No announcement yet.

GS Valve Shim Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I check them as well, but don't worry too much about that "last-digit accuracy".

There is a reason that there is a relatively wide range for the clearance, that last digit doesn't really matter.
    As long as you are in the range.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by jdion81 View Post
      Ok, I'm a newb, what do the sizes with x at the end mean?
      I think of it as "x" is "extra"... just a little thicker than what it says
      1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
      1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
      1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
      Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

Hi, I am currently a "Hall of Shame" member of the shim club. The thing is, though I only used it once, I really appreciate this service, and would like to clear my name.

I used it when I was rebuilding my top end years ago, and then ended up moving to another city. In the process of the move, I unfortunately neglected to return the borrowed shims. I apologize profusely. At this point I have an assortment of shims which include many I have bought since this time. I do not know which of them, nor how many of them I had originally borrowed.

Is it possible I can send a check to cover the shims which I did not return, and is there any record of how many shims I originally recieved? If so, how much could I send per shim to cover the cost of them?

I would like to apologize again, I do appreciate this service, and the hard work it must take to maintain the service. I never intended to take advantage of it!

Sincerely, Rippledub

Comment

I would contact Ray.
          Good for you for following up.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks Steve, but, uh . . . please excuse my forum inexperience, but, who is Ray, and how do I contact him?

Comment

Go to post #1 in this thread and take a GOOD look.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

PM Sent. Thank you Ray.

Comment

Big thanks to Ray and Steve (along with everyone on this thread who have contributed valuable information) for the help in getting my valve adjustment journey started. My '81 GS850 is the first motorcycle I've ever owned, so I am learning all of these things as I go. This forum, and all of its contributing members are much appreciated!

Comment

Hi Ray,

Tried to PM you, but your message box is full.

Drew

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Pm has been sent!

Comment

Hey Ray, working on my '81 GS850G and need 2 shims, both 2.60mm.

I have some I am willing to contribute to the supply as at this point in life I cannot imagine I will be doing this ever again. I have actually mic'd these up as a few have no numbers and some are a few hundredths or so off. I will get them in baggies with the measurements for each.

ONE EACH OF: 2.36, 2.50, 2.53, 2.54, 2.65
                        THREE EACH OF 2.46, 2.65

Just to be safe, If you have a mic, I'd recheck as I just got this tool and never used one before but compared readings from several feeler gauges and was usually within .01mm from what the feeler was marked.

I've never used this service before so to be sure, I will send these to you at:
                        GS Shim Club c/o
                        Ray Luthye
                        1886 Meadow Vale Road
                        Longmont, Colorado 80504

Hoping you have two of the 2.60 size, please let me know and I'll give you my address.

I'll try to get the aboves out by Monday's pony express.

Thank you,

Douglas Howard

My supply is :
                        Last edited by suzukizone; 02-22-2019, 08:04 PM. Reason: mistyped a number
                        Rides ROADKILL-1981 GS850G, very slowly these days.

Comment

Douglas, i would also send Ray a p.m. to let him know your needs.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                            Douglas, i would also send Ray a p.m. to let him know your needs.
                            Yeah, figured that out after I posted this. Have now done that, thanks.

DH
                            Rides ROADKILL-1981 GS850G, very slowly these days.

Comment

is the shim club stil up and running?

Comment

As far as I know, it is, but send a message to the guy that runs it for details.

Go back to post #1, click on the username, then send him a PM.

sigpic
                                Family Portrait
                                Siblings and Spouses
                                Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                                X