"Trigger Green Traffic Lights"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Trigger Green Traffic Lights"

Have you guy tried this. I was browsing this cool web page and found this. Haven't tried it yet, but it if works it seems like a cheap easy solution.

Trigger GREEN Traffic Lights: if you or someone you know, owns a motorcycle, a scooter or even a small car, you've probably noticed that it's easy to get stuck at traffic lights. Well, I'm going to explain why it happens and show you a great little trick that will save time, gas…

You can also just hit your starter button for a second (yes while the bikes running) and the starter motors electric field will trigger the light as well as these magnets. Try to get your bike near the tape also. That's how I do it.

Comment

Just run the sucker!

Comment

I have never tried that brand, but I did have a large magnet tie-wrapped to the centerstand on my Kaw Voyager. It seemed to work on a couple of lights around here, but a better solution is to talk to the city or county engineering office to see who is responsible for adjusting the sensitivity of the sensors. By law, they should trip for any vehicle that is allowed to use the road, so they need to know that it is not set properly. If you have the time, offer to go with them to the intersection so that they can use your bike for testing.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I tried the magnet, it helped some. A tip from a user here: pop the center stand down while you wait, it triggers them. (just kick it down till it touches, you are already offcenter near the edges as a smart biker... not sitting in the oil in the middle of the lane.)

Works too!

Comment

Maybe its one of the perks of riding an older bike. I've never encountered a problem with my 850.

Comment

Gave up and had to run a red the other day. Tried the starter, tried rolling over the seams, just would not stinkin' change...

Comment

In the motorcycle class, they said that it was legal to go on a red light if you are certain that it is a sensor light, and if you have been there for 45 seconds or more. In Wisconsin anyway..

Comment

Yeah I was stuck there probably 2 minutes. By that time I felt pretty justified in running it, law or not... And it was perfectly safe, good visibility, low traffic....

Comment

I like the quote in the Hough book...

talking about the growing amounts of double-yellow lines on 2 lane road ways not leaving much passing options. Goes on to say that its up to the rider if you want to stay stuck behind slow traffic or pass on the double yellow....

says something like--its no more 'illegal' to pass on the double yellow than it is to speed. probably goes for redlights that won't change. Every now and then there's one here in Colorado Springs that sticks on red...even at 4AM with NO other cars coming in the cross-direction. Look around for cops and run it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholaschase29 View Post
                      In the motorcycle class, they said that it was legal to go on a red light if you are certain that it is a sensor light, and if you have been there for 45 seconds or more. In Wisconsin anyway..
                      In my class in Maine they said it is illegal to run the red no matter what AND it's illegal to use the trigger device! WTF?

Comment

After waiting 7 minutes for the light to change (32nd and Sheridan - for Colorado people), I told my passenger to, "hold on a second", put the kickstand down, got off the bike and pushed the pedestrian "Walk" button. ...She thought it was pretty funny.:-D

Comment

Originally posted by zach_denver View Post
                          After waiting 7 minutes for the light to change (32nd and Sheridan - for Colorado people), I told my passenger to, "hold on a second", put the kickstand down, got off the bike and pushed the pedestrian "Walk" button. ...She thought it was pretty funny.:-D
                          Ooh, I gotta try that one...

Comment

they just passed a new law here in Texas requiring smart (HA!) lights to be able to detect and switch for motorcycles. (power in numbers!)

Lights known not to switch for motorcycles have been switched to dumb timer mode and now rotate green based on a set timer and not by the magnetic sensors.(till they can be updated)

pretty much all the new signals going up around here use machine vision now instead of magnetic sensors. they have cameras that "see" when something is at the light and also are programable to adapt for the changing traffic patterns.

Comment

And riding with traffic, I find that some drivers will stay so far back from my bike (at least they showed some consideration, right?), that I was stuck up at the induction zone with cars waiting behind me and a light that wouldn't change. I inch up past the stop line and motion the driver to move up right behind my bike. That freaks'em out. Some have no idea what I'm trying to get them to do and keep as far away from me as possible.

My MSF instructor -bound to give us lawful instructions- just told us to turn right at the red and detour around the light.
                              Last edited by Guest; 10-06-2007, 11:56 PM. Reason: B'cuaz teyeping ur hart.

Comment

Working...
                              X