No announcement yet.

metallic tapping noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok I went to the garage and stared at this thing for awhile. looking at the pic of the seal.... if it was in the other way basically the open side to the back (reverse of pic) the inner seal where the spring goes around it would then be towards the outer edge of the shaft. If you look at the shaft you can see its tapered on the end. therefore the inner part of the seal with the spring would not be resting on that taper. whatever the width of the inner seal is versus the width from the end of the shaft inwards minus the taper is all it would cover. the inner seal sits closer to the face (the solid face and not the open side) and since it does this it would seem to me that that inner seal on the shaft would sit farther inwards and more on the flat part of the shaft with the way its put in now and seals a wider area. ....did I explain that good? I think my service manual is showing it right and maybe I just happen to get a junk seal. And oh its not ging to leak not running cause the oil level is way below this seal. I could have watched that all night and not seen it leak lol.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2009, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Are you sure it is coming from the seal and not the outer circumferance? Did you use sealant on the outer of the seal?
      Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2009, 12:13 AM.

Comment

yes for sure its coming from the inner seal and i put some suzuki bond on the outer edges of the seal before i joined the cases. I did that just to be on the safe side . never figured it would leak on the inside. also put a little oil on the inner before I slid it on just so it wouldnt tear.

Comment

Ya, I used threebond on mine as well, might be a bugger to get back out

Comment

Hey Dave, I have never had a seal that the inner lip rode on a taper...ever. I use my manual for info a lot, but at the same time I was a auto mechanic for 12 years and never seen a seal installed like that, so when it cam to to install the seal I did not even look at the manual since I have installed ,I dont know how many over the years. I wish I would have warned you about that, but I did not even see the mistake in the manual til you said something. Or it might be that the seal itself has gone thru a redesign like our bearings in the 650 motors and the old seal looked and fit differently.
            Sorry for the trouble your having having, but it is a pretty easy fix at least.

Comment

Working...
            X