Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need To Clean Airbox While Carbs Are Off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need To Clean Airbox While Carbs Are Off?

While I have my carbs off, I got to thinking. Do I need to take my airbox off and clean it out while I'm doing this? I do have a new air filter but haven't installed it yet. I just didn't know what all else kind of crud may be in the box past the filter that might come right into my newly cleaned carbs. Vacuum it out through the air intake holes of the airbox? Take airbox completely off and wash out? Or don't worry about it? :-D

I would take a few minutes and a couple of bolts off and remove it for a thorough cleaning. You might find some strange stuff inside.

Comment

i just did this with mine. pay attention to the slot on top of the airbox where the breather hose enters....if your box is anything like mine, this slot (if you have one) will be filled with crud, gunk, and other things that might inhibit proper carb operation.
      1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

When I was cleaning my airbox in my Ford Ranger this last winter I found a handful of dog food in there. This taught me a valuable lesson, never park the truck in the garage.......j/j. Clean and check airboxes thoroughly.

Comment

Originally posted by KRISTI'SGS550 View Post
          When I was cleaning my airbox in my Ford Ranger this last winter I found a handful of dog food in there.
          Ooooh, I hate those meeses to pieces!

Most airboxes are lined with a nice thick layer of oily grunge and vintage dead bugs. Yeah, it's probably a good idea to clean all this out every few decades.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I figured Id get less crap if I reopened one instead of making a new one.

I have my airbox off, and It needs a good cleaning. Can I soak this bad boy in a bucket of water and simple green? I also saw "weatherstrip airbox" on bikecliffs site, is there a writeup on this anywhere? What kind of weatherstripping...

TIA for any responses.

Steve

Comment

Any automotive or hardware weatherstripping should do. And as far as the cleaning, I just did aircraft stripper and Simple Green before I repainted it (see my 81 GS550T in CO Sprgs thread in Projects).
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
              X