No announcement yet.

Southern Indiana: IN Route 66 - WOW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was trhinking the same thing, this is Indiana 66 and a very sweet road ,not U.S. 66. We hit IN 66 on the way To and From Bedford and rode it again Friday for good measure at the BC Rally this year!
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by gerald View Post
      hey i hate when people do this cause i hate when it's done to me but route 66 begins in chicago not indiana.
      Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      indiana state highway 66 isn't u.s. Route 66. But it's definitely another great ride. :-d

ten characters
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        I missed this...Damn..BUT, Jim and Dale and I did find a nice little road on the way back from BC this year. IND 250. FUN!! some elevation change, quite a few "kiss your butts" thru that section, and then lots of well over the legal limit sweepers to blast.

May be a bit forward of me, But I have plans to go back to that area before the end of THIS season. I'd like to put together a day trip out of it, maybe, and some how combine these two routes...anyone game??

Just say the word, Josh. I'll be happy to show you roads that will pucker you, sucker you, and tucker you out.

We can only hit a fraction of the goodies at the Brown County rally, and there are tons of really fun county roads that are too hard to put on the maps.
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Any thoughts on the location of the BCR next year? Bedford or are we going to try a little further south? Further south and new roads wouldn't hurt my feelings. Of course next year my bike will be in tip top shape, and ready for fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald View Post
            Hey I hate when people do this cause I hate when it's done to me but Route 66 begins in Chicago not Indiana.
            Evidently you missed what Brian said in post #9:
            Indiana State Highway 66 isn't U.S. Route 66. But it's definitely another great ride. :-D
            US66 and IN66 are definitely NOT the same road.

Each has its appeal, but they are not the same road

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

We can only hit a fraction of the goodies at the Brown County rally, and there are tons of really fun county roads that are too hard to put on the maps.
              Yes, and if you wait until the fall some of them might not even be under water.
              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
              80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Just say the word, Josh. I'll be happy to show you roads that will pucker you, sucker you, and tucker you out.

Puckering is good, and occasionally i get suckered, but fortunately not often by a road....And as far as tuckering out?? I have spent a few days wandering WV and Va roads, (VA 16 is NOTHING but kiss your butt turns...my ES never saw anything above 2nd gear...7-9K, but still, second gear...LOL) Thats the stuff I LIVE for, i wont tucker too easily

Comment

If I may, I'd like a piece of that action, when the time comes.
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Yeah...let me know if you guys do this...I'd be willing to head down too!
                    sigpic

Comment

62/66 Trip Report 9-12-09

Brian and I made a trip to the "Southern Indiana Loop" yesterday. We had a 442 mile day and the roads and views were spectacular. 62 & 66 are both excellent roads particularly 66 which offered all kinds of curves, a switchback, and virtually no traffic. Almost all of the corners were gravel free and other than an occasional town you are pretty much on your own. We started early from Brians and slabbed it to Franklin and turned south on 135 thru Trafalgar and stopped for breakfast at the Gatesville buffet. From there we took the country roads south from Gatesville to 46 and picked up 135 south. We rode past Story and continued south to Salem with a county road detour Brian knew about west of Salem. The two county roads we took had excellent blacktop, many curves, many blind hills, and lots of opportunities to catch air if you were so inclined. We got back on 135 and continued south to Corydon where we picked up 62 west. We stopped at the Overlook Restaurant for a photo op and continued to 66. We took 66 towards Tell City and went across the river to Cannelton for another photo op. We then came back across the river and started back north on 237 to 37 north to 145 north. 145 north is also an excellent road and we took it past Possum Junction, Patoka Lake, and ended up in French Lick. From there we took the 150, 450, 58, & 446 route back to Bloomington. We capped our already excellent day with clean, no car run on 45 to Bean Blossom and 135. We took 135 back north to 44 west for our last set of twisties before it started to get dark on us and we got on 37 north for the last 30 miles back to Indy. All in all one of my best days ever riding with a pinch of the Dragon, a nice bit of Galena sweepers, and a super heavy dose of Brown County. Here are a couple of photos of our day.

A couple of fine looking motorcycles

The little mill we stopped at west of Salem on the county roads

View of the Ohio river at the Overlook Restaurant

Ohio river bridge at Cannelton, we unfortunately did not have the Hillbilly Whisperer with us to translate so we got back to Indiana fast.

82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                      81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                      83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                      06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                      AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Awesome All the makings of a great day

Maybe next time.....

-greg
                        Loud pipes saves squirrel lives.....

Comment

To say I am Green with envy doesn't begin to cover how I feel!
                          sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                          2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I would've liked to join you gentlemen. I was dirt track racing at The World 100 in Ohio this weekend.

Glad you guys had a great day !!!!
                            Larry D
                            1980 GS450S
                            1981 GS450S
                            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

When you have a perfect weather day like this, you just have to take advantage of it. It was a spur-of-the-moment trip that worked out perfectly.

Sorry we didn't stop for more photos. No, wait: I'm not sorry. We had to keep moving to stuff everything into one day.

The last 12 miles of twisties on 44 into Martinville were heading west into the setting sun -- we pretty much used up every second of available daylight, and it was full dark by the time we gassed up and made the 20 miles to the outskirts of Indy.

I do have some ideas for a GS camping trip next spring...

Or perhaps something more civilized...

One of the reasons we moved the Brown County rally to Bedford was specifically so we could include these magnificent roads south of Interstate 64.
                              Eat more venison.

Comment

Great one day ride!

You had quite a ride!
                                Tim-(twr1776) and I rode on Labor day weekend through Berrien Co. Michigan, and I got nabbed on the edge of a small town for swinging around a slow poke tourist, (crossed a double yellow). Later and far away we were riding down the Red Arrow Hwy, posted 55 mph doing 60-65. We passed a Trooper on a feeder rd. so he stalked us for a few miles. I slowed down to 55 and Tim closed up to me, I'm not sure he saw the trooper stalking behind.
                                All that just to ask: How fast was your pace, and did you see any troopers around?
                                Bill
                                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                                X