carb dip in ultrasonic cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb dip in ultrasonic cleaner

I was wondering if anyone had ever used the carb dip in an ultrasonic cleaner? I have an industrial ultrasonic cleaner and was thinking of filling it with enough water to cover the gallon can of dip up about 3/4 of the way and cleaning the carbs that way. I think it would help to clean all the little passages better. does anyone have any thoughts/ concerns. I have all the parts to now do the carb cleaning the proper way. I can finally get to them as things have calmed down here as we just saw my daughter off to start her career in the airforce so i really need something to keep my mind busy.

Donald

I tried using an industrial ultrasonic cleaner on my carbs but they were so crudded up it never made a dent in it. I didn't use carb dip, I used lacquer thinner and acetone. The lacquer thinner worked the best for me.

Comment

You still need a solvent for the resins in the tiny passages. If the ultrasonic cleaner machine was rated for use with highly inflammable solvents, it would probably be a great way to clean carbs - and lots of other bike parts.
      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I have a brand new can of gunk carb dip that i was going to use by placing the can in the water and letting the ultrasonics work throug the water and dip solution.

Comment

Originally posted by dstamour View Post
          I have a brand new can of gunk carb dip that i was going to use by placing the can in the water and letting the ultrasonics work throug the water and dip solution.
          Interesting idea... that might work pretty well.

Comment

I saw a post on Old Skool Suzuki about someone doing an ultrasonic cleaning of a set of carbs. Don't know if it helped the insides but the outsides were nothing short of phenomenal.

I would have bet my life savings that these carbs couldn't be saved!
            He also mentioned what he used for solvent.

Comment

I cleaned a handgun using Simple Green and an Ultrasonic cleaner. It came out spotless. I think to make it easier, you might need to give the carbs a good wipe down first. You know, kind of like when you rinse your dishes before you put them in the dishwasher.

Comment

Beware of Simple Green on aluminum for long periods of time. I've actually never used it, but read the label carefully. Lots of similar cleaners contain chemicals that can corrode aluminum and zinc, and the tiniest bit of corrosion in tiny passages would make the carburetor perpertually useless. Better to stick with the hydrocarbon solvents.
                sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

That ultrasonic bath should work very nicely. You can test it as you plan without the carbs, if the dip starts resonating on the surface after a few minutes then it should work, but I would then leave the parts in the dip overnight and then use the ultrasonic bath. Make sure all the rubbers and plastics are out, especially the pilot screw o-ring.

Cleaning the outside with a brush and fuel before using the bath is a good idea as you do not want to vibrate small particles into the openings...
                  Do not leave out the final step of squirting cleaner through all the passage ways and holes!!

Comment

I know old thread....but

I looked at an old Yamaha 400XS and decided to buy it. At the time I was working at a place that had an ultrasonic cleaner. When I looked at the bike it was flooding out the right cylinder so I took the float bowl off and checked and one of the passages was clogged. I took the float bowl with me to work the next day and tossed it in the ultrasonic tank for bout an hour and reinstalled it on the bike. Bammo! No more flooding. I don't remember what the solution was in the tank but it wasn't anything that strong. Just my experience.

Comment

Working...
                    X