motorcycle insurance questions help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another useful link from AMA:

State Motorcycle Laws (includes insurance laws)

Comment

Hi Everyone

It blew my mind reading this thread !! The LOW insurance premiums for motorcycles that you are paying is MIND BOGGLING !! One thread, from a Florida poster even said motorcycle insurance is not required there !!! My poor brain can hardly even register such an idea !
      I'm Canadian. Insurance is required in Canada.
      It seems all the posters in this thread were/are American and no one pays more than $100 per year for their insurance. ((That's correct, isn't it ?! - there's not a '0' missing at the end of that figure ??))
      I have an excellent driving record & the very cheapest motorcycle insurance available for my 82 400E and that is approx $650 per year, no collision or anything extra with deductibles. = grrrrr

Comment

Originally posted by journerr View Post
        Hi Everyone
        It seems all the posters in this thread were/are American and no one pays more than $100 per year for their insurance. ((That's correct, isn't it ?! - there's not a '0' missing at the end of that figure ??))
        mine is $167 in michigan from sentry/daryland
        and I have been riding since '71, clean record...
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Just got my renewal notice from Progressive this past week. I was gonna switch to another company that quoted me $81/year, $22 lower than the $103 that I paid this past year. Lo and behold, Progressive sent the renewal out at $76/year for the upcoming year!!! I hadn't even told them I was thinking of switching yet. Woohooo!!!!

As for all you poor Canadians, my condolences on your insurance woes. The rates y'all report make one or two years of premiums more expensive that what it costs to buy the bikes. Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Florida Guy View Post
            I just got an online quote from Markel and I'm glad I was sitting.....
            $1,327/yr.
            I guess you got a bare-bones policy. I asked for 100-300 lia. etc.
            ????????? I have 100-300 with Markel and pay $52 a year!
            1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
            The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Full coverage plus towing on my 90 Guzzi with a fairing that is no longer available and is probably worth more than most of the bikes we're talking about (including my GS). It would have to be repaired, if possible or it has no fairing and I'd have to buy new gauges, etc.
              $165/year through GEICO.

When I had my Concours it was about the same and it was new.

Comment

I am in canada, so my prices are a bit higher

79 750L - 316/year - 1,000,000 liability
                91 Katana 1100 - 360/year - 1,000,000 liability

MY 91 katana 1100 with a rebuilt title - 880/year - I am sooooo not happy with this bike right now! I am looking for a frame with clear title for it to get to 360/year, 500 bucks a year, I can do a lot of work switching parts across for that money!

Comment

Just got my renewal notice from Progressive this past week. I was gonna switch to another company that quoted me $81/year, $22 lower than the $103 that I paid this past year. Lo and behold, Progressive sent the renewal out at $76/year for the upcoming year!!! I hadn't even told them I was thinking of switching yet. Woohooo!!!!
                  That's about half what I am paying for full coverage from progressive.

Have you been riding a motorcycle for along time??

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                    That's about half what I am paying for full coverage from progressive.

Have you been riding a motorcycle for along time??
                    Whoa now...I do NOT have full coverage...liability only since a bug on the windscreen would likely prompt insurance companies to total these old bikes.

Started riding in the early 80's. As far as insurance/MVA records go, since 1987 as a licensed rider, but only 10 of those years as an owner of a registered bike.

Comment

Whoa now...I do NOT have full coverage...liability only since a bug on the windscreen would likely prompt insurance companies to total these old bikes.
                      I'm a beginning rider, liability for my KZ550 would have been $168, full coverage was $198. Since full coverage was only $30 more per year I decided to go with that.

Comment

A tip that my insurance agent clued me into: every insurance company's rating system is a little different, but with nearly all of them, the engine size will play into it. By using the ACTUAL cc's it may put you into a lower rate bracket. i.e. for my GS550, the actual cc's is 549cc. With the 550, it didnt matter, but there was a difference between 749 and 750cc's!

FWIW:
                        BI: 100/300
                        PD: 100
                        UM:100/300
                        UMPD: 15

$90/year
                        I add $47.60 for Underinsured motorist (not the same as uninsured) to bring the grand total to $137.60/year. This is with Shelter Insurance and I'm 23 with a perfect driving record.

P.S. Another thing my agent told me is most companies are starting to factor your credit score into your rate as well, for better or worse.

Comment

FWIW:
                          BI: 100/300
                          PD: 100
                          UM:100/300
                          UMPD: 15

$90/year
                          I add $47.60 for Underinsured motorist (not the same as uninsured) to bring the grand total to $137.60/year.
                          Is this for full coverage? What about medical payments is that also included?

Comment

Originally posted by Napoleon047 View Post
                            A tip that my insurance agent clued me into: every insurance company's rating system is a little different, but with nearly all of them, the engine size will play into it. By using the ACTUAL cc's it may put you into a lower rate bracket. i.e. for my GS550, the actual cc's is 549cc. With the 550, it didnt matter, but there was a difference between 749 and 750cc's!
                            Wouldn't do much good with my bike...it's called a 550, but the engine is technically a 572 cc volume.

Comment

Working...
                            X