your area ask your tech questions here. Many helpful folks here.
    Welcome to the GSR! \\/
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Your two best friends are this forum and a manual. Suzuki Factory Service Manuals are best, but a Clymer is pretty good too. That's how I got my start in motorcycle mechanics, and I've worked on dozens of bikes now.

Your third best friend is Sears, and your worst enemy is your Sears charge card.\\/

Comment

thanks guys... in that case I'll get some pics taken this weekend and post a little hello in the Owners forum.

In the meantime, Vancouver GS Owners - take me under your wing :-D

Comment

Another Vancouverite on The GS Resources

iDodgimus,

I stumbled across this forum a little while ago and am finding it a great resource. Who would have thought that early '80s (and 70s even) GS's were still that popular? I guess being able to turn a wrench without the aid of a computer helps in that regard.

I have a space to work on my new to me '83 GS650G, but like you am in the position of trying to find local riders with the tools, equipment, and knowledge of the best way to approach some of the known and unknown pitfalls of tuning these great bikes.

Are you still in Vancouver, BC?
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
            iDodgimus,

I stumbled across this forum a little while ago and am finding it a great resource. Who would have thought that early '80s (and 70s even) GS's were still that popular? I guess being able to turn a wrench without the aid of a computer helps in that regard.

I have a space to work on my new to me '83 GS650G, but like you am in the position of trying to find local riders with the tools, equipment, and knowledge of the best way to approach some of the known and unknown pitfalls of tuning these great bikes.

Are you still in Vancouver, BC?
            You really should post your own thread.I'm sure there are Vancouver area members who would be willing to help.

Comment

Ditto on starting your own thread. Start with an intro post in the "GS Owners" section.

Notice that the thread you responded to is over 3 1/2 years old and the person you addressed is listed as a guest, which probably means he is no longer on the forum (at least not under that name).
              1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

Another Vancouverite on The GS Resources- OLD threads

Thanks for the headsups. That's a good idea.

I'm still learning to navigate the forum, and sometimes getting lost in its breadth and depth. I realized I was taking a flyer posting it there, but didn't see how old the thread was until after I hit the POST button. I'm surprised anyone else even noticed. Thank goodness for the TODAY'S POSTS tab.
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
                X