Crating & Shipping a motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crating & Shipping a motor

Can anyone tell the best proceedure for building a crate and securing a motor for shipping? My first thought is building a crate by starting with a standard wooden pallett, but not sure how to secure the motor.

If anyone has any pics of one they've built, that would be a big help.

Thanks,
    Kurt

Just an idea

Bolt some wood struts (2x4) to the engine using the motor mount bolts (or elongated ones) and then use wood screws to fasten the 2x4's to the shipping crate. Screws go into the cross grain (from the side) not into the endgrain (much weaker).
    Posplayr

Comment

Also, go to Home Depot & buy 1 or 2 inexpensive RATCHETING tie downs & run them through the pallet & around the motor to strap the engine to the pallet. I have shipped SEVERAL this way & they have all arrived intact. Ray.

Comment

That works

Ray,
        I guess you have "been there done that" :-D
        Pos

Comment

When i picked up a shipped motor not too long ago, it was on a 3 by 4 palate, with a 2x4 frame built around it to keep it from rocking around. Seemed like it worked to me...save for the idiot forklift driver at one end of the dock who apparently smacked the cam end cover with the forks. Ahh well.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            When i picked up a shipped motor not too long ago, it was on a 3 by 4 palate, with a 2x4 frame built around it to keep it from rocking around. Seemed like it worked to me...save for the idiot forklift driver at one end of the dock who apparently smacked the cam end cover with the forks. Ahh well.

Where I work we have about 1000 employees and have "empowered" everyone to drive forklifts, from the top managers down to the secretary's. All you have to do is pass one 1/2 day course of fork lift training (which I call Fork U) and you get a little paper license. The joke here is "Hey Jim you got training today? No, Fork U. Oh Yea, well Fork U too. "

Consequently every valuable piece of equipment from air conditioners to generators to shipping containers have been speared and ruined. Hope this management philosophy doesn't catch on at the local hospitals with respect to brain surgery.

When I started here 30 something years ago we had low paid dedicated lift drivers who were typically three sheets to the wind by 11 am. They never ruined anything. Guess that's progress.

Comment

That 850 motor that got shipped to South America was in a 2x4 and plywood box. IIRC, threaded rod through the motor mounts and box held things in place. The plywood walls to he box protected the engine.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
              X