No announcement yet.

Top end rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can use the HD springs with the stock cams no problem. (sorry Ed, don't mean to contradict you)
    Clean the sump pump screen after the first break oil and filter change. I did mine after around 50 miles.
    You wouldn't believe the crap I found in there.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The process continues...

My "garage", an 8 X 12 shed. I did run electricity to it at least.

Yes, that's a Black and Decker workmate, and yes it makes me a little nervous, but it's rated 350 lbs. The towels stop it from rocking side to side and being more unstable.

Mechanical advance is a little rusty, gonna clean it up, and what the hell, might as well look at the clutch plates, maybe replace the fibers, got a few spares.

Bought extra sheathing from vintage connections, looks like I need some here on the gear indicator wiring...

Comment

There is NO WAY I could work in my shed. It actually has stuff in it.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          There is NO WAY I could work in my shed. It actually has stuff in it.
          I rent and last time my lease was almost up I told her I thought I'd have to move because I had to have a garage for the bike. Two weeks later there was a new 8 X 12 shed sitting behind my house, I have another old one that has all my crap in it. I built workbench, lofts, etc... into the new one to maximize space, just for this purpose (storing and working on a bike).

Comment

Mo Money, Mo Money, Mo Money.... (and yes Ed I know I probably could have avoided some of it hehe)

I went ahead and bought the full set of Vesrah stock diameter valves for $180. That's how much I would have paid for OEM valves for exhaust only. My intakes are actually 99% sure all still within spec, They'll be up for sale soon.

Gonna wait for the valves to arrive, and then going to ship them, the head, and the cylinder block all to APE. APE is going to bore the cylinders to fit each piston ($189.00), and re-cut the seats on the exhaust side ($20.00). I kept looking at how pitted they were (IN side are shiny clean) and finally decided lapping wasn't gonna get it. Major, major, major fingers crossed they don't have to cut them to the point I have to go oversized on the exhaust side (requiring 4 custom valves at $50 each). The head still has the guides in it. Before they re-cut the seats I'm going to have them check the valves in the guides (since I don't have a dial gauge) and if any of the guides are too worn, gonna go ahead and replace all the guides and re-cut all the seats (instead of EX only).

Can you tell I love this bike.
            The upside is by spring this thing will basically have the engine if a bike right off the assembly line.

Comment

The other thing you have to worry about "if" they have to do a deep cut on your valve seats is valve clearance.

You may have to have the valve stems shortened.
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                The other thing you have to worry about "if" they have to do a deep cut on your valve seats is valve clearance.

You may have to have the valve stems shortened.
                They'll do that for like 8 bucks a valve, so compared to having to have valves with oversized heads made, peanuts.

Comment

Little more frame work today, should be done next weekend and ready for the powder coater.

No airboxes for you!

Little hammer modification required for the gussets by the steering stem.

Gussets tack welded after airbox mounts cut off.

And welded in place.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                    They'll do that for like 8 bucks a valve, so compared to having to have valves with oversized heads made, peanuts.
                    Just wanted to remind you so you're not cursing when there's no shim thin enough to give you clearance after you have it all back together.
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                      Just wanted to remind you so you're not cursing when there's no shim thin enough to give you clearance after you have it all back together.
                      All advice appreciated sir.

Comment

Update:

Block, head, 1100 pistons, and one each valve shipped to APE today. Going to have them bore to fit new pistons, checks the seats to see if they need to be re-cut, and check the valves in the guides to see if guides need replaced.

Comment

Mega Major been MIA Update

First, if all goes well, I will be riding within 2 weeks. Left the o-rings off the cylinder head barrels when I put it over the pistons so I have to pull it back off and "Do Over". Luckily I hadn't installed the head or torqued anything down yet. Engine goes the reat of the way back together this weekend, and the rest of the bike is ready and waiting on it. Pics to follow at some point, especially after it's all back together. Some of this was done prior to this winter (which has now stretched into spring, but I'm going to include all the mods in the laundry list:

1981 GS1000GX

Engine:
                          Replaced my head (with multiple sheared off header bolts) with a head off an 82 GS1100G. Shipped the head to APE where they recut the seats, assembled it with all new valves, HD valve springs, new oil seals, etc... APE also had to cut down the valve stems a bit for the new deeper seats. The head had been decked by a local guy .017 before I even sent it to APE, so likely a compression increase. My days of regular gas may be over.

Bought a set of stock 1100 Pistons from a guy on the UJM board. Had APE bore and hone the cylinders for the new pistons, installed with all new rings. This increases the displacement to 1045 if I'm not mistaken. It already had K&N Pods and V&H 4 into 1 installed.

So the top end is now basically a zero mile engine.

Chassis:
                          Frame braced per specs the Old Skool Suzuki board with gussets and cross members. Frame, center stand, etc... all powdercoated "wet black". All bearings replaced with OEM or All Balls, wheel front and back, steering stem, etc... Tarozzi Fork Brace installed. Virtually every fastener where stainless steel was appropriate replaced, most with socket head. New Hel Stainless steel brake lines all around. Seat re-covered by an upolsterer.

Electrical:
                          New wiring harness already installed after the fire shortly after I got it, but I also have now rewired most of the components that were left like brake light, gear position etc... New Electrosport charging components, coil relay mod, dyna coils.

I ran out of time/money for this winter so a few things (like front fender, calipers) just rattle can painted. Eventually, everything but the tank will most likely get powdercoat.

It's been many months, several grand, and some stupid tax in the hundreds of dollars, but almost finished. I hope it will flirt with 100 HP. This was my first ground up, and I made some expensive mistakes, but all the better to do the next one (hopefully a Brit bike like a BSA or a Triumph). I'll try to get some pics minus the engine tonight, and some more after I hear the sweet sound the first time it starts. Just putting out an update.

Comment

1074 or 1075 now. Your riding with the big boys now.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              1074 or 1075 now. Your riding with the big boys now.
                              Those carb parts I got from you part of the package as well (at least until I go with flat slides).

Major sleeper, it still has the 1000G badges on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X