82 650 Fork Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 650 Fork Rebuild

Hey all! I've got an 82 GS650, and the front end is pretty soft. I'm looking to rebuild soon. I've searched, and found a few decent articles on the process, but it leaves me with a few questions:
    1. What do I need to do the job completely? Any "gotchas" here? I'd hate to get things torn apart only to find I need a special tool to unforseen consumable item.
    2. Reccomended supplier of seals, springs, etc?
    3. Anything else I'm not asking?
    Thanks as always for the help!

-b

dont bother rebuilding unless it leaks. progressive springs are the way to go.

Comment

Leaking what? Air? Oil? They just feel so soft....

Comment

If they leak oil you'll see a mess on the tubes. This won't make the forks particularly soft, just bouncy. None of the reviews back in the 80s complained about soft forks, and you can firm them up nicely with about 10 psi on each side, if all the o-rings and fork seals are good. Progressive springs and 15 weight oil give a very nice ride with little diving at stops. That's what I use in my 650G.

Comment

I agree with Physics-Teacher. My 650 was very soft with poor response; I cannibalized my 550 forks (Progressive) and put 15-weight oil in and now it handles great.

Air and heavy weight oil might help some, but progressives are really the way to go.

BTW - I went with "Leak Proof" seals, they're suppose to be easier to install and have a lifetime warranty.

Comment

Did any of you guys fit a spacer above the progressive springs and how long was it if it was fitted.
            My progressive springs are about 2" shorter than the combined length of the two original springs (one short & one long).
            Cheers

Comment

Don I think I have about an inch long spacer on top of progressive springs. I am also running 20 weight oil. The fork is a little too stiff this way; I will either drop fluid level or go with 15 weight oil to smooth out some of the smaller bumps that seem to be transmitted more than I would like. I do like the feel with the progressives and don't miss the nose dive during braking.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                Did any of you guys fit a spacer above the progressive springs and how long was it if it was fitted.
                Cheers
                Yes.

One watch out: maybe the G is different, but on my L, the inner bore of the fork tube gets smaller about an inch from the top (poke around with a piece of wire and flashlight to confirm). The usual PVC plumbing tubing would not work for that reason - it was slightly too big to fit the lower bore.

But another plumbing item came to the rescue: the copper coupler for copper tubing was just the right diameter and length. The wall seem a bit thin, though, so I increased it by adding short pieces of the copper tubing that it normally couples. Works a treat. Will try to get photos later this week.

Comment

Working...
                X