Ignition Switch Locked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition Switch Locked

I have had this happen to both of my bikes (81 GS750EX and 83 GS1100ED) and it is a bit irritating because I now dont have matched sets of locks for either bike.

The problem is that I inadvertently turned the key to far and got it into the Park or Lock position and nothing I seem to do (pushing, pulling, twisting) the key will not turn the barrel from the locked position. The key will at least come out of teh switch but that is it.
    Two ignition switches are this way.

I now know it at least this happens to me. Any answers as to what it is or how to avoid or how to fix?

Any help appreciated.
    Posplayr

Grease helps, it also could be a sign of wear. Check to see how much play is in the switch.

These switches are pretty easy to remove, take it off and examine it for wear, dirt, bugs, helmets, etc.

Come to think of it, mine I have to push down to disengage it.....
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

It also helps to see if the forks are in a bind. Steering wheel in a car does the same thing.
      Wiggle the forks back and forth while trying to turn the key to see if that helps any.
      Last edited by Steve; 04-17-2008, 11:44 PM.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

FYI locks are off the bike

All of these locks are off the bike, had the the electric switch removed and have been sprayed profusely with WD 40. I dont get it????

The only indication i had was when I was testing out one of the bikes with the PO and I started to over rotate the key he grabbed my hand to stop me. I did not ask and he never said and everything was fine.

Suddenly after putting in the key to do someting like click over the starter or something Not being familiar I rotated the wrong way again. Key just falls into a location where it wont move.

My Blue GS750 bike did virtually the same thing. I had bee working for about a week and had just put the last few items on. I twisted the key the wrong direction and it locked up. Fortunately I had a new ignition key that was sitting in the mail box (i had ordered) and I swapped it out .

The lock smith wants $40 to fix it good as new but wont say if he can even fix / replace parts. If it is worn out it is probably worn out and that is it.

Posplayr

Comment

Grease helps,
          Down the key hole???

it also could be a sign of wear
          I have replace one but was wondering if it is salvageable or can I transfer the lock barrel to a new ignition switch and retain the matched key set?

I see there are three roll pins in the main body of the lock. Can these be removed?

Posplayr

Comment

Had the same thing happen on a GS1100 lock. I just kept trying and wiggling and putting the key in the other way around etc until it suddenly released.

Comment

Bin there

done that ; no joy .

I'll keep trying in the morrow.

Thanks

Posplayr

Comment

This happened to me the other day. On the theory that either the key or the tumblers were wearing, I tried holding the key against the other end of the slot as I turned it. Normally, well, usually, the tumbler springs tend to push the key to one end of the slot on mine. So I pushed it back. That got it. Anyway, that's one anecdote. Extrapolate from it what you will. HTH.

I wonder if a good locksmith can do anything to refresh these mechanisms. I'm getting my bike in shape with the idea of riding it for several more years, and this sloppy key issue will probably only get worse until I'm stranded somewhere.
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Dismantled my spare problem lock and can confirm that the problem lies in the grey plastic key tumbler section, not in the steering column locking lever/bar mechanism which looked to be in good shape and nicely overdesigned - includes 3 different springs.

Comment

solution finally found here

Comment

Working...
                    X