EZ Clutch overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EZ Clutch overhaul

Doing an oil change and after reading some threads on clutch slip I decided to change my clutch springs due to some slippage. With the clutch cover off its not hard to inspect the plates and fibers. I have been running (12k miles) a Barnett Clutch with stock springs. I discovered a couple fibers were spun down to bare metal and Splines in the Clutch basket were checked. :shock: Soooo, I junked the Barnett and got new FBG (Fast by Gast) plates and fibers, filed out the Checked basket splines and put it back together.

Seems to work fine but I would like to have the clutch gurus look at the pics and tell me if they see any red flags.

Thanks...

Last edited by bonanzadave; 05-22-2008, 07:25 PM.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

i see one thing wrong. that work area is way too clean.

Comment

Did you get the APE clutch hub nut?
      FBG is as good as stock according to the dragbike guys on this site. I went with stock.
      If you're stock they you should be fine. Any engine mods might warrant a stronger clutch spring. I started out with three stock and three Barnett HD but had to go with all Barnett.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        Did you get the APE clutch hub nut?
        I got the Nut today but put it all back together last night. Do you think I really need it ? I used an impact to crank the stock nut back on and bent over the tab. Seems to be working. What do you think ?

The Basket with the check marks filed off the splines

Soaking the fiber plates in oil

The Barnett fiber that went bye bye. Were my springs not strong enough ?
        Last edited by bonanzadave; 05-22-2008, 10:44 PM.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Sliding the basket back on the needle bearing

The two inner most rings

Oil and a cheap filter. Came with the wrong oring.
          Last edited by bonanzadave; 05-22-2008, 10:48 PM.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Cranking down the hub nut. APE nut recommended ($25). I used the stock nut.

Installing the springs. I used 6 new springs from Bikebandit

Putting the cover back on with a new gasket. I tried to clean the sight glass.
            Last edited by bonanzadave; 05-22-2008, 10:51 PM.
            82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Oh man! What happened to your photobucket link? I am about ready to do mine and those pics were helpful.

Comment

oops...guess I should hit my refresh button before I post. Thanks for the pics bonanza!
                Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2008, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gadang View Post
                  Oh man! What happened to your photobucket link? I am about ready to do mine and those pics were helpful.
                  I took it down cause it was my whole photobucket. Like 350 pics !! Incriminating stuff (just Kidding). If you want I can send you a Kodak slide show of the whole thing. PM me your email.....

Last edited by bonanzadave; 05-31-2008, 11:49 PM.
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Good stuff!
                    Make sure the hub mates with the oil pump.
                    I've never seen a fiber wasted like that! I wonder where it all went? :shock:
                    Last edited by chef1366; 05-23-2008, 12:51 AM.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Good job Dave, now get ANOTHER cover gasket & install the APE nut! Ray.

Comment

All clutch fibers go to heaven.

That's what they make halos out of-- hosed clutches.

Comment

Hey Dave hows your clutch job holding up ? I have a 83 1100e with the same problem.i though i might have to buy a new clutch basket or did filing the splines work? A new basket is 271.00!

Comment

Originally posted by red rocket View Post
                            Hey Dave hows your clutch job holding up ? I have a 83 1100e with the same problem.i though i might have to buy a new clutch basket or did filing the splines work? A new basket is 271.00!
                            no need to buy new..
                            i have several..maybe over 10 and some are very low use/mileage..
                            welcome and P/M me if i can be of any assistance for parts or information.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                              no need to buy new..
                              i have several..maybe over 10 and some are very low use/mileage..
                              welcome and P/M me if i can be of any assistance for parts or information.
                              Ten good ones? I didn't know Zook made ten good ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X