• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
    what size are those 4 small washers?
    could be #17 on this page
    http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm
    Yes I think #17 is a possibility, it measures OD=10mm and ID=5mm and the number is 09168-0510. There are 4 and Flatout shows 4 required. I cannot see where they go but maybe for the intake manifold vacuum port screws.

The heavy copper washers are definitely on the outside of the head under the domed nut as I can see the old ones.

If you look at the diagram on Apha Sports the OEM gasket shows something on the 4 corner stud holes. The OEM may have a seal pressed in there. Mine has nothing and the holes are similar to the others maybe the 4 copper crush washers go there. I will only be able to see once I have the head off if the face on the head and cylinder is smooth there or has an indentation for this. That is if the washers are actually for the head at all.

Comment

what size are those 4 small washers?
      could be #17 on this page
      What page is that PSYGUY

Comment

cam chain tensioner o-ring (#19) ?
        I overhauled my cam chain tensioner and replaced a larger 0-ring, a small seal and a smaller oring, but cannot recall such a tiny one. I see the part number shows 09280-06003 superceded by 09280-06005 and the measurements of mine are 3mm ID and 1mm thickness, seems much smaller. I now recall that the small one was the same size as Robert Barrs fuel tube o-rings 6mm ID x 1.8mm thickness.

My full gasket set then seems quite comprehensive if I include the rectangular one that is most likely only missing from my package.
        Thanks again for the info and help.
        Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2008, 08:41 AM. Reason: Afterthought added

Comment

I have the top end off and the head gasket looks the same as the one I have! Unfortunately the rectangularuat o-ring around the cam chain is mangled and unusable, seems like it was pinched so I will definitely need one.
          Seems like the motor was overhauled by PO, still some honing marks in the bore, no ridge, heavy carbon on the pistons though. Will start cleaning and then measure.
          Does any one know where I can get the next piston oversize dimensions? I would like to check what is fitted, standard or oversize.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
            I have the top end off and the head gasket looks the same as the one I have! Unfortunately the rectangularuat o-ring around the cam chain is mangled and unusable, seems like it was pinched so I will definitely need one.
            Seems like the motor was overhauled by PO, still some honing marks in the bore, no ridge, heavy carbon on the pistons though. Will start cleaning and then measure.
            Does any one know where I can get the next piston oversize dimensions? I would like to check what is fitted, standard or oversize.
            Andre any oversize will be stamped on the top of the pistons. The rings and piston sizes go up in 0.25mm. So it will be .25, .5, .75 & 1mm. These are the four oversizes and will require new or used pistons to suit the bore oversize.
            Cheers. Don.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
              What page is that PSYGUY
              alphasports link in post #30 above
              GS850GT

Comment

alphasports link in post #30 above
                I dont know if I am dumb or what (I probably am). When I click on the link it just takes me to the AlphaSports home page. Not to a page that shows any parts. Straighten me out please? Click on the link and tell me where I am going wrong.
                Thanks PSY. Cheers. Don.

Comment

Andre any oversize will be stamped on the top of the pistons. The rings and piston sizes go up in 0.25mm. So it will be .25, .5, .75 & 1mm. These are the four oversizes and will require new or used pistons to suit the bore oversize.
                  Cheers. Don.
                  factory over sizes are .50mm and 1mm over, when I rebuilt my 1000 the .50mm first over size was not available, but the last time I checked they had made up a new batch.

Comment

you re not dumb suzuki don

the link doesnt work...
                    you can open year 1980 and scroll down to 1000g and then open the "head" link
                    thats the page i was talking about

I dont know if I am dumb or what (I probably am). When I click on the link it just takes me to the AlphaSports home page. Not to a page that shows any parts. Straighten me out please? Click on the link and tell me where I am going wrong.
                    Thanks PSY. Cheers. Don.
                    GS850GT

Comment

the link doesnt work...
                      you can open year 1980 and scroll down to 1000g and then open the "head" link
                      thats the page i was talking about
                      Thanks. I thought I was going mad and it wasn't working for me. Mind you I'm not the most computer savvy person in the world. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy View Post
                        factory over sizes are .50mm and 1mm over, when I rebuilt my 1000 the .50mm first over size was not available, but the last time I checked they had made up a new batch.
                        Focus and Don thanks, I need to clean the pistons and almost everything else and see what is stamped on the head. Pistons have lots of carbon, but look nice at a glance. Compression was a bit low at kpa 850, 850, 750, 900.
                        I have to make the valve removal adapter and the piston pin puller today.
                        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                          Compression was a bit low at kpa 850, 850, 750, 900.
                          I have to make the valve removal adapter and the piston pin puller today.
                          Thanks
                          that compression, whats that in PSI units?

piston pin you can lightly tap from one side (with a piece of rod or pipe)while suporting the connecting rod - they dont give much resistance so should come out easily

be very patient and careful removing valve keepers (collets), they like to go hiding and cause major personal stress :shock:
                          GS850GT

Comment

that compression, whats that in PSI units?

piston pin you can lightly tap from one side (with a piece of rod or pipe)while suporting the connecting rod - they dont give much resistance so should come out easily

be very patient and careful removing valve keepers (collets), they like to go hiding and cause major personal stress :shock:
                            Thats 123, 123, 109, 130 psi. Thanks, I just pushed the pins out with my finger, just one needed a harder push.
                            The pistons are 1.0 oversize and measure 70.95mm they look fairly new and no carbon in the ring slots just some brownish varnish. The carbon on the crowns were a bit spongy and thick, but came off very easily. The rings have correct end gaps and they also look very good. I will measure everything later, but quick measurements on a few items show them well within specs and at a guess virtually new. It seems as if my barrels, pistons and rings were replaced and a rebore done and not too many miles done after that.

I have an old valve compressor and a short piece of alluminium pipe. I will try to use that to get the valves out. I also found that the circlips in the pistons also seem to fly easily!

I just need to get some order in the garage before I pull the head apart. The valves are also quite carboned up at a glance and I hope they are in a good condition as well.

Comment

If things are carboned up on piston and valves it could be from incomplete combustion. Should not be oil as you have newish rings and supposedly new valve stem seals at the same time. Might need to do the coil relay mod. LOL.

Comment

Do You Want To Remove The Valves Quickly

If so place the cylinder head on the work bench with a bunched up piece of rag in each chamber to fill the space. This prevents the valves from depressing when you hit it with the 2lb hammer.

You then put a spark plug socket spanner on the valve keeper and give it a mighty thump with said 2lb or was it 3lb hammer. The valve spring keeper, springs and any other bits compress but the valve doesn't because rag or half tennis ball stops valve from compressing.

This leaves space for the valve stem collets to fall out with no danger of them flying into your face or whatever. Because they are trapped inside the metal tube or in my case the spark plug socket spanner.

Cheers. Don

Comment

Working...
                                X