Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schematic and guide to fit relays

Hi,
    I have finally finished the schematic and a guide on how to fit relays for your coils, your horn and your lights, headlamp cut out and a 12v accessory/battery tender connection as these older bikes do have some problems with their electrics due to corroded connectors etc.
    There are a couple of threads where people are having trouble with the spark and are suspecting their coils or the lights are not as good as they used to be etc.
    I will add some more photos when I redo my bike later this year after the powder coating of the frame, but this is not on my immediate agenda.
    Hope this helps someone.

Have a look at this it may help, updated version 2009/10/15:http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=3...17b31bfbde8fc1
    Last edited by Guest; 10-15-2009, 05:50 PM. Reason: Added later version

OOOO you only need one relay for the headlight mod as a five prong relay will do the job.

I have the power for the headlight coming from the ignition switch relay and low beam is default. when the dimmer switch is set to high beam is triggers the relay and that makes the switch to high beam.

I also have a micro relay that cuts off the headlight when the starter button is pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy View Post
      OOOO you only need one relay for the headlight mod as a five prong relay will do the job.

I have the power for the headlight coming from the ignition switch relay and low beam is default. when the dimmer switch is set to high beam is triggers the relay and that makes the switch to high beam.

I also have a micro relay that cuts off the headlight when the starter button is pushed.
      You are right, one change over will easily do the job, the two relay issue was to allow a mod to have both beams on when on Hi. I must get that starter relay for the headlight worked in as well. Do you have any details on it? Any ideas where we can fit a large enough relay box when all such mods are done?
      I still even still have the voltage charging monitor lying here and not installed yet.
      Keep well and thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
        You are right, one change over will easily do the job, the two relay issue was to allow a mod to have both beams on when on Hi. I must get that starter relay for the headlight worked in as well. Do you have any details on it? Any ideas where we can fit a large enough relay box when all such mods are done?
        I still even still have the voltage charging monitor lying here and not installed yet.
        Keep well and thanks for the feedback.
        well I have the starter headlight over ride relay mounted in the headlight bucket.
        I have it cutting the ground for the headlight so it works even on high beam.
        instead of power I have the headlight ground run in the 30 terminal and out to groung via the 87A terminal. and spliced in a line to the wire coming from the starter button.

where to mount a relay panel or box realy depends on the bike as packaging varies pretty widely between models.

I have the horn and master power relay behind the left side panel next to the aftermarket fuse panel. and have the headlight relay under the tank and starter headlight interupter in the headlight bucket.

Comment

Focus,
          Thanks, I think I will add yours to my schematic. Then it is an all in one and anyone can just leave out the features they do not want, if you are OK with that.
          Thanks again

Comment

I like the way you think!

After I went to dual high-volume horns, and blew the main fuse when I was riding in traffic. I added a relay direct from battery positive (in-line fuse)and negative, and actuated it with the horn button switch. This is making me think hard about a lot of issues. The GSes are known for electrical gremlins, but there are good solutions, and make the bikes very reliable.
            1979 GS 1000

Comment

I am busy adding some further modification suggestions to the schematic with some (hopefully) improvements and will post the new version soon.

Comment

Applauding the effort

We all know that it takes a certain type of person to endure the challenges that are thrown in the path of anyone who endevoures to own a classic motorcycle. But for someone to go the extra yard to publish in detail the steps neccessary to overcome these obstacles is in itself saying something about the person. You are truly a twisted individual who will with no doudt require therapy in the future. Until that time, write on.

Comment

Originally posted by wayne cooper View Post
                  We all know that it takes a certain type of person to endure the challenges that are thrown in the path of anyone who endevoures to own a classic motorcycle. But for someone to go the extra yard to publish in detail the steps neccessary to overcome these obstacles is in itself saying something about the person. You are truly a twisted individual who will with no doudt require therapy in the future. Until that time, write on.
                  Uh... thanks :?. I think my wife may find this analysis quite interesting! I may do the update on the schematic this evening or tomorrow, just have to replace cambelt on my daughters Opel today.

Comment

Now c'mon MR MATCHLESS your letting your family get in the way of motorcycle pursuits. You know the penalty for that.
                    Cheers
                    Don

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                      Now c'mon MR MATCHLESS your letting your family get in the way of motorcycle pursuits. You know the penalty for that.
                      Cheers
                      Don
                      Don,
                      I think you know exactly that that is the only way to go! The Opel cambelt went off without a hitch, but I noticed the plugs were a bit lean. My daughter said she heard a soft whoosing sound when before braking thet goes away when she pushes the pedal and it was the brake servo with a leak allowing more air to be pulled into the manifold. Sounded very much like the GS's and their intake rubber issues!! Now need to find a servo, then I will update. The schematic is nearly up to date and I just need to tidy it up a bit. Watching Orange County Choppers on Discovery got me wondering when they did the Intel bike with the onboard computer.
                      Watch this space![-o<

Comment

I have just uploaded a later version of the guide. The link in the first post now goes to the latest version. As well as adding the headlight cutout as per focus-frenzy, I have also shown wiring to a 12v accessory jack. The written procedure still needs some editing, but will do that a bit later.
                        Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Comment

newer version

I have just once again updated the version. Some photos of the material required added, an error in the schematic fixed and a few more changes.
                          The first post has the latest link.
                          Hope it helps someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                            Hi,
                            I have finally finished the schematic and a guide on how to fit relays for your coils, your horn and your lights, headlamp cut out and a 12v accessory/battery tender connection as these older bikes do have some problems with their electrics due to corroded connectors etc.
                            There are a couple of threads where people are having trouble with the spark and are suspecting their coils or the lights are not as good as they used to be etc.
                            I will add some more photos when I redo my bike later this year after the powder coating of the frame, but this is not on my immediate agenda.
                            Hope this helps someone.

Have a look at this it may help, updated version 2008/03/26: http://www.mediafire.com/?cz9h9msz12j
                            LINK NOT WORKING

Comment

Thanks for that, I have relinked and it now seems OK from my side

Comment

Working...
                              X