No announcement yet.

Clouds GS Restoration Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really love this board. Thank you Duane, it would be nice to see you again. And thank you Kilroy for offering the advice in your PM.
    2010 Honda VFR1200F
    1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
    Being Revisited
    1981 Honda CM400T
    http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Muffler woes...

Okay minor buzz kill.

I mounted the headers today with new Suzuki OEM manifold bolts (no hardware with the new pipe). The problem now is that the muffler does not want to slip onto the header. I don't feel a lip, and I even tried to file the header a bit. No dice (yet). And when I removed the exhaust from the box, the V&H logo was barely hanging on the muffler and the adhesive used to put it on was smeared all over the place. Sighs. What do they use to hold the logo on? A glue gun? I really want to fix that. And I guess I will have to try heating the muffler with a propane torch to get it to slide on. The bracket they supplied looks funny as well. A hole on one side and an open hole on the other? How do I properly mount that? And once it's on, don't I need a muffler clamp to keep it together?

Also one tire arrived from BikeBandit, the rear one is on backorder (surprise).
      2010 Honda VFR1200F
      Being Revisited
      1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

Originally posted by cloudbreakmd View Post
        Okay minor buzz kill.

I mounted the headers today with new Suzuki OEM manifold bolts (no hardware with the new pipe). The problem now is that the muffler does not want to slip onto the header. I don't feel a lip, and I even tried to file the header a bit. No dice (yet). And when I removed the exhaust from the box, the V&H logo was barely hanging on the muffler and the adhesive used to put it on was smeared all over the place. Sighs. What do they use to hold the logo on? A glue gun? I really want to fix that. And I guess I will have to try heating the muffler with a propane torch to get it to slide on. The bracket they supplied looks funny as well. A hole on one side and an open hole on the other? How do I properly mount that? And once it's on, don't I need a muffler clamp to keep it together?

Also one tire arrived from BikeBandit, the rear one is on backorder (surprise).
        My V&H had to be tweaked quite a bit before it would fit and no, there is no clamp holding the two halves together. There's so much friction that I can't separate the two anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewclaycomb View Post
          My V&H had to be tweaked quite a bit before it would fit and no, there is no clamp holding the two halves together. There's so much friction that I can't separate the two anymore.
          It was a ROYAL pain in the booty to get mine apart on my cafe project. They dont come apart easily. But that i suppose is a good thing, cos there are no gaskets there to seal it other than the metal to metal contact.

Comment

Cafe,
            Did you tap the muffler into place using a rubber mallet or did you heat the pipe up?
            2010 Honda VFR1200F
            Being Revisited
            1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

One i got it apart, it wasnt TOO hard to get it together. One thing I DID do what take it apart and put it together with the headers mounted on the bike. Dunno if you are doing that or not, but it made things alot easier. If you're trying to get it together, i would suggest taking a piece of wood that is large enough to cover the whole area of the end of the meg and using the a mallet on that. Even the rubber one is likely to bend the end of the pipe up. You may have better luck also if you remove the baffle, then try getting the meg on and putting the baffle back in. Just a thought. Oh i do remember, getting it off, i did some twisting back and forth, using the welded on rear mount as a lever. Made it move much faster.

Comment

Yes, I ordered more parts tonight... Hopefully this will be the last time. More hardware, a new headlight bucket (the old one was cracking from age), two side covers to match my NOS Silver/Black gas tank (minus the decals, oh well at least they are black), new cam cover trim and various other bits. This time I used http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/
                2010 Honda VFR1200F
                Being Revisited
                1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  One thing I DID do what take it apart and put it together with the headers mounted on the bike. Dunno if you are doing that or not, but it made things alot easier. If you're trying to get it together, i would suggest taking a piece of wood that is large enough to cover the whole area of the end of the meg and using the a mallet on that.
                  I mounted the headers already, and am now trying to slip the muffler on as you did. I also thought about doing the block of wood thing and using some grease to boot. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to destroy the muffler

Thanks bud.
                  2010 Honda VFR1200F
                  Being Revisited
                  1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

Your T spent some time on my wallpaper a couple of years ago. I've been waiting to see what you would do with it. Cheering you on.
                    Hondas
                    '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
                    Suzuki
                    '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
                    Kaw
                    '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by yasser View Post
                      Your T spent some time on my wallpaper a couple of years ago. I've been waiting to see what you would do with it. Cheering you on.

Thank you bud. I really want to make it look stock. The only problems I see with meeting that goal is the lack of the decals on the covers and the V&H pipe. I can live with that I suppose.
                      2010 Honda VFR1200F
                      Being Revisited
                      1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

If ya ever get out this way on her CBM, hit me up! Id love to see her in person!

As an aside, you ever have any electrical probs with your lil 440? I have one sitting here i road the crap out of last summer, and one day, after ridding for a while, i came back out to start her up and NOTHING. i have lights and power, but the starter button does jack squat. I am guessing its something between the start button and the starter, but then i tried to bump start it, and it acted like it wasnt getting spark....

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                          If ya ever get out this way on her CBM, hit me up! Id love to see her in person!

As an aside, you ever have any electrical probs with your lil 440? I have one sitting here i road the crap out of last summer, and one day, after ridding for a while, i came back out to start her up and NOTHING. i have lights and power, but the starter button does jack squat. I am guessing its something between the start button and the starter, but then i tried to bump start it, and it acted like it wasn't getting spark....
                          I'd be honored to show you the bike if I am ever up your way.
                          Could it be the starter solenoid or you mean the engine would spin but not spark? The only common failures I know of on the little KZ's is the ignition.

On another note, the other tire came in today. Next Friday will be a lot of assembling. The cams have to come back out and NOS cam bolts for the hold downs are going in, the stator is getting wired up as well as the regulator, and the new tank/petcock is going on the bike. Actually, I am very excited to see it run again.
                          2010 Honda VFR1200F
                          Being Revisited
                          1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

Well i dunno for sure. It just seemed to get no spark, push starting it wasnt happening, the starter button did nothing. Perhaps the ignitor box took a dump?

Comment

If the lights came on but the starter button did nothing... It may be the contact within the switch itself. They do have a tendency to corrode on these bike for some reason. If you had no lights or anything, it is the ignition switch plate itself. And if it did turn over, then yep, it is the igniter. Hope this helps.
                              2010 Honda VFR1200F
                              Being Revisited
                              1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

Okay so I wussed out and bought 4 new turn signals from PartsnMore as I posted earlier. Also my other tire came in Friday. Time to put it together. Pics to follow.
                                2010 Honda VFR1200F
                                Being Revisited
                                1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

Working...
                                X