Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for sharing!

Mr. Billyboy,

I just wanted to say thanks for the nice pictorial. I know I'll be digging deep into my motor one day. Now I can do so with a little more confidence. I appreciate your efforts.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks Chef.

Cliff, Thanks for the clarification on the 850 engine.

So I was going to clean up the cylinders today. Is it fairly solvent proof? I was thinking of methanol or xylene to clean it up. (I don't have varsol).

Are there any oil passages I sould ensure get clean?

I want to paint the cylinders black. Any recommendations on the paint?

Also, what should I use to remove the carbon from the pistons and combustion chamber? Brass brush?

I'm not going to rebuild the head. The PO told me the top end was done just before he got it, and the ease of disassembly supports that.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        The curve is normal You should consider changing that one (rear) and the front one as a preventative measure while you that deep in the motor.

Put some rags or paper towels under those pistons to keep gunk out of the bottom end.

Looks good. How are your cylinders inside?
        The cylinders look good so far. I just had a quick look last night, but I'll get some pics. I think the rings are good too, given the fairly recent top end rebuild.

Comment

You got very lucky. that is the easiest base gasket I have ever seen. The 25 yr ones can be a real pain to get off, espescially if they haven't been leaking recently.
          Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Thanks. Yeah. I think I did ok. Could've been much worse.

The base gasket was a total disaster! Brittle, busted. It just came apart.
            I got the jugs cleaned up a bit. The cylinders look awesome! I can still see the cross hatch pattern. What looks like lines are just finger swipes. I gave them a coat of WD-40 to keep the rust away while it's off the bike.

I'm a little concerned about this doohickey. Is it supposed to just slide out? Could this have contributed to the oil leak?

Comment

The 'doohickey" is just a dowel pin, and yes it's supposed to just slide out. Wont contribute to the oil leak either.

Comment

:-DGreat. Thanks Robert!

Comment

If it had a recent rebuild, then you may not need the new cam chain guides either.

But, it would appear that the PO skimped on the base gasket, so check the guides

When I did mine, I repainted silver, and heated up the painted cylinder block up in the oven for an hour or so to cure it. If you do that, be sure and put the block in the oven upside down and let it cool down in the oven before you remove it.

That's to keep the cylinder liners in place. Get the highest temp paint you can find, and don't scrimp on the prep.

Yes, use a brass brush to clean the combustion chambers. Don't bother with the pistons, keeping the debris out of the rings and cases will be a lot of work. Most of it will burn off when you fire up the motor.

Clean it, paint it, and reassemble. No honing or rings required
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

What kind of prep? It'd sure be a pain to sand all those fins. Would a media blast be OK? Glass?

Another question on re-assemble:

The manual says to use ring compressor strps and some sort of positioning tool. Is that neccesary? What's the cheap way, hoseclamps?

Comment

Cleaning up the head.

Egg cartons are the bestest!:-D

Comment

you can reassemble the pistons-cylinders without the rings compressor. a little fiddly but enirely possible. make sure to oil them lightly.

i'd powdercoat the cylinders. gives a nicer finish than paint, imho
                        GS850GT

Comment

Thanks

I don't know If I could find a powder coater close by.

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                            maybe obvious to you, but news to me. thanks!
                            (so, i should shut up on the things that i don't really know about, shouldn't i? )
                            Mr. psyguy,

There is a sprocket under that little cover on top of the 850 cam chain. I didn't know it until I took off the valve cover the first time. Well, I guess I kind of knew by looking at the pictures in the manual. :-D

Not to worry. I'm still learning my bike too.

Great pictures Mr. Billyboy. Your past BOM deserves all this TLC.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                            Last edited by Guest; 02-22-2008, 09:00 PM.

Comment

What was that wrench on the cam for anyways?

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                                Mr. psyguy,

There is a sprocket under that little cover on top of the 850 cam chain. I didn't know it until I took off the valve cover the first time. Well, I guess I kind of knew by looking at the pictures in the manual. :-D

Not to worry. I'm still learning my bike too.
                                oh, i do know my 850 inside out, but since everyone says a 1000 is a bored-out 850, i kind of assumed that the other internals on the two bikes would be exactly the same - such as that "sprocket guide" on top of the camchain
                                ps. i still wonder why they would change that little bit on a 1000 model, but leave it unchanged on 850 :?
                                GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                                X