Post a picture of your custom GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Interceptor View Post

Wow! That is a very very cool and professional looking build. You are a real artist.

I am having a bit of difficulty understanding how your shock travel works, and I wonder if the rocker arm is the right shape? It looks to me like the upward travel of the swing arm might only be half an inch at most before the very minimal vertical travel available through the rocker arm rotation was maxed out and impose a rotational load on the cross rail that it is mounted to.

I ain't an engineer so/and could very likely be looking at it ass backward, but that is my question/concern regarding your very beautiful build.

Comment

Windcrow, how about a pic of your bike in the correct orientation?

I hope to be here by the end of next year... I think mine's gonna be red though.

Comment

My 80 1100 with Bandit swingarm, switches & gauges, Gsxr wheels, front end, rear sets, jetted with a pipe. The results are .........power all over the rev range, lighter more maneuverable bike, better brakes & tires etc.

It'll be getting paint & detailing over the winter. Right now I'm having too much fun riding.

Paul
        80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Green View Post
          I am having a bit of difficulty understanding how your shock travel works, and I wonder if the rocker arm is the right shape? It looks to me like the upward travel of the swing arm might only be half an inch at most before the very minimal vertical travel available through the rocker arm rotation was maxed out and impose a rotational load on the cross rail that it is mounted to.

I ain't an engineer so/and could very likely be looking at it ass backward, but that is my question/concern regarding your very beautiful build.

You are right, but you need to realize that the pushrod has the smallest travel of any part of the system. In normal riding where you may see 1" of wheel travel there's only .2" pushrod/rocker travel which results in about .45" shock travel. The swingarm ratio is about 5:1. The rocker ratio is variable from 1:1.5 at full droop to 1:3 at full compression, resulting in progressive wheel rate. I have static sag and rider sag set up to typical sport bike specs and it rides very well. The shape and placement of the rocker pivot is not ideal, but it works. A few of the pictures make it look worse than it is. Some of my design was influenced by existing parts (rocker, shock, GS frame), I wanted to use the forged rocker so I made some compromises. I can make it better by fabricating a new rocker and shortening the pushrod, but there's really no need. The shock bottoms out before the rocker runs out of travel, but with the ratios of the linkage and high spring rate it doesn't even come close to bottoming out. All of the pivots are on needle roller bearings so friction is minimal and the races are sandwiched between plates so there is little or no shear force on the bolts. The cross bar is gussetted to the backbones on the top side, it's almost impossible to see in the pictures.

Comment

You are right, but you need to realize that the pushrod has the smallest travel of any part of the system. In normal riding where you may see 1" of wheel travel there's only .2" pushrod/rocker travel which results in about .45" shock travel. The swingarm ratio is about 5:1. The rocker ratio is variable from 1:1.5 at full droop to 1:3 at full compression, resulting in progressive wheel rate. I have static sag and rider sag set up to typical sport bike specs and it rides very well. The shape and placement of the rocker pivot is not ideal, but it works. A few of the pictures make it look worse than it is. Some of my design was influenced by existing parts (rocker, shock, GS frame), I wanted to use the forged rocker so I made some compromises. I can make it better by fabricating a new rocker and shortening the pushrod, but there's really no need. The shock bottoms out before the rocker runs out of travel, but with the ratios of the linkage and high spring rate it doesn't even come close to bottoming out. All of the pivots are on needle roller bearings so friction is minimal and the races are sandwiched between plates so there is little or no shear force on the bolts. The cross bar is gussetted to the backbones on the top side, it's almost impossible to see in the pictures.

Thank you for your detailed explanation. I am real glad that you haven't cocked it up, and I sort of understand (but difficult to fully appreciate without seeing the movement range of the push arm and rocker). I really am impressed with your build and have saved the pics in case I ever get my own one finished and want to do another. As it is I am thinking of stealing your braced swing arm.

Comment

Nice!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
              My 80 1100 with Bandit swingarm, switches & gauges, Gsxr wheels, front end, rear sets, jetted with a pipe. The results are .........power all over the rev range, lighter more maneuverable bike, better brakes & tires etc.

It'll be getting paint & detailing over the winter. Right now I'm having too much fun riding.

Paul

Comment

My '78 GS1000.

I really like what youve done with the lower part of the swingarm..looks like vintage superbike...the entire bike is great...very nice work!

DDM

Comment

A few details to finish but this is basically it:

Comment

Still a work in progress...

Comment

Interceptor,

I'm concerned that..... "Your Nuts"

Are going to get caught in that spring as it compresses going over a speed bump.

Otherwise sweet build.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post

Interceptor,

I'm concerned that..... "Your Nuts"

Are going to get caught in that spring as it compresses going over a speed bump.

Otherwise sweet build.
                        Yes crazy as all hell, but a good kind of crazy..............

Comment

I think Isloeoman meant "your nuts" literally..

Comment

Nice job,well done.

Originally posted by scaylabs View Post
                            A few details to finish but this is basically it:

1978 GS1000C
                            1979 GS1000E
                            1980 GS1000E
                            2004 Roadstar

Comment

The before pic. July 2008

Comment

Todays pic. Still along way to go.