OK, now for the run-down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
    When PSYGUY says "you can take them all out", he doesn't mean at once as you will damage the camshaft lobes and buckets as you rotate the motor.
    thanks mate :-D
    it's so easy to forget pointing out some small detail that can cost you money in the end (there was a thread on here about this exact situation just the other day) [-o<
    GS850GT

Comment

Oh I totally forgot to tell everyone, I missed out on a totally cheap fairly good looking, but needed work 1986 GSX-R. I called the guy and he said it had just sold for like $250. I was bummed, that would have been a fun bike and with this forum probably a pretty easy fix.

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
        thanks mate :-D
        it's so easy to forget pointing out some small detail that can cost you money in the end (there was a thread on here about this exact situation just the other day) [-o<
        That's OK mate. I know that things can seem to sound right when you write it and read it over because you know what you mean. It's always good to have a third party read the instruction for you to see if ordinary people can understand it. When I write a Work Instruction for Transfield (the company I am employed by) I always give it to someone else in the office to read to see if they understand it. It takes away all the preconceived ideas that the writer may have. I know I am RAMBLING again. Anyway you've put forward some good ideas in the thread. Cheers.

Comment

psyguy,
          you definitely have put some good ideas on here. I enjoy everything you have written and you have helped me with my many problems.

Suzuki_Don,
          it is alsways a good idea to have someone read over our work. I need someone to follow me around and rad everything I write or type.

Thanks all,

Cory

Comment

I heard there would be no math today!

Originally posted by KRISTI'SGS550 View Post
            So if the .38mm doesn't fit all the way under and through the other side than I need to foresure go down one shim size? Do I have that correct? And that should make at least that one work and I will be off to the next one right?
            Hi Mr. KRISTI'SGS550,

The valve clearance spec (between the shim and cam lobe) on our bikes is between .03mm and .08mm. In inches that would be .0018 and .00315. Remember to keep your decimal points in the right places.

I recommend picking up a metric feeler gauge set at your local auto store. My gauge doesn't have a .03mm. But if the .04mm doesn't fit, it's time for a smaller shim.

Forgive me if I state the obvious.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
            Last edited by Guest; 02-28-2008, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KRISTI'SGS550 View Post
              Yeah I emailed steve for his awesome excell template. I didn't see him on tonight though so maybe he will send it to me tomorrow?
              Actually, I sent it to you this morning, and got a reply from you this evening, so evidently you got it.

Let me know if there is anything on there that needs clarification. 8-[

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve,
                I got it and it is awesome! Thank you so much!

Cory

Comment

Working...
                X