No announcement yet.

GS Valve Shim Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PM sent! I hope this is still up and running!

Comment

Same, sent a PM this morning. Otherwise, I guess I can machine my shims down with a mill at work?
      1982 GS 450L aka Lil' Red
      1980 GS 1000G aka Big Red (Resto-mod WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by free99 View Post
        Same, sent a PM this morning. Otherwise, I guess I can machine my shims down with a mill at work?
        Good luck with that. Them shims are harder than a whores hart. You may be able to surface grind them, but I wouldn't bother doing that. You can't find shims at your local Suzuki shop? What size are you looking for? ...
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Ray uses some kind of surface grinder to bring the larger ones down in size... It makes sense that as all our bikes get older we all need thinner ones.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
            Good luck with that. Them shims are harder than a whores hart. You may be able to surface grind them, but I wouldn't bother doing that. You can't find shims at your local Suzuki shop? What size are you looking for? ...
            According to Steve's spreadsheet, 2.56, 2.63 & 2.74mm. No response from Ray, so I bit the bullet and ordered OEM for $16/ea; for while I can machine it with a good tungsten carbide end mill and then grind each shim, I don't have the equipment for proper case or through-hardening. So, there goes $50.
            Last edited by free99; 10-10-2019, 04:55 PM.
            1982 GS 450L aka Lil' Red
            1980 GS 1000G aka Big Red (Resto-mod WIP)

Comment

"According to [my] spreadsheet", you would never get numbers like that.

If you are using INCH feelers, please enter your values in the INCH rows, do not use the metric APPROXIMATIONS that are also printed on the feelers.

If you are using METRIC feelers, enter those values in the METRIC rows. Either way, you will never get numbers for shims that don't exist.

And, ... you don't need to spend that much money for shims if you are going to buy them. Z1 Enterprises carries shims for about $5 each.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve - where do I email you to get a copy of your spreadsheet? Bringing my 1980 GS850 GLT back to life. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Woo View Post
                  Steve - where do I email you to get a copy of your spreadsheet? Bringing my 1980 GS850 GLT back to life. Thanks
                  Click on his user name for his email address or he will scold you.
                  "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Hi, Allie - don't want to get scolded but can't seem to get to him on the message center. didn't see an alternative email. Thanks, though.

Comment

Hi, Allie - don't want to get scolded but can't seem to get to him on the message center. didn't see an alternative email. Thanks, though.
                      This gentleman may have the chart. Please try sending him a private message...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-rich82gs750tz
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I have Steve’s spreadsheet. He doesn’t post anymore. And I’ll assume he doesn’t mind me sharing it with those that need it. I never needed it because I have a 16 valve engine. Steve sent it to me anyway cause I’m kind of an excel geek. He schooled me on why I didn’t need it. Happy to forward it to any member that asks til Steve asks me not to.

I’m at camp for the week but cell service seems good so I should be able to reply if you give me your email address.

Brian, I know Steve is still around, went to the BC rally I believe. If you or Scott Baker Cowboyup talk to him sometime, maybe ask him if he minds having you post it on BikeCliffs Website permanently.
                        Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 07-10-2022, 05:12 PM.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it. Rich I'll send you a PM; however, no hurry. Do Camp. I just ordered my shim removal tool today, so won't even know what I have (need) until next weekend. Allie, thanks for passing my info along. BTW does anyone know if the shim club is still an ongoing affair? I'll have shim size questions soon. Thanks

Comment

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it. Rich I'll send you a PM; however, no hurry. Do Camp. I just ordered my shim removal tool today, so won't even know what I have (need) until next weekend. Allie, thanks for passing my info along. BTW does anyone know if the shim club is still an ongoing affair? I'll have shim size questions soon. Thanks
                            Apparently, the shim club hosted by some guy in Colorado has taken a different course. I sent him on more than one occasion, emails and PMs with no response. I think it is done.
                            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

OK - Alke. Thanks for the info. Z1 here I come.

Comment

Too bad the smallest size z1 carries is 220. I need smaller. Does this club still operate?
                                1982 Suzuki GS650G project in BRG
                                2004 Honda CRF250r
                                2010 HD FatBob in Black
                                2007 HD XL883L in Maroon - sold
                                2008 Kawasaki Versys 650 daily rider in Red - sold
                                2006 Triumph Bonneville America in Grey - sold

Comment

Working...
                                X