Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RMStator vs Electrosport Stator?

MikeG Guest

Just got it. 4 days from CA to IL, not bad. Also jsut got a call that the gasket came into Chicago Cycle so I'll be able to get working on this tomorrow night!

I'm going to do the stator and the r/r at the same time, I'm figuring on 2-2.5 hours, does that sound right?

mighty13d Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
    Just got it. 4 days from CA to IL, not bad. Also jsut got a call that the gasket came into Chicago Cycle so I'll be able to get working on this tomorrow night!

I'm going to do the stator and the r/r at the same time, I'm figuring on 2-2.5 hours, does that sound right?

depends on your mechanical ability. but I would say that if you take your time and make sure you do everything right, then that would be a fair estimate of time.

MikeG Guest

Gor up at 8:30 this morning, had a Coke and moved all my stuff to parking lot outside and in the shade.

By 12:30 I was driving down the the Mods vs. Rockers rally in Chicago with my shiny new charging system fully functional \\/

PS, the rally was awesome! 400 bikes, not too many GS's but man there were some nice old Nortons and /5's and /2s and Triumphs, all in all a fantastic day with a huge crown of cool people. I'll look for links tomorrow, there should be some fottage of me zipping fown Ashland in the pack to the after party.

MikeG Guest

Went for a ride on Monday and halfway through the bike wouldn't start after coming out of a store. Push started it and limped home with the headlight turned off.

Just got the time to look at itW

R/R output to battery terminal shows 40 millivolts on positive and negative, not bad, the r/r is wired direct to the always hot output on the Electrosport with the sense wire on a switched direct connection.

When I connect the DVOM from the the stator wire to the case I get 21-24 ohms on two of the legs. According to the Stator papers I need a new stator.

Any idea as to what would kill a RM stator in just a couple years? I'm thinking it was something to do with the new wiring but don't know what to look for.

This sucks as I have been out of work since Aug. 8th. Anyone have a stator for a 1982 GS750E lying around?

MikeG Guest

And to follow up, when I get a new stator what do i look for or do to ensure this doesn't happen again? Or are stators just consumables that should expect to burn out every couple years?

Souske Guest

did you eliminate the headlight loop, as well as replaced the connections to the batt. Feed?

Billy Ricks Guest

It's possible running without the headlight on fried the stator. I just happened to have done the same thing last year when my battery wasn't charging. My original problem was a battery that came out of a bad batch of Westco AGMs. I figured I'd run without the headlight thinking the battery might charge and that may have contributed to the stator burning its windings.

MikeG Guest

ah, now I see that running w/o the headlight might be a problem. Well, I'm going to order a new stator as no one seems to have a spare for sale.

I'm not sure on the headlight loop, I'll look at that when I get it apart.

Check the voltage drop to your switch lead connection too. I have been running it directly to the battery on seven bikes for over two years now with no problems. Also, you should verify that your 5 main bullet connectors are making good contact (I do this by cutting them off and soldering the wires), and that you have grounds to the frame and battery.
    Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

MikeG Guest

Got the stator yesterday and the output wires were only 16ga. Has anyone else seen such thin wires on a stator?

Doesn't matter, I hooked it up and at all RPM's the battery stays at 12.7 no change...FML

I would KILL for a garage, the bike is outside my house in the dark and there's nothing I can do about it. Tomorrow I get to try to work on it in the blazing sun, yeah!