Offset Front Sprocket Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offset Front Sprocket Question

I am in the process of doing a 1995 GSXR suspension upgrade on my 1983 GS110esd. I now have most of my parts that I need thanks to the help from Katman but need to get your help on a new offset sprocket. I have done some searching on the forum and found that in order to stuff a 180 rear tire, I will need to get a 530 17 tooth 5/8 offset sprocket . I did some checking on the web and found a few options.

PMFR has a 530 17 tooth 5/8 offset sprocket but has a nose!
    What is the nose for and does it need a separate bearing?
    Will I still be able to use my stock front chain cover with a nose?
    http://www.pmfronline.com/counter_shaft_sprockets.htm

I also found a 530 17 tooth 13mm offset sprocket at SPROCKETCENTER.COM which is not too far from where I live.
    Is the 13mm offset sprocket the same as a 5/8 offset sprocket?
    http://www.sprocketcenter.com/g/4156...tio-chart.html

I have an inquiry into Z1 too but am waiting on a reply.

Can any of you help me with my questions or can share with me on where to get my 530 offset sprocket for the front, rear sprocket and chains?

Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2007, 02:10 AM.

I'd ask this in the performance mods section. The dragbike guys hang out there and would probably know.
    The Nose on the sprocket is for an aftermarket sprocket cover that does have a bearing.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

5/8" is more like 16 mm so 13 mm offset wouldn't be enough. The nose is for an outrigger bearing which you wouldn't use on a streetbike. Consider going with a 520 chain as it's less likely to drag on your frame, and even lighter than 530. The deciding factor for 530 vs. 520 is if you can find a 520 rear sprocket for the rear wheel you're going to use. Check JT Sprockets online catalog to see what your options are.

As for 520 chains, I use the DID 520 ERV3. http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/1023...ace-chain.html

It's super strong, light, and thin enough that it doesn't drag on the frame.

Give Randy at Advanced Precision a call at 888-347-7262 for offset front sprockets.
      I got a custom 5/8" offset 520 sprocket from him for the GS1000 and it turned out really nice, reasonable price too at $50. It's the one in the middle below.

Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2007, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
        5/8" is more like 16 mm so 13 mm offset wouldn't be enough. The nose is for an outrigger bearing which you wouldn't use on a streetbike. Consider going with a 520 chain as it's less likely to drag on your frame, and even lighter than 530. The deciding factor for 530 vs. 520 is if you can find a 520 rear sprocket for the rear wheel you're going to use. Check JT Sprockets online catalog to see what your options are.

As for 520 chains, I use the DID 520 ERV3. http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/1023...ace-chain.html

It's super strong, light, and thin enough that it doesn't drag on the frame.

Give Randy at Advanced Precision a call at 888-347-7262 for offset front sprockets.
        I got a custom 5/8" offset 520 sprocket from him for the GS1000 and it turned out really nice, reasonable price too at $50. It's the one in the middle below.

Thanks for the info! I called Randy from Advanced Precision who indicated that he could make me a sprocket from scratch but will take about 3 to 4 weeks.

Rob also email me back from A1 who was really helpful! I ordered the rear sprocket and chain through him and referred me to Precision Metal Fab for the 5/8 sprocket with the nessasary info. Same people that Katman referred me too! I should have my parts soon!
        Well, Im getting close to starting my upgrade! I will post some pix when ready!

Comment

Cool! What's the contact info for Precision Metal Fab? What are they making for you and what are they charging? Looking forward to seeing some pics of your progress. Are you doing a dual shock rear end or monoshock?

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
            Cool! What's the contact info for Precision Metal Fab? What are they making for you and what are they charging? Looking forward to seeing some pics of your progress. Are you doing a dual shock rear end or monoshock?
            I am getting a 530 17teeth 5/8 counter shaft sprocket with a nose. The tech said that I can use it with the nose or can just cut it off. I believe the nose is part of a complete outboard bearing support kit which costs around $450.00. It's good if im building a drag bike but I dont think I will need it for street use. The sprocket will cost me $80.00 and my contact person was a lady named Deb.

I am doing a dual shock rear setup on a Bandit 1200 swingarm from Katman for that vintage look. Have to say it looks very nice!\\/

Comment

Looking forward to seeing pics of your project.

Comment

80GS1000:

I'm enjoying the progress of your streetfighter and deriving inspiration for my own long-delayed project along similar lines.

I've got a 1978 GS1000 with a GS1100 swingarm, and I'm hoping to hook up a 1989 GSXR750 wheel I've got. I'm guessing the 5/8 offset sprocket with a 520 chain might be just the ticket. What specifications did you need to provide Randy in order for him to fab a new countershaft sprocket?

Thanks for the help.
                1978 GS1000 http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/P1010050.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by jskellington View Post
                  80GS1000:

I'm enjoying the progress of your streetfighter and deriving inspiration for my own long-delayed project along similar lines.

I've got a 1978 GS1000 with a GS1100 swingarm, and I'm hoping to hook up a 1989 GSXR750 wheel I've got. I'm guessing the 5/8 offset sprocket with a 520 chain might be just the ticket. What specifications did you need to provide Randy in order for him to fab a new countershaft sprocket?

Thanks for the help.
                  Tell Randy you want a 520 5/8" offset front sprocket for your GS1000, and how many teeth you want. If you go this route, you'll need a 520 rear sprocket made for your wheel as the JT Sprockets catalog doesn't show a 520 rear sprocket as being available for the wheel you want to use. I went with 17 up front to provide for more chain clearance, and 48 on the back. This still keeps the stock gearing ratio but gives the chain a bit extra height so it doesn't hit the swingarm as much. Even so, I still used the stock GSXR rubber chain guide on the GSXR swingarm to keep the chain from gnawing through the swingarm.

Keep in mind not all 520 chains are the same width either, surprisingly. I had to use the DID chain listed above as it was thin enough not to foul the frame. Another EK chain I tried was a few mm wider and hit the frame.

You might have to shave down the sprocket carrier on a mill a bit to get the chain to line up correctly. I had to shave my sprocket carrier down by 1.5 mm but that was with a 05 GSXR 750 rear wheel and sprocket carrier. If you have other questions don't hesitate to ask. Katman is a good resource too for fitting early GSXR wheels into GS1100 swingers. http://www.robwilton.com/tech.html#180
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-15-2007, 04:00 PM.

Comment

I did the same mod on my '82 1100E. I shimmed the front sprocket (just a regular flat 530 sprocket) out with large washers. I got it lined up perfectly with the rear sprocket and still had the output shaft splines throught 100% of the sprocket. The only problem was not being able to use the lock washer because the splines were flush with the sprocket face and had nothing left for the washer to hang on to. I solved this by taking 2 allen head cap screws and screwing them into the sprocket face (it already had 2 threaded holes in it) right next to the flats of the sprocket nut effectively locking it in place. No offset sprocket required.
                    Whatever method you choose you will have to grind off about 1/8" from the inside of the frame right where the foot peg bolts up. Not really a problem because there's a lot of meat there and your're not compromising any structural rigidity here.

Comment

[quote=kichigai;707445]I am getting a 530 17teeth 5/8 counter shaft sprocket with a nose. The tech said that I can use it with the nose or can just cut it off. I believe the nose is part of a complete outboard bearing support kit which costs around $450.00. It's good if im building a drag bike but I dont think I will need it for street use. The sprocket will cost me $80.00 and my contact person was a lady named Deb.

Here are a few pixs of my 5/8 Counter shaft sprocket that I recently recieved from (PMFR) Precision Metal Fab Racing. I just have to see how it will fit with the nose on the end of the sprocket! The quality is very nice! Hope it works!

Last edited by Guest; 10-20-2007, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Fella, I have a little problem! I installed the 5/8" couterweight offset front sprocket , a 47 tooth rear sprocket, using a 530 chain to fit a set of 1993 GSXR 1100 rims with a 180 rear. I also used my old GS1100es sprocket carrier as recommended and noticed that the chain slightly rubs on the frame. Has anyone come across this? Any recommendations? I grinded the frame a little bit in a few spots to get a bit more clearance so it doesnt rub now but its still close. Also has anyone had more luck using a 3/8" offset (10mm equivelent) or a 1/2" offset (13mm equivelent) for this set up?

Comment

Hey Kichigai, I am over by Disneyland & can help you out. Call me at 714-356-7845. On the GS frames when we set them up for drag racing, to clear the chain I will take a large ball pein & use the pein end to dent the frame in where the chain runs into it. I run a 7 inch slick on a 6 inch wide wheel with a 630 chain & the complete PMFR 5/8 offset & get the chain to clear with some "persuasion". Let me know if I can help you. Ray.

Comment

Rapidray, Thanks for your offer! I may take you up on it if I cant figure this out! Im not too far from you. I live close to LAX! Man you run a 6 inch rim on a 7 inch slick!! Dang, that is too cool but you point out a good question for me. Given that my 180 tire and 5.5 inch rim is not as wide as your setup, cant I use a front sprocket with less offset since there seems to be plenty of room from the chain to the edge of the tire?? Some have indicated that they have even used their stock sprocket and have just shimmed it out a bit but I worry about the contact with the spline.
                            As for using a persuasion tool, (Ballpeen Hammer) its a bit too late for that. I read on another thread that someone suggested to file a little bit from the inside of the frame. I used the same advice and filed till the inside pipe of the frame was almost paper thin. Yes I took too much off I know, but even with that, its very close to rubbing. Maybe I can build the shaved part back up and then give it a dent instead. Humm!

Comment

Thin 520 roadracing chain with a 5.5x17" rim and 180 rear works for me without frame persuasion...
                              Less offset will make your chain rub on the tire, and the chain won't be in alignment on the front and rear sprockets.
                              Last edited by Guest; 12-09-2007, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X