Pod filter covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pod filter covers

I have a 1980 gs 850. I recently put on individual pod filters. It was running lean so I made a restrictor plate in each filter which helped alot. Im just running a little lean during WOT. I was wondering if anyone knew of a cover or sock type cover to go over the filters to give just a little more restriction. I was looking at maybe trying to put on some of the covers ive seen used for covering powersteering reservoirs and brake masster cylinders on cars. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

just re-jet the carbs. look for "pod" and/or "re jet" in the search function and you should find lots of threads with the right sizes.

Comment

On my Seadoo I have Outer Wears on my high flow flame arresters. Work great for keeping the water out. By the time you buy four of them it would be cheaper just to buy some bigger jets.
      1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
      1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
      1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
      1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
      01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

hmm the first thing that comes to mind would be some aluminum can coozies...

but you would have to find some pretty thin ones...

lol

Comment

get bigger jets. Putting in restrictor plates defeats the purpose of putting on pods for improved air flow.

Comment

I only put the pods on because they look alot better than the old box and the old boots werent sealing good anymore. I added some more filter element inside the pods and it seems to work alot better. Maybe I should put on some coors light cans over the filters. :-D I will probably end up getting bigger jets. The wife isnt gonna be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmacstang424 View Post
              I only put the pods on because they look alot better than the old box and the old boots werent sealing good anymore. I added some more filter element inside the pods and it seems to work alot better. Maybe I should put on some coors light cans over the filters. :-D I will probably end up getting bigger jets. The wife isnt gonna be happy.
              Why not put the airbox back on so it runs right and tape Coors cans on the sides of the airbox so it looks cool?

Tip, use real Coors cans, Coors light is for *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$s.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

use baby socks

Comment

Had the same problem with cheap Emgos I put on my XS. I changed to foam Uni-pods and no more issues.

You can do a couple of things to help. 1) Wrap about half of the filter with electrical tape or duct tape or the like. Start at the carb end outward. A bit unsightly but if done neatly its not too noticeable. 2) Get some of the grey foam that comes in computer motherboard boxes (usually thrown out at the local computer store). It is not very dense and allows air through. Cut a strip as wide as the interior of the pod and about 8 to 10" long. Roll it into a tube, fasten with a rubber band or 2 and insert into the pod.Straighten a paper clip and push it through the mesh of the filter and trough the foam to hold it in place. You will have to experiment with the amount of foam you use to make it restrictive but not overly so. 3) put in "fatter" jets.

Before I changed to the Unis, I used the electrical tape method and slightly larger jets. The foam plugs kinda evolved after I adapted that foam for my airfilter in my GS. I couldn't come up witha replacement filter locally so I took the aforementioned foam (I am a computer service provider by occupation) and wrapped my airbox snorkel with a couple of layers (oiled with K&N filter oil) and have been running it for several weeks. Without it the bike runs lean and pops and backfires. With it in place....smooth as silk.

Go with bigger jets but in the time being give one of the filter mods a try.

Let us know what works for you.

Good luck with the project.

Cheers,
                  Spyug.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post

You can do a couple of things to help. 1) Wrap about half of the filter with electrical tape or duct tape or the like. Start at the carb end outward. A bit unsightly but if done neatly its not too noticeable. 2) Get some of the grey foam that comes in computer motherboard boxes (usually thrown out at the local computer store). It is not very dense and allows air through. Cut a strip as wide as the interior of the pod and about 8 to 10" long. Roll it into a tube, fasten with a rubber band or 2 and insert into the pod.Straighten a paper clip and push it through the mesh of the filter and trough the foam to hold it in place. You will have to experiment with the amount of foam you use to make it restrictive but not overly so. 3) put in "fatter" jets.

Before I changed to the Unis, I used the electrical tape method and slightly larger jets. The foam plugs kinda evolved after I adapted that foam for my airfilter in my GS. I couldn't come up witha replacement filter locally so I took the aforementioned foam (I am a computer service provider by occupation) and wrapped my airbox snorkel with a couple of layers (oiled with K&N filter oil) and have been running it for several weeks. Without it the bike runs lean and pops and backfires. With it in place....smooth as silk.
                    I can't believe people would do such things.

Look for a jet kit for your 1980 850 G - they make em.. thats all ya need. Wont break the bank either. Bike will run damn good too. No foam and coors cans and anything to restrict air into a carb. Thats bad religion.

Comment

Does the term "half-azzed" come to mind? Just slam some bigger jets in it and call it quits. Playing around with trying to restrict the airflow is just that playing around.

Comment

Just?

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
                        just re-jet the carbs. look for "pod" and/or "re jet" in the search function and you should find lots of threads with the right sizes.
                        I don't want to jet the carbs until I find a decent deal on a decent 4-1. In the meantime, I don't want to finagle that airbox back on the bike if I can possibly avoid it. I have a lot of work to do in the next month, and those things are so irritating to get on and off.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          Coors light is for *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$s.
                          Yea, I don't think that is the prefered nomenclature. Come on, with Obama running?

::not serious::

Comment

Originally posted by burp reynolds View Post
                            I don't want to jet the carbs until I find a decent deal on a decent 4-1. In the meantime, I don't want to finagle that airbox back on the bike if I can possibly avoid it. I have a lot of work to do in the next month, and those things are so irritating to get on and off.
                            The 4-1 won't make that much difference...at least according to the instructions with the DynaJet kit...
                            The pods are the main thing.

The DynaJet kit is well worth the money and when you get the 4-1 header, it will only be a minor change...you won't have to buy anything else...
                            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                              The 4-1 won't make that much difference...at least according to the instructions with the DynaJet kit...
                              The pods are the main thing.

The DynaJet kit is well worth the money and when you get the 4-1 header, it will only be a minor change...you won't have to buy anything else...
                              Yeah, but I'm going to wait until after I move to Santa Fe, when I'll have more time on my hands. I need a good month or two of downtime when I get rippin' into carbs. And this dang thing has for of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X