$77.00 Rearsets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$77.00 Rearsets

I've noticed many threads by folks wanting (needing?) cheap rearsets for a GS. Frankly, I wanted 'em too. Mine didn't cost much, and the only special tools used were a reciprocating saw, (you could use a hacksaw)
    and a drill press. (you could use a hand drill)

Many other GSR members have made their own brackets so they could use late model GSXR parts. So, I'm not breaking any new ground here. Other folks have used milled aluminum, or welded brackets to the frame. That's all well and good, but what about the rest of us with a limited amount of tools?

First off, I wanted this to be reversible. I've done a lot of mods to my 78...But all the stock parts could be replaced in a weekend. (yes, I've kept them all, no their not for sale) Next, I wanted to be able to get everything at the local hardware store. No trick parts. Here's what I came up with:
    1. $50.00 for a complete (ugly, and or bent) set of 1991 GSXR1100 pegs, brackets, shifter, master cylinder, etc. Rear caliper and hanger came with it as well. Quite a deal. (ebay)
    2. $10.00 for piece of heavy low-tech 1/4 steel plate from Lowe's.
    3. $17.00 for hardware, drill bit, etc. I used regular metric nuts and washers, but I do plan on using nylon locknuts, and some blue LocTite.
    4. Hayabusa shifter linkage I had laying around the GarageMahal.
    I think $77.00 is about as cheap as you can go. (unless you get 'em free)
    They end up about 5" back, and around 1 1/2" up.
    Nothing on the frame was modified. The stock brake hoses, and switch wiring were not modified either.
    The GSXR master uses a 13mm piston, the stock master cylinder is 14mm, but the GS lever is longer, so it works just fine with the stock caliper.

The stock peg set up and master would bolt right back on in about an hour.

These are the plates after the drill press. They are 4" x 4"

I used the swingarm bolt as the center for all the measurements.

They are not clean, or pretty, nor are they finished, but they are on there and they work fine...
    The whole mess still has to come back apart to be cleaned, greased and the brackets cut, but you get the idea.

If any of you guys have done something like this, please post it! Many of the folks on this site would love rearsets, but simply cant justify the price. Lets help 'em out.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-30-2007, 12:00 AM.

I bought a pair of late 90's Bandit pegs and did basically the same thing. My plates are cut at an angle to follow the frame because my rearset is placed further back. Steel Plate (free) & cost of both rearsets ($90 for me)

Comment

Originally posted by dardoonk View Post
      I bought a pair of late 90's Bandit pegs and did basically the same thing.
      Show us some pics! :-D

Comment

Yeah Kurt, fix it! 'Tween yours and Jeffs I'll perhaps get mine figured out! Both good jobs!

Comment

Sorry, I did put images in last night, but picasa pictures don't seem to link right.

Comment

What year bandit are those off of? And you used the Bandit MC and linkage or is that custom too? That bracket (and Jeff's too) looks like something even *I* could actually make, so i may be giving this a shot!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              Something doesn't look right on the brake side, so I can't say for sure. It looks a lot different when looking at an entire GSF400.

I am pretty sure mine are off a '99 1200 Bandit. The spline on the shifter is the same, so there is no change there. The Master Cyl is on the rearset, so I abandoned the stock GS components and relocated the reservoir next to the battery.

Comment

Something doesn't look right on the brake side, so I can't say for sure. It looks a lot different when looking at an entire GSF400.

I am pretty sure mine are off a '99 1200 Bandit. The spline on the shifter is the same, so there is no change there. The Master Cyl is on the rearset, so I abandoned the stock GS components and relocated the reservoir next to the battery.
                Yeah that seems to be the way to go, just get rid of the stock MC completely to avoid fussing with that. No bandit ones on evilbay at the moment, but i did find some zixxer ones...what you think bout these?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  Yeah that seems to be the way to go, just get rid of the stock MC completely to avoid fussing with that. No bandit ones on evilbay at the moment, but i did find some zixxer ones...what you think bout these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05...spagenameZWDVW
                  Looks like it'd probaby work. Maybe have to change the gear shift link to one that has the older (larger) splines.

Comment

Looks like it'd probaby work. Maybe have to change the gear shift link to one that has the older (larger) splines.
                    Thanks man. I suppose i could pick up a link off of a bandit set from BB or Babbitts or something too..

Comment

I was looking at picking up a set of 'Busa sets before. They looked like a pretty easy mod. Maybe someone has done this?

Comment

I was lookin at those too, but the ones ive found are kinda pricey. Didnt look like it would be much more of a difficult mod however.

Comment

Sorry, I did put images in last night, but picasa pictures don't seem to link right.
                          Very nice! Bike looks great too. :-D

I was looking at picking up a set of 'Busa sets before. They looked like a pretty easy mod. Maybe someone has done this?
                          I have a shifter side 'Busa rearset. I was looking the other side when I found the GSXR pieces.

It didn't look like it would be hard to make it fit.

Comment

You can use most of the Kawasaki ones also as there splines have the same cut ( well at least the ninjas) LeeGS550 is working on that at this time.
                            You will find Ninja stuff on flea bay is usually cheaper.
                            just my 2 cents.
                            Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
                            X