Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Schweisshund View Post
    aren't they used for the exhaust pipes?

I just ordered exhaust gaskets and they were round thick copper crush O-ringy type things.
    There were just 4 in the full gasket set, and their diameter is slightly larger than the header bolts. The actual exhaust gaskets that I received are quite large and about the diameter of the header pipe.
    These was a thread and pictures of a washer with rubber on one side being fitted to the outer 4 studs right in the gasket stud hole, between the head and the cylinder, but those stud holes seemed a bit larger than the others and the gasket was manufactured differently and not made by Athena.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
      There were just 4 in the full gasket set, and their diameter is slightly larger than the header bolts. The actual exhaust gaskets that I received are quite large and about the diameter of the header pipe.
      These was a thread and pictures of a washer with rubber on one side being fitted to the outer 4 studs right in the gasket stud hole, between the head and the cylinder, but those stud holes seemed a bit larger than the others and the gasket was manufactured differently and not made by Athena.

do they fit over the dowels? just a guess. You should also have an oil dowel somewhere too (I think)

Comment

Hi All, Thanks for all the replies, my gasket has no metal inserts the 3 layers are actually loose and just held together with 4 small studs.
        Here is a picture of the copper gaskets that came with the set.
        Left are the exhaust gaskets, then the 4 copper crush gaskets, then the four heavy copper washers, then 4 very small copper washers.
        I am sort of trying to get everyting together before I open her up.

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
          23 bucks? Wow, what a rip-off!

Andre, I have several gasket sets for a GS1000. I'll send you the rectangular gasket out of one of them if you need it.
          Renobruce,
          Thanks for the offer I have sent you a PM. I think it was just my bad luck that this was not included as the set was still sealed and had so many parts that I never checked it and going back to Parts'nmore will most probably be a waste of time as the shipping was $82 for the $61 complete set via Fedex. I got the shock of my life.
          If you can, ordinary envelope via airmail like Robert Barr does please
          Again thanks you guys are just great!

Comment

it's too late now, but for next time ...

the shipping was $82 for the $61 complete set via Fedex. I got the shock of my life.
            buy your parts from a smaller/customer friendlier place (such as z1enterprises) and ask them to ship "usps priority", you get a track number, gets to new zealand within a week or two and costs a lot less than fedex or ups
            bigger retail places have policies in place on who they use for shipping but smaller sellers and ebay are usually happy to ship with your prefered company
            ups and fedex are notoriously expensive for overseas shipping
            GS850GT

Comment

those crush gaskets have me a little stumped. How does your carburetor attach to the heads (if at all?)

Comment

heavy copper washer = under the acorn nuts
                thinner copper washers (my best guess) are for the head oil-ways (on top of the head gasket)
                the smallest washers i am trully puzzled about

Hi All, Thanks for all the replies, my gasket has no metal inserts the 3 layers are actually loose and just held together with 4 small studs.
                Here is a picture of the copper gaskets that came with the set.
                Left are the exhaust gaskets, then the 4 copper crush gaskets, then the four heavy copper washers, then 4 very small copper washers.
                I am sort of trying to get everyting together before I open her up.
                GS850GT

Comment

psyguy,
                  You have actually hit the nail right on the head and I have since learnt the hard way. Once the topend is open I may need rings and valve guides and will need to find a supplier who will send usps. Do you know if z1enterprises stock those?

Comment

Originally posted by Schweisshund View Post
                    those crush gaskets have me a little stumped. How does your carburetor attach to the heads (if at all?)
                    Rubber intake boots with o-ring between the head and the intake boot. My gasket set is for the GS1000G 1980-81 specifically. Its actually a pity that gasket suppliers do not have a small parts list in these sets.

Comment

psyguy,
                      You have actually hit the nail right on the head and I have since learnt the hard way. Once the topend is open I may need rings and valve guides and will need to find a supplier who will send usps. Do you know if z1enterprises stock those?
                      in my experience jeff from z1 is very friendly, they can get many more aftermarket parts than what their website suggests and can get any suzuki oem part (takes another 10 days as they are not the oem stockists themselves)
                      GS850GT

Comment

Its actually a pity that gasket suppliers do not have a small parts list in these sets.
                        my vesrah gasket set came with the list of parts - made the job a lot easier
                        GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                          in my experience jeff from z1 is very friendly, they can get many more aftermarket parts than what their website suggests and can get any suzuki oem part (takes another 10 days as they are not the oem stockists themselves)
                          Thanks, I have never dealt with them, but on your advice will approach them first. I actually only looked at their site and did not see everything. Its good to know.

I have a feeling that your guess on the 4 crush washers must be the closest. It seems that not many people so far have used the Athena gasket sets. Mine even has the intake o-rings included in addition to the header pipe gaskets and even including an oilfilter cover o-ring that usually comes with a filter. There was even one only, as small as the idle screw o-ring, wonder where that one goes?

Comment

Thanks, I have never dealt with them, but on your advice will approach them first. I actually only looked at their site and did not see everything. Its good to know.
                            what i do is i go to bikebandit.com look up the oem part numbers and the description on the micro-fiche and compile a list that i send to z1 in an email...
                            GS850GT

Comment

There was even one only, as small as the idle screw o-ring, wonder where that one goes?
                              cam chain tensioner o-ring (#19) ?
                              Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.
                              GS850GT

Comment

what size are those 4 small washers?
                                could be #17 on this page
                                Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.
                                GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                                X