No announcement yet.

"Trigger Green Traffic Lights"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way, I've used the pull way forward and utilize the cage behind you technique a few times now. Unfortunately there's not always a cage behind...

Comment

Originally posted by MalFet View Post
      And riding with traffic, I find that some drivers will stay so far back from my bike (at least they showed some consideration, right?), that I was stuck up at the induction zone with cars waiting behind me and a light that wouldn't change. I inch up past the stop line and motion the driver to move up right behind my bike. That freaks'em out. Some have no idea what I'm trying to get them to do and keep as far away from me as possible.
      I get off, and give them the speach. It really messes with them for a second, till they get it, but they're blocked in, so what can they do? It gives them the best "boy do I feel so stupid right now" expressions you'll ever see!

Comment

Go to the farm store and get a couple Cow Magnets. Slap them on your center stand.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
          Go to the farm store and get a couple Cow Magnets. Slap them on your center stand.

Will this not attract the H-D crowd, along with more bulls...?8-[
          "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
          Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

What the heck is a "cow magnet" supposed to be used for?

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
              What the heck is a "cow magnet" supposed to be used for?
              Just like an aluminum magnet. Used for advanced tipping techniques.

Ok, maybe not. From what I understand, you shove this down a cow's throat. It stays in the first stomach and traps any nails, fence staples, or other sharp magnetic things that might harm the cow if it goes further. Apparently, they sometimes Hoover these things up while munching grass.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                Ok, maybe not. From what I understand, you shove this down a cow's throat. It stays in the first stomach and traps any nails, fence staples, or other sharp magnetic things that might harm the cow if it goes further. Apparently, they sometimes Hoover these things up while munching grass.
                Hey that's just what my one-year-old child needs!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholaschase29 View Post
                  In the motorcycle class, they said that it was legal to go on a red light if you are certain that it is a sensor light, and if you have been there for 45 seconds or more. In Wisconsin anyway..
                  My dad has worked for the WI DOT as traffic electrican for 30+ years, his crew is often requested to adjust the loop sensitivty. They are happy to do it, but often people don't know who to call. Sometimes people seek the local TV "special investigative" news channel reporter to help so he gets on TV to explain how the systems works and tweaks it accordingly.

So for the SE Cheeseheads you can call the office in West Allis (Hawley Rd) and ask for the electrical shop.
                  Last edited by yasser; 02-19-2008, 10:59 PM.
                  Hondas
                  '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
                  Suzuki
                  '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
                  Kaw
                  '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zach_denver View Post
                    After waiting 7 minutes for the light to change (32nd and Sheridan - for Colorado people), I told my passenger to, "hold on a second", put the kickstand down, got off the bike and pushed the pedestrian "Walk" button. ...She thought it was pretty funny.:-D
                    Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
                    Ooh, I gotta try that one...
                    Even funnier if you ride up onto the footpath (sidewalk). LOL

Comment

Originally posted by MalFet View Post
                      And riding with traffic, I find that some drivers will stay so far back from my bike (at least they showed some consideration, right?), that I was stuck up at the induction zone with cars waiting behind me and a light that wouldn't change. I inch up past the stop line and motion the driver to move up right behind my bike. That freaks'em out. Some have no idea what I'm trying to get them to do and keep as far away from me as possible.
                      Yeah, I've seen that, most of the time, in fact. I suspect that the natural gesture that indicates "motion the driver to move up right behind" is a little suggestive. I guess you need a sign that says "No, I'm not soliciting anything illegal."
                      Mark Fisher
                      sigpic
                      ..............................27 years

Comment

I have quite a few lights like this. Most of the time it's all good because of all the cages around but when I go out for my lunch break at 4 AM there is no way I'm going to trip certain lights that I can't just run because they are right in front of the Steak n Shake where all the cops hang out. There were a few occassions where I'd be stopped at a busy intersection and another bike would pull up behind me or beside me and then we'd both be screwed. We both motioned to the cars behind us to pull up and none of them would untill after about 8 or 9 light cycles for the other side of the street.

How big of a magnet is usually in these devices? I have a few too many blown subwoofers that have some pretty good size mags on them that would probably do the job wouldn't you think? Who do you contact about getting the sensitivity adjusted?

Comment

OK, I've resisted this long enough.

I have to guess that those cow magnets will only work on Kowasakis????????

Sorry, just couldn't hold it any longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark whiz View Post
                            OK, I've resisted this long enough.

I have to guess that those cow magnets will only work on Kowasakis????????

Sorry, just couldn't hold it any longer.
                            Actually I think they work on most any bike during mating season to attract the Kowasuckis

Comment

i know in ny that the law says you can go through a red light with extreme caution, but only if it is "broken" i've had a friend run one a few times. it wouldn't pick up his 86 camaro. and sometimes wouldn't even detect an ambulance. so it was really messed up. just be safe and if it comes like one guy said earlier is make a right then a u turn and another right.

Comment

As a motorcycle safety instructor in California, I'll tell you that the CVC states that it is, indeed (in California ) LEGAL to proceed against a traffic control device if said device is not properly operating.

That is to say that a traffic-sensing signal light that is not sensitive enough to be triggered by a motorcycle is essentially malfunctioning, so you may proceed (with utmost caution) when it is clear to do so. BUT - you must first yeild to the traffic control device long enough to make sure that it is truly malfunctioning and not merely on a delayed timer - a couple of revolutions each direction should suffice.

I'm sure that if you search, most states would have sections like this in their vehicle codes. Otherwise, folks would be backed up for miles at lights whose bulbs have burned out.

Again, there is no specific "motorcycles can run red lights" code, but the code that applies to inoperable traffic control devices also applies to vehicle sensors that do not detect motorcycles.

And if you care to, you can look up the specific code at www.ca.dmv.gov (get a fresh cup of coffee, first...!).

Most importantly, when you do encounter a traffic light that won't trigger for lone motorcyclists, report it to your local DOT as soon as possible - inoperable traffic control devices pose a significant safety hazard for all motorists.

(And no, Virginia, Green Light magnets do not work. As mentioned before, your bike's starter creates a far larger E/M field than a "stick-on" magnet ever could. Claiming that your cousin's brother-in-law's traffic light magnet worked because he never got stuck at a light is like claiming that your deer whistle works because you've never ran into a deer... :shock::-D)

-Q!

Comment

Working...
                                X