Offset Front Sprocket Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
    Can you skim the sprocket carrier on that setup?

You have a mate with a K6 600/750 rear wheel and sprocket carrier laying about?
    yeah ive had these carriers skimmed down before, a few mm of the face where the sprocket fits is fine I'm not actually sure what this one is off so will be checking it out carefully to see how much i can get away with & keep the strength, anything else will me made up on the front sprocket

yep ive got a mate with srad stuff kicking around but were not sure which model, he's got to be free with lending it to me as its me who will be fitting it to his gs1000 in the end :-D

its my swingarm thats definately k6 600 btw, the front end is k4 750 i think so if anyone needs measurements shout up :-D

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
      yeah ive had these carriers skimmed down before, a few mm of the face where the sprocket fits is fine I'm not actually sure what this one is off so will be checking it out carefully to see how much i can get away with & keep the strength, anything else will me made up on the front sprocket

yep ive got a mate with srad stuff kicking around but were not sure which model, he's got to be free with lending it to me as its me who will be fitting it to his gs1000 in the end :-D

its my swingarm thats definately k6 600 btw, the front end is k4 750 i think so if anyone needs measurements shout up :-D
      Reason I ask is because getting wheel and chain alignment right will probably be easier using the K6 600/750 sprocket carrier, spacers and rear wheel if using that K6 swinger.

Comment

i had thought that myself but as i'm not well off & k6 stuff goes at a premium over here i'm stuck with using my brain good looks & charm :-D

wheel alignment is not a problem with any of the wheels its only the chain that is causing a bit of a headache but i'll get there thanks for the suggestion though :-D

Comment

Ok I am still need of some tech help here!

As you can see below I have the PMFR 5/8 offset sprocket installed on my bike but the clearance to the frame side is really close!

Here is the view of the top chain where it goes through the frame.

Here is a picture of the lower chain where it goes through the frame. Unfortunately I can not grind down the frame down anymore because it is were the shifter pivot is welded to the frame. I got it to clear but I think I only have about 1 mm clearance if even that much!

Comment

Here is a better picture of the lower chain!

As you can see, the chain comes close to the center stand too!

As you can see here, I have more clearance on the tire side!

My question is: Cant I just use a sprocket with less offset like a 13mm or 1/2" instead of a 5/8" to bring
            the chain a bit closer to the tire and further away from the frame?

I originally got the PMFR offset sprocket thinking if I decide to go with a suppport kit, I could do it at a later time but they dont make a 1/2" 530 sprocket in a 17 tooth.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Theres a few options as i see it .....

scollop the frame & offending parts out & brace etc to allow clearance on the frame side
              Depending on the front sprockets construction you may be able to remove a bit of material from the back to reduce the ofset slightly
              If theres a spacer behind the sprocket you may be able to loose a little from there as well

a smaller ofset on the front sprocket & removing a bit from the rear carrier could work as there seems plenty of room tyre side of the chain although its difficult to tell from your pics

As a footnote its always been my way to get the chain central in the space betweeen frame & tyre by means of both ofset front sprockets & reducing the width of the rear carrier

Hope that little lot helps mate :-D

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post

As a footnote its always been my way to get the chain central in the space betweeen frame & tyre by means of both ofset front sprockets & reducing the width of the rear carrier
                Bingo! Thats exactly my thought too!
                Personally I rather not scalop the frame especially with the shifter pivot post being in one of the problem spots but the changing the sprocket is do-able. I think I might as well bite the bullet and just get the 13mm or 1/2 sprocket which is the next size down to find out for sure if it works. If it works, all is good, and if not, I can at least post this up too for future reference.

Comment

Ok I placed an order for my 13mm offset sprocket thru SprocketCenter.com today.

The price was around $53.00 plus tax and shipping. I think the total was around $64.00 total which was not bad. I was told that they had it in stock and would have it delivered to me by this friday. I cant wait to give it a try! Hope it works!

Comment

On EVERY GS frame I have put a 5/8 offset on I have had to "relieve" the frame where the chain would hit it. It is just the way it is with the 5/8 offset. Ray.

Comment

Also a non O-ring chain helps too.
                      1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                      1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                      1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                      1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                      01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Thanks guys for the tips!

I did some searching on the forum and found guys that have used a 5/8 or a 3/8 offset but never a 1/2 (13mm equivelant). Thought what the heck, and wanted to be the first to give it a try! I guess we'll know soon enough if it will work. As soon as I get the new sprocket mounted, will post up with my findings.

Comment

Ok for those considering installing a offset sprocket to clear a 180 tire using GSXR rims that are 5.5 inches wide, I found a sprocket that seems to work well for this set up.

As my second attempt, I tried a 17 tooth AFAM 13MM offset sprocket for a 530 chain. All I can say is that the fit was perfect!

I no longer has the chain rubbing the frame problem like when I tried using the 5/8 offset sprocket. The difference was only 3mm between the two sprocket. I now have aproximately 2-3mm gap between the frame and the chain and the same 2-3mm gap between the chain and the tire.

The chain appears to be straight from the front to rear sprocket and it is very smooth sounding when I spin the rear tire.

The new 13mm offset sprocket is on the left, and the 5/8 offset sprocket is on the right.

Comment

Comment

Here is a picture of the 13mm sprocket installed.

Comment

I hope this information comes in handy to those wanting to attempt this wheel upgrade on your bike.
                                Last edited by Guest; 02-26-2008, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X