No announcement yet.

Offset Front Sprocket Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, we can dent the frame in EASIER now that it is thinner & then weld another formed piece over the top of it. Sometimes we will cut a piece of the tubing completely out & REVERSE it & weld it back in with NO strength loss! Think about that idea because it really works VERY well for strength! Let me know. If you want to call I do better on the phone than the computer as I have a wife & 2 sons who are all competing for keyboard time. 714-356-7845. Ray.

Comment

80GS1000, Thanks for the the tip! Unfortunatley, I just bought the 530 chain, gears, sprocket and cant see buying everything again in a 520 so I will have to make do.

Ray, Sound like a C notch! I could see that working but I think im rubbing in a few places. Man, and I was hopeing on just swaping out the front sprocket for a 10 or 13 mm. Oh well! When I get around to playing with my bike again, I will give you a jingle.

Thanks guys! :>

Comment

Originally posted by LarryT View Post
        I have a 6" Busa wheel on my GS > Im using a 630 chain with a 3/8" offset sprocket and a 1/8' washer = 1/2" offset
        If this works with a 6" Busa wheel, it got to work with a 530 chain with a 5.5 inch GXSR wheel! Personally I felt that the 5/8 offset was way too much offset. I may have to try getting a 13mm sprocket which is a 1/2 equivelent since the chain is still so close to still rubbing the frame. I will post up if this works. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by kichigai View Post
          If this works with a 6" Busa wheel, it got to work with a 530 chain with a 5.5 inch GXSR wheel! Personally I felt that the 5/8 offset was way too much offset. I may have to try getting a 13mm sprocket which is a 1/2 equivelent since the chain is still so close to still rubbing the frame. I will post up if this works. Thanks!
          Wonder how you'd get proper sprocket alignment and clear a 180/190 tire on a 6" rear Busa rim with only 1/2" offset....? I tried a 6 inch GSXR 1000 rim on mine and the alignment was bad even with the 5/8" offset. If there's a way to do this, that'd be great.

Comment

kichigai,
            I'm sure this problem can be solved and your bike will look killer when its done, however for others that want to go down this path and haven't bought a rear wheel yet, I suggest you at least consider a Suzuki 160 wide rear from something like an RF900 or another model.

If you really want the 180 wide for appearance thats one thing but if you just want to be able to run modern radials with excellent handling then 160 is all you need on these bikes. I'm running BattelAxe 021s front and rear and couldn't be happier with the results. I have 98 GSXR1100 forks, brakes and wheels

Yea there may be stickier tire componds but I put on way too many miles on my bikes to be changing tires every 3000 miles ( if your lucky). I can tell you that the limiting factor on lean angle for these bikes is not going to be your tires its going to be your case covers, especially after you've lowered the front.

Couple the 160 with a 3/8" PFM off-set sproket and a 530 chain and you won't have any issues with rubbing the frame.

I'm running the Katman inspired Bandit swingarm conversion and could run a 180 easily but knew I didn't want to start hacking at my frame.

My comments are really not intended for you but others that may follow.
            Good luck with completing your build, I know you can make it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by RJ View Post
              I have an '82 1100E with a GSXR front end and rear wheel. It wasn't all that hard to do.
              I used a '92 750 wheel. It is 5.5" wide with a 180 series tire on it. You will need to swap to a 530 chain to make it work. Swap the GS sprocket/hub onto the new wheel. The wheel will now fit where the old one did using the GS spacers in the same configuration.
              You will need to shim out the front sprocket to line it up with the rear. Some guys on this site advocate using and offset sprocket. I found that by using large hardware store washers I was able to shim out the sprocket to the right spot and still have full contact with the splines on the countershaft.
              Works great.
              There are probably other ways to go about doing this swap, this was my approach and it works well. Good luck, it's worth the effort.
              80GS1000, I dont know the answer to your question but sure want to find out! Check out even a quote from RJ, he used a some large washer to shim out a standard 530 sprocket which I cant imagine was much but was able to line the chain and sprocket up. I too am using my stock GS sprocket/hub on the GSXR 1100 wheel. I wonder if this is why it works?

Isleoman, thanks for the info! I really like the look of the 180 so I am determine to find a way to make it work. Question, If a 3/8 offset works for a 160 tire, shouldnt a 1/2 offset work for a 180? Right now with the 5/8 offset, I have lots of clearance from the tire but minimal from the frame which make me think that a 1/2 might work!
              Last edited by Guest; 09-21-2008, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Hi guys ive just read through this entire thread & have noticed a couple of things, i suppose they may have been covered in another thread but here goes anyway .......
                theres no mention of checking wheel alignment, i just wondered if its correct as ive seen people align the sprockets & then find out the arm has a different ofset so the wheels are out, maybe a daft thing to do but it happens.......
                a 6" busa rim is too wide for most 180 tyres it will be pulled out of shape & can cause clearance problems, a 180 is designed for a 5.5" rim, 6" rims need a 190 or 200, i know thers very little diference in actual measured size when fitted but the carcass is not the same

I've fitted numerous 5.5 rims with 180 tyres to various gs's & gsx sometimes using the stock arm, a modded stock arm or various gsxr & bandit arms & never yet have i had to cut the frame to attain chain clearance, mine have always lined up with a small ofsett to the front sprocket & a skim of the sprocket carrier so i'd guess these problems stem from using a 6" rim

Comment

Tone when you say small offset to the front sprocket , how small?? You are the 3rd guy that have indicated that they were able to do the GSXR wheel conversion with only a little offset so I belive it is possible, though others have indicated that they needed to go with a 5/8. Humm, I wonder why the discrepancies in installation? Please let us know so I can give it a try!
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-31-2008, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nh1320 View Post
                    A 6" Hyabusa wheel will fit with a 190 and a 530 chain. I am running a Shinko drag tire and the "stock" rear shocks with a 5/8" offset front sprocket kit, it is tight but works.
                    :-D Justin
                    Here is another quote that I found!

Comment

[quote=katman;755756]No, the 90's wheels are 6mm narrower and fit perfectly. IN fact, the early 90's wheels can use the gs sprocket carrier. If you use the gs sprocket carrier though you have to swap out the carrier spacer too as it is a couple mm shorter. quote]

Maybe Katmans quote explains why it works.

Comment

Hi kichigai

I guess some of the differance is in the wheel hubs the latest blade type wheels (with the larger spindle) the straight spoke bandit type wheels & the curved spoke slingshot wheels all have a different hub & the sprocket carriers vary in depth too, A standard 630 chain is not always any bigger in width than a heavy duty 530

as a point of note the 4.5 curved spoke slingshot wheels are designed for a 170 max size tyre, squeezing a 180 over it is not a good idea

The last one i did was a gsx1100et i used a bandit arm a gsxr 5.5 wheel, with bridgestone 180 tyre the gsx sprocket carrier & a 630 chain the front sprocket was spaced out as far as poss on the splines & a new locking nut slimmed down from the back this bought the chain dead centre of the gap between the frame & tyre viewed from tha back, a few mm was removed from the sprocket carrier & the gap between the chain & tyre / chain & frame is exactly equal

sorry i cant be more specific on sizes but this one was done for someone else & it was around 8 months ago, i must point out that all mods i do like this are done on a jig & i'm very particular about alignment etc... i'm not saying this to disrespect anyone but i guess some peoples bikes & chain runs could be a couple of mm out, that not much of a problem as there is slight room for error

Comment

Alright, so the difference in required offset appears to be due to the rear wheel that you're using. The 90s 5.5x17" Gixxer wheels appear to require less offset than the 2000 era 5.5x17" wheels.

I used the stock GSXR 750 wheel spacers along with the 05 GSXR 750 5.5x17" on mine so I know the wheel alignment is good within the swingarm, also used the string method for checking front and rear wheel alignment. Chain alignment is straight as checked with a straightedge pressed against the inside edges of the front and rear sprockets.
                          Last edited by Guest; 01-31-2008, 01:39 PM.

Comment

sounds good to me 80gs :-D

Heres an example of how things sometimes work out ..... i have a 86 1135 efe frame fitted with a 1127 oil cooled engine & i did have a poorly fitted slingshot swingarm wheel etc in there, the arm was fitted central & the front sprocket spaced out a few mm & i cant see anything else that was done by the po but the chain run was spot on, the rest was crap but the chain was right

I'm now fitting a gsxr600 k6 swingarm with a late 90's wp wheel :-D the chain run is so far out of whack i'd have to remake the frame on the left side to fit it with another random borrowed (poss srad) wheel & an unknown sprocket carrier out of the big box of usefull stuff i'm 11 mm out & theres clearance to get it all in & working

i suppose the moral is give it a go you never know till ya try

Comment

Boy it sure is nice to have such knowlegable guys like you fellas here on this forum. I am going to do some meaurement checking on my bike and see what might work for my setup. As soon as I have some details, I will post up to share with everyone so other can apply it to their future projects. Thanks Kichigai.:-D

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
                                sounds good to me 80gs :-D

Heres an example of how things sometimes work out ..... i have a 86 1135 efe frame fitted with a 1127 oil cooled engine & i did have a poorly fitted slingshot swingarm wheel etc in there, the arm was fitted central & the front sprocket spaced out a few mm & i cant see anything else that was done by the po but the chain run was spot on, the rest was crap but the chain was right

I'm now fitting a gsxr600 k6 swingarm with a late 90's wp wheel :-D the chain run is so far out of whack i'd have to remake the frame on the left side to fit it with another random borrowed (poss srad) wheel & an unknown sprocket carrier out of the big box of usefull stuff i'm 11 mm out & theres clearance to get it all in & working

i suppose the moral is give it a go you never know till ya try
                                Can you skim the sprocket carrier on that setup?

You have a mate with a K6 600/750 rear wheel and sprocket carrier laying about?

Comment

Working...
                                X