motorcycle insurance questions help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
    I am with Progressive and I pay $79 a year for my Suzuki GS and my '84 Kawasaki 900 Ninja with minimum liability coverage only, for the reasons stated by Bwringer above. Medical coverage is unnecessary if you have medical insurance through some other carrier, such as your employment.
    Careful...there's been a big move in the medical insurance industry to specifically exclude injuries sustained while riding motorcycles from coverage!!!! Not every policy does this but many do and they DO NOT adverstise the fact. Do yourself a favor and READ your policy to ensure that there is no such exclusion and call the claims department and ask them as well. Too many folks nationwide have thought their medical policy covered them only to find out after the fact that "motorcycle related injuries" were excluded via the fine print.

Comment

I have never heard that.
      NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
      Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        Personally, I think buying comp/collision on a vintage bike is insane. But I know some people carry it because it usually doesn't cost much. However, the potential payout if something disastrous happens is limited to what the insurance company thinks your GS is worth, which I will guarantee you is far, far less than what you think it's worth.

Thats not true for all insurance. At progressive you can account for all your "extras" as long as you elect that coverage, select a total, and keep you receipts.

Comment

Insurance company

I also have coverage with Sentry/Dairyland. I got the first policy with an independent agent but he since retired and there is not another agent in the area. I now deal directly with the home office in Wisconsin. The policy they offer was the lowest cost of any I found. Don't have any idea how they perform when a claim is filed. I pay about $80/yr for my 1982 GS450T with high coverage for all options. Dick V

Comment

Curious!

Originally posted by MelodicMetalGod View Post
            Careful...there's been a big move in the medical insurance industry to specifically exclude injuries sustained while riding motorcycles from coverage!!!! Not every policy does this but many do and they DO NOT adverstise the fact. Do yourself a favor and READ your policy to ensure that there is no such exclusion and call the claims department and ask them as well. Too many folks nationwide have thought their medical policy covered them only to find out after the fact that "motorcycle related injuries" were excluded via the fine print.
            Just out of curiosity....could you give us a couple of names of insurance companies that have such a policy??8-[
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
              Just out of curiosity....could you give us a couple of names of insurance companies that have such a policy??8-[
              Check out this thread from a while back and follow the links. The AMA has been fighting this for quite a while now.

Comment

Interesting

Originally posted by MelodicMetalGod View Post
                Check out this thread from a while back and follow the links. The AMA has been fighting this for quite a while now.
                Thanks for the interesting link...I don't recall seeing that in the past. I think I looked at everything there and still saw no examples of where it has really taken place. It would be interesting to know which and how many companies might be trying to do this.
                1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I called up Geico and asked for a quote, in the process they asked if the forks were modified, I said yes, they asked how much longer, I said 3" shorter... long pause... then they said, you mean 3" LONGER?, couldn't wrap it around thier brain/computer that I may have actually shortened the forks by switching to Ninja forks... I didn't insure with them.

Comment

I recently insured my 81 GS 650 for $75 for the whole year. My insurance company wanted $300 I checked Geico's website and am very pleased with what I ended up with. Now this is just liability but $75 beats $300 any day.

Comment

I pay about $85 per year for three bikes (Min. liability) thru Markel (also known as bikeline)

Comment

Linky no workie for me, MMG.

I just got my renewal from Markel, $54 and includes supplementary uninsured motorist. Also appears to be an option to add roadside assistance for $16 more. I've heard bad stories about AAA for bikes, but $16 isn't exactly a whopping risk. www.markelinsuresfun.com or 800-236-BIKE. Last year I got insured in minutes and they faxed the card straight to the DMV so I got everything done the same day.

Comment

Mela, I just started my policy with Esurance with the state minimums and just liability for $75 a year.

Comment

Originally posted by MissFabulous View Post

I just got my renewal from Markel, $54 and includes supplementary uninsured motorist. Also appears to be an option to add roadside assistance for $16 more. I've heard bad stories about AAA for bikes, but $16 isn't exactly a whopping risk. www.markelinsuresfun.com or 800-236-BIKE. Last year I got insured in minutes and they faxed the card straight to the DMV so I got everything done the same day.
                            I just got an online quote from Markel and I'm glad I was sitting.....
                            $1,327/yr.
                            I guess you got a bare-bones policy. I asked for 100-300 lia. etc.

Comment

wtf? I suspect something's not right here. Full coverage of a Hayabusa maybe? Please share your story Fla.guy

Comment

Originally posted by MissFabulous View Post

Yeah, me either. In fact, the link was to a thread that I started and the entire thread seems to have vanished. I emailed Admin about it a couple weeks ago now, but I've not yet rec'd a response.

Here's a direct link to the AMA site and info: http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/rapidresponse.asp

Comment

Working...
                                X