Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No special tool required to remove valve shims!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No special tool required to remove valve shims!

Here is some information on how to make up your own special tool for about 10 cents, to much quicker and easier remove and replace the valve shims on your GS than the special tool. I suggest you use it in conjunction with BassCliff's excellent valve adjustment guide on his website and also use Steve's valve shim calculator. You will have to email Steve to obtain a copy.
    Steve if you are watching, I used your calculator for the first time today and it is a very handy tool, it works well on Openoffice and Excel.
    Download the guide from: http://www.mediafire.com/?3ptmrhwxzvm
    Last edited by Guest; 01-22-2008, 03:57 AM. Reason: Additional note added

I don't understand why no one ever thanks you for these. They're great write ups. Thank you again. You save me alot of money from not having to buy these specialty tools

Comment

Yeah i always look at these, and would thank you for the possibly lot of dollars you save me too, but for some reason my computer doesnt like that webhost and wont let me download them...weird...but thanks anyway!! LOL

Comment

Well, that was sure... creative. :shock:

It works, it's cheap, and won't hurt anything, but I sure don't see where it's faster or easier than using the correct tool.

On this end of the planet, the tool is only about $20 delivered to my door in about two days. http://z1enterprises.com

But maybe the right tool costs a lot more in your part of the world, or isn't easily available. Hats off -- propping the valves open with folded zip ties is pure demented genius!
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks for the thanks!
          Cafe, have you tried copying the link to your browser as mediafire is supposed to be a no hassle service. I use windows and Kubuntu linux with Firefox.

Comment

Bravo, very creative to say the least.
            1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
            Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

I have the tool and I will gladly loan it to GSR members who need it. I just ask they send me a check to hold as a deposit.

~Adam

Comment

How do you open the file? I tried everything including copying the link to my browser, and nothing.

Greg o

Comment

Personally, I have the tool. Its garbage. I find the method i was taught by another GSR much more effective, but a bit on the dangerous side (Only in the sense that you *could* screw up your timing if you arent paying attention) The tool simply got more in the way than anything else. And YES i was using it properly. Also, on the inside cylinders, its VERY frustrating, as it keeps sliping off the tappet. I think i did more scuffing to my cam caps than anything. Thats not to say others havent found success. And that the particular tool that I bought isnt garbage itself. It very well may be.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg O. View Post
                    How do you open the file? I tried everything including copying the link to my browser, and nothing.

Greg o
                    Its a small PDF file of about 700k with pictures. It should open with any PDF reader.
                    If you have problems downloading maybe you could ask BassCliff or someone else to put it on their websites and try to download from there. I can promise you that the method really works, as the pictures were taken when I was doing a full valve shim job a few weeks back without any skinned knuckles or anything!

Comment

Again and again, the best tool for this is a rear spring adjuster tool. It's a perfect fit, and you're bound to have one from an old bike toolkit.
                      Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

I got the file to open. Thanks.

Like Red Green always says, "Any tool can be the right tool."

Great idea. I need to check my valves this winter, and will give this method a try if I have to remove any shims.

Greg O

Comment

I'm definately still learning.. Why on earth are you people doing this? am I missing something again? why are you removing valve shims?? or is this only for some engines?

Comment

Originally posted by BentRod View Post
                            I'm definately still learning.. Why on earth are you people doing this? am I missing something again? why are you removing valve shims?? or is this only for some engines?
                            two valve engines, you need to swap shims to adjust valve clearances.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have updated the hint with a footnote, thanks to Steve who pointed out the possibility of carbon particles lodging under the valve seat and thus maybe affecting a reading. Please update any copies you may have.

Comment

Working...
                              X