do the young ones like older sport bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do the young ones like older sport bikes

i just love all UJMs, but i am from that time [ 61]. what reaction do you get from the younger generation on crotch rockets when you pull up on your old SUZUKI. are they interested in them.

My experience is they ignore it and see it as old junk but I have had a lot of our age guys admire it. Dan

Comment

The true Motorcycle Enthusiasts are. The generally recognize the liniage from the old UJMs to the crotch rocket they are mounted on. From them, I get mostly the approving nod, a knowing smile...Occasionally he'll lean over and ask what year..thumbs up, and he doesnt try to get into a d!ck measuring contest when the light changes green. We both know a modern sportbike would walk away from a stock UJM like it was a BMX. He's got nothing to prove and neither do I.

Unfortunately, around here, most of the guys on crotch rockets have no idea of the heritage and tradition of their machines. Instead of looking over and respecting and admiring it, as the forefather of their current machine, the feel the need to prove that their wee lil John Thomas must certainly be bigger than mine, because they have a 400lb, 160HP plastic covered two wheeled missile by blipping the throttle at me. I just let them blast away at the light generally, allowing them to either get the ticket, or look like an ass. And 90% of the time, when we get to twisty section of the roads, I will catch up, because they really cant ride unless its a straight line, and either torment them by hanging in their mirror, forcing them to either ride faster or be overtaken, or I will simply over take them, sometimes being a TOTAL ass, yanno cos i can be, steering with one hand and waving to them as i go by. (Hey, I learned it by watching you! LOL) Its all in good fun to me...

Comment

Originally posted by not a biker View Post
        i just love all UJMs, but i am from that time [ 61]. what reaction do you get from the younger generation on crotch rockets when you pull up on your old SUZUKI. are they interested in them.
        Who really cares what they think.Me,I love 'em.Anyone who knows bikes , young or old ,appreciate these big old girls.I get any number of positive comments from old farts AND young farts.Generally though , the young blokes around my area are into their bikes and as such , admire any bike that's in good fettle.A lot of people are really surprised that my GS is nearly 30 years old and even more surprised when that beautiful big headlight is still in their mirrors at the end of a stretch of twisties (more so when she blasts around the outside of them--I just can't help myself sometimes).Have you had a bad experience recently old mate?? Cheers,Simon.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Younger kids 18-24 generally seem ignorant to what and why we choose to ride what or how we do. They are up on the carbon fiber whatzits and super alloy whosits with their gf's riding 10 feet higher on back (theater seating on a bike), with sandles to protect her feet, super short shorts to protect her pretty legs and a skimpy top to protect her upper body and some sun glasses to protect her head with. Nice eye candy, but no brains.

However, I had an opportunity to join a six rider group of sport bikes and I would have to say it was a lot of fun. I was coming home from work one evening and I see a group of bikes approaching in the mirror and everyone of the guys were suited up, and all looked over and gave the nod, thumbs up or waive. I joined in the staggered formation and had a ball of a time getting home.

Usually I get a smirk from the young guys flying by in shorts, overly product'd hair and some oakleys with their helmit dangling off of the holder.

The other typical rider is the HD guy that keeps his chin up as he rides past you and never acknowledges that you're also on two wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
            Who really cares what they think.Me,I love 'em.Anyone who knows bikes , young or old ,appreciate these big old girls.I get any number of positive comments from old farts AND young farts.Generally though , the young blokes around my area are into their bikes and as such , admire any bike that's in good fettle.A lot of people are really surprised that my GS is nearly 30 years old and even more surprised when that beautiful big headlight is still in their mirrors at the end of a stretch of twisties (more so when she blasts around the outside of them--I just can't help myself sometimes).Have you had a bad experience recently old mate?? Cheers,Simon.
            na just do not want to look out of place in a mass of plastic fantastic bikes.
            recently i had the chance to put some seat time on a new B KING, ZX!14 and a 06 V MAX o yea and a FZ !000. fast but not my type of ride.

Comment

I'm from 78 & I like them... My skunk has the same birthday as me!
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Have rode my bike down by beach in summer, go down there for a ProntoPup (corndog) or a beach burritio. Is often a group of 10-15 sport bikes here or there, mostly all guys in their 20s I would guess. This is usally in a place near where traffic slows to a stop. Can almost see them snearing, as if to say "scheesch, old guy with white mustash, on old bike". I like to come to a slow stop, then put out one foot. Then pull away and lift foot at about same time.

I can park somewhere nearby and walk around, seems that seldom anybody is interested. I can't really converse about this or that geewizz XXRRZXRZ either, so I don't try. On rare occassion might have some one ask me what year. Is it rude of me to say "1982, maybe that is a significant year for you too"...?

Last edited by Redman; 10-31-2008, 04:14 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Wow can't believe what I'm hearing, I get a million qustions on my GS1100ez, most from young and old alike, they comment on the condition, they ask if its fast all the usual; but the younger crowd always stops and does a kind of double take--maybe its because the bike is almost perfect--or maybe I just get a little throttle happy as i pull away--but young and old seem to know about this bike and love it!!

Comment

I'm 19, and you'll never see me riding any of the new crap that has come out lately. My first bike was a Honda Trail 90, and boy did I get some odd looks from the other guys my age. I'm ignored by all the guys my age, but I get tons of compliments from older guys. I got the most when I was riding a '71 Honda CB-450 that was bright yellow; guys would run across parking lots to ask me about it. I guess I don't really care what other people think, I'm going to ride my bike and enjoy it, no matter what

Comment

I mostly get ignored. (I'm 28, which makes me a young one.) Occasionally an old-timer will get excited and chatty. My mailman saw me starting my bike one morning and said he'd love to have a GS1100, like the one his uncle died on in the 80s, but that his wife won't let him.

Comment

Well, I grew up liking motorycles. Period. Not cruisers. Not crotch rockets. Not UJMs. Not standards. And still, I just like motorcycles. Seems I can always find something interesting and usually something to like about pretty much any bike I come across. Shoot...I'd even take a HD if it came free of charge...

Comment

Originally posted by cromwell1234 View Post
                          Wow can't believe what I'm hearing, I get a million qustions on my GS1100ez, most from young and old alike, they comment on the condition, they ask if its fast all the usual; but the younger crowd always stops and does a kind of double take--maybe its because the bike is almost perfect--or maybe I just get a little throttle happy as i pull away--but young and old seem to know about this bike and love it!!
                          a 82 gs 1100ez is one beautyful motorcycle time less. my 84 gs1150 es with that locomotive light and all that plastic is not as pretty. but it is the first gs i found in very good shape so i took it. i had a new 82 gs1100 and it will always be my all time fav.

Comment

vintage is where it's at

I had a 16 year old kid that was taking the MSF class with my wife look at my 1983 GS1100E and ask me if it was like the bikes that he saw on the movie Mad Max. I told him "you could say that, kinda same but different". It was good to know that he watched those "old movies".

Comment

im only 23 and all my friends drive crotch rockets....

they just ignore my bike, if i ask them if they wanna ride it they laugh at me...

kinda ****es me off since my bike is like the grandfather to the modern sport bike. arg.

Comment

Working...
                              X