GS Valve Shim Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
    I could be mistaken but I believe I read here somewhere that Rapid Ray was removed from the forum a few months ago. My apologies to Ray if I’ve got my facts wrong.
    Different Ray. Shim club Ray = Ghostgs1. Rapidray = banned dude.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by bitzz View Post
      Pretty sure they're case hardened, otherwise they'd shatter
      Steve (IIRC), posted a pic of a shattered one which seems to tally with them being through-hardened.
      Under normal conditions they're not seeing an impact, just a steep rise/fall in pressure.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Grimly, im no metal expert but if they were just case hardened wouldnt it stand to reason that given the cam lobes sweep across the face that the shim would start to take on a dished (think banana) shape over time???
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I usually measure my shims with a digital caliper, but if i measure using an outside micrometer i do find small differences in outside rim and the contact area with the lobes.
          Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
          Bikecliff's website
          The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            Grimly, im no metal expert but if they were just case hardened wouldnt it stand to reason that given the cam lobes sweep across the face that the shim would start to take on a dished (think banana) shape over time???
            If just case hardened that would be fairly disastrous at some point, when the case hardening wore through.
            I wonder if the aftermarket ones are fully hardened or case hardened. Just another thing to worry about, but next time I'm setting them I'll do like Rijko and perform some accurate measurements.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I would think they are fully hardened, to what hardness is a different question. Case hardening would just be a problem waiting to happen. I used to have one of those Rockwell Hardness testers. It was a glass tube, with it's own ball inside. You put the piece you wanted to test underneath and let the ball drop, when it bounced back up, where it ended up on the rebound was it's Rockwell Hardness Number. I know I still have it, but it's buried somewhere, I haven't had to use it in decades.

Comment

Working...
              X